Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pet dog dies on United Airlines flight

Still Waters

A dog has died on a United Airlines flight after an attendant forced the animal’s owner to put the pet in the cabin’s overhead bin. The airline said it was taking full responsibility.

On United Flight 1284 from Houston to New York on Monday, a woman who was flying with children and a small dog was pressured by a flight attendant to put her dog in overhead storage during the three-and-a-half-hour flight.

According to fellow passenger Maggie Gremminger, the woman wanted to keep the dog, which was in a small carrying bag, under her seat, but the flight attendant insisted that she put the animal overhead.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/14/dog-dies-on-united-airlines-flight-after-being-forced-into-overhead-locker

Dog owner says United disregarded her pet’s barks for help before it died in overhead bin

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dog-owner-united-disregarded-pet-barks-article-1.3873638

I will never fly United, even if were the last airline on the planet. :angry:

They would have had a fight with me, NO way would I put my dog in an overhead bin. Even if it wasn't my dog I would have made a stink, that unbelievably cruel to do that to a dog.   If they are going to charge $200 to take a pet on the plane, then make a space in the cabin with ventilation, where their safety is monitored and can be accessed by the owner.  I have read about pugs dying under the seat, because there isn't enough ventilation for them under there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

They would have had a fight with me, NO way would I put my dog in an overhead bin. Even if it wasn't my dog I would have made a stink, that is unbelievably cruel to do that to a dog.   

No kidding! The dog must have been barking the entire flight, scared out of it's mind. It's shocking they would have even suggested doing this.

wow, great job AA,   next to you Aeroflot looks like top of the line company, even north Korean airline does not sound that bad after stories like that

Edited by aztek

33 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

What‘s the cause of its death?

They didn't say, United said in one of the articles they offered to do an autopsy. I would say being it was in the closed overhead bin it suffocated.   

31 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

They didn't say, United said in one of the articles they offered to do an autopsy. I would say being it was in the closed overhead bin it suffocated.   

I know they didn't say, that is why I asked. ;)

But overhead bins are not air tight? Also: I would have checked on it regularly. 

1 hour ago, FLOMBIE said:

But overhead bins are not air tight? Also: I would have checked on it regularly. 

Maybe that's where all the farts go.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

Maybe that's where all the farts go.

:lol:

But having experience with much longer flights, I can tell you: No, it's not. :cry:

• Like 1

In 2017, United had the highest number of animal deaths of any US carrier, according to a Department of Transportation (DOT) report, with 18 animals killed and 13 injured in transport.

Six animal deaths in total were reported from the other 16 carriers included in the DOT report.

:o

6 minutes ago, WoIverine said:

In 2017, United had the highest number of animal deaths of any US carrier, according to a Department of Transportation (DOT) report, with 18 animals killed and 13 injured in transport.

Six animal deaths in total were reported from the other 16 carriers included in the DOT report.

:o

Animals die a lot on flights anyway. Might be the pressure. I would not take the risk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLOMBIE said:

I know they didn't say, that is why I asked. ;)

I have never seen them with ventilation holes in them. The other bages crowded around the dog carrier would block off the dogs air holes in his carrier.  Plus brachycephalic dogs are sensitive to overheating.   Even the airline admitted the dog should not have been put in the overhead bin.   I hope the stewardess who made her put the dog up there was fired. The woman said they wouldn't let her check on the dog because of turbulence.    I don't understand why you defending this, you must not own a dog. Sometime you have no choice but to travel with your dog. No reason airlanes can make provisions for animals after all you pay for their travel. . I have a retired service dog, I would never let anyone do this to my dog. 

Edited by Grandpa Greenman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

oops double post

Edited by Grandpa Greenman

24 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I have never seen them with ventilation holes in them. The other bages crowded around the dog carrier would block off the dogs air holes in his carrier.