Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2018 Pennsylvania Special Election Results

ExpandMyMind

Democrat Conor Lamb faced GOP state Rep. Rick Saccone in a special election on Tuesday in Pennsylvania's 18th Congressional District, which covers much of southwestern Pennsylvania, including some Pittsburgh suburbs. Read full coverage of the race here.

At 11:24 p.m. EDT, the Associated Press decided the race was too close to call. As of 12:20 a.m., Lamb led Saccone by 579 votes with absentee votes still outstanding in Greene and Washington counties.

A neck-and-neck race in a district that Trump won by 20 points.

Even if Saccone manages to pull back after the absentee votes are counted, this, especially considering Republican gerrymandering, is a massive loss for the Republicans.

Republicans really should be worried about a blue wave.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

It looks that way.  Lamb is the kind of Democrate of the past. Back in the day when I was a lot more in the center politicly. I wonder if this potential win will give a hint to the Dem's that if they stop continually moving to the left they might get people back that they ran off in the last 10 years.    I doubt it though.   

1 hour ago, Why not said:

It looks that way.  Lamb is the kind of Democrate of the past. Back in the day when I was a lot more in the center politicly. I wonder if this potential win will give a hint to the Dem's that if they stop continually moving to the left they might get people back that they ran off in the last 10 years.    I doubt it though.   

The thing is, that's a myth that stems from the Clinton era, where they thought they had to go super hard on crime in order to break the three term Republican streak. They likely did in that era, due to the rhetoric surrounding the drugs war - something we now know was bull, implemented largely to combat the Civil Rights movement and fund the prison industrial complex - but in general liberal views aren't as unpopular as they have been made out to be. In fact, if you read expert opinion from both sides, it's general knowledge that the reason Republicans do so well at a local level is because conservatives come out to vote every 2 years, whereas liberals usually just every 4. Apathy is the reason, basically.

The truth is that the Dems haven't really moved left. The Republicans, since the rise of talk radio, have been moving farther and farther right. They are practically extremists in their anti-science, anti-progressive, conspiracy theory based views.

Couple that with the very real implementation of gerrymandering, and the current red US government isn't quote as indicative of the views of the overall US population as it first looks.

What this recent wave of blue wins (and there have been quite a few) more likely shows is that Trump is backfiring. He even brought in tarrifs directed toward Pittsburgh especially for this election and that doesn't look to have been enough. Trump has given the liberals the kick up the backside that they needed. He, and this current Republican government with their massive tax breaks and gutting of health care, have shown what the seeds of apathy can sow.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

The thing is, that's a myth that stems from the Clinton era, where they thought they had to go super hard on crime in order to break the three term Republican streak. They likely did in that era, due to the rhetoric surrounding the drugs war - something we now know was bull, implemented largely to combat the Civil Rights movement and fund the prison industrial complex - but in general liberal views aren't as unpopular as they have been made out to be. In fact, if you read expert opinion from both sides, it's general knowledge that the reason Republicans do so well at a local level is because conservatives come out to vote every 2 years, whereas liberals usually just every 4. Apathy is the reason, basically.

The truth is that the Dems haven't really moved left. The Republicans, since the rise of talk radio, have been moving farther and farther right. They are practically extremists in their anti-science, anti-progressive, conspiracy theory based views.

Couple that with the very real implementation of gerrymandering, and the current red US government isn't quote as indicative of the views of the overall US population as it first looks.

What this recent wave of blue wins (and there have been quite a few) more likely shows is that Trump is backfiring. He even brought in tarrifs directed toward Pittsburgh especially for this election and that doesn't look to have been enough. Trump has given the liberals the kick up the backside that they needed. He, and this current Republican government with their massive tax breaks and gutting of health care has shown what the seeds of apathy can sow.

With some issues they have moved much further left. With others, and we are talking the elected, not necessarily the people, They have moved neo con right. Though they have convinced a great many dems that we should start WW3 with Russia like yesterday.

The big election is a long ways off, I wouldn't get to confident just yet.

You know, even if the GOP guy wins, its this type of election that shows us why stopping illegals from voting is a absolute must. There is potentially several thousand illegals voting in this election. Last I saw there was less then 100 vote difference between them., For all we know the GOP guy easily won if not for the fact there is nothing standing in the way of illegals heading to the polls.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

You know, even if the GOP guy wins, its this type of election that shows us why stopping illegals from voting is a absolute must. There is potentially several thousand illegals voting in this election. Last I saw there was less then 100 vote difference between them., For all we know the GOP guy easily won if not for the fact there is nothing standing in the way of illegals heading to the polls.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone started with that excuse. There's a reason Republicans preempted these results with this tired old rhetoric. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I was wondering how long it would take before someone started with that excuse. There's a reason Republicans preempted these results with this tired old rhetoric. 

Well the fact is there is nothing to stop thousands of people from voting who are not allowed to vote, of course its going to come up, every single time, hopefully more loudly each time. Politics is a dirty dog eat dog game. You cant give one side a wild card and think it wont be played. You HAVE to assume its being played, cause chances are VERY high that it is.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

For all we know, the dem candidate would easily win if not for the army of lime green pixies voting for the GOP guy. But since I don't have any evidence of that happening, probably have to accept the result when it comes.

Jeez, at least wait until you lose before making excuses for it...

• Like 4

With only 200 or so absentee ballots to be counted and Lamb ahead by around 700 votes, NBC have called it for Lamb. 

Might be a recount but it's looking like a shocking Democrat win. 

The Dems have now flipped almost 40 legislative seats since Trump came into office.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Excuse? I made a thread about illegals voting in Pennsylvania. No conspiracy theory either as Penn officials not only admitted to it, they admitted it's been happening for decades.

So you better get used to Repubs harping on that "tired old rhetoric" because it's a known, confirmed truth. Now, how close were these elections results really? 

11 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Excuse? I made a thread about illegals voting in Pennsylvania. No conspiracy theory either as Penn officials not only admitted to it, they admitted it's been happening for decades.

So you better get used to Repubs harping on that "tired old rhetoric" because it's a known, confirmed truth. Now, how close were these elections results really? 

Except it wasn't actually properly verified. I read the thread. And in fact the whole point of that story was to preempt this exact loss for the Republicans, so that people like you could do what you're doing right now.

Maybe you should read my thread about gerrymandering. Do you feel that that demonstrably true issue is as important? Pennsylvania's courts sure do.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

With only 200 or so absentee ballots to be counted and Lamb ahead by around 700 votes, NBC have called it for Lamb. 

Might be a recount but it's looking like a shocking Democrat win. 

The Dems have now flipped almost 40 legislative seats since Trump came into office.

See @preacherman76, this is the time to start making excuses.

• Like 2

12.83 million people in Pennsylvania and only 226,000 voted.  Perhaps instead of complaining about election fraud, people should work on encouraging people to vote and making it easier for them to so?  Especially, if over 100,000 of them are illegals like Dark Grey claimed in the other thread. 

6 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

12.83 million people in Pennsylvania and only 226,000 voted.  Perhaps instead of complaining about election fraud, people should work on encouraging people to vote and making it easier for them to so?  Especially, if over 100,000 of them are illegals like Dark Grey claimed in the other thread. 

As far as I know, this was only one District, not the entire state.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

As far as I know, this was only one District, not the entire state.

Ah, then the low numbers make sense.

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

Ah, then the low numbers make sense.

Wiki says the population is around 710,000, but a fair percentage will be too young to vote. Probably still a pretty low turnout, as it is with most elections these days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Even if Saccone manages to pull back after the absentee votes are counted, this, especially considering Republican gerrymandering, is a massive loss for the Republicans.

I have to wonder if this will end up being a coin toss to decide who won after all the votes are recounted at the GOP request sadly  LOL

I have to respect Lamb for not excepting PAC money although faced with intense GOP option in this race. Unions are still strong to bring out new voters in this part of PA. I had my doubts that he could do this well. 

Edited by White Unicorn

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Except it wasn't actually properly verified. I read the thread. And in fact the whole point of that story was to preempt this exact loss for the Republicans, so that people like you could do what you're doing right now.

Maybe you should read my thread about gerrymandering. Do you feel that that demonstrably true issue is as important? Pennsylvania's courts sure do.

Was it? Illegal votes in Penn is non-contestable. NBC, FOX and all the big players have reported on it to varying degrees. What is contestable is how many illegal votes were cast and how. Some sources say it was a glitch in the driver's license registration system, others say it was deliberately allowed. Either way, the numbers range from several hundred to several hundred thousand. Penn Officials are not denying it so unless they are part of some big media scheme to soften a Repub loss, I don't see how it benefits them to admit to it. 

If you can believe Russian trolls swayed the American election with online memes, you can believe States sympathetic to illegals allowed a few extra votes to slip by. Whether through incompetence or pure anti-Trump sentiment.

6 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

All of the moderates (which is the majority of the country,) that held their noses and voted for Trump are dividing in to even smaller groups as some are impressed by Trump and others have been turned off enough to vote Blue. I think the next election will be very close, regardless of what the media circus says. Maybe by some freak occurrence everyone will decide to vote third party and truly upset the apple cart and make some change..

8 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Was it? Illegal votes in Penn is non-contestable. NBC, FOX and all the big players have reported on it to varying degrees. What is contestable is how many illegal votes were cast and how. Some sources say it was a glitch in the driver's license registration system, others say it was deliberately allowed. Either way, the numbers range from several hundred to several hundred thousand. Penn Officials are not denying it so unless they are part of some big media scheme to soften a Repub loss, I don't see how it benefits them to admit to it. 

If you can believe Russian trolls swayed the American election with online memes, you can believe States sympathetic to illegals allowed a few extra votes to slip by. Whether through incompetence or pure anti-Trump sentiment.

The NBC article: 

Pennsylvania Probe: 1 in 172,000 Votes Possibly Illegal

So that's a total of, what? Less than 2 votes last night?

Even the Fox article only claims a few hundred out of 1.5m total Philadelphia citizens.

Like I said, unverified. The truth is that voter fraud is largely a myth. Or severely overestimated. If it weren't, you can bet that Republicans would have already invested more than enough to prove it beyond reasonable doubt. Instead, Trump was forced to disband the commission, the reason for which is obvious to anyone who isn't grabbing onto this excuse any time a Republican loses and election.

Several hundred thousand? Get a grip.

• Like 3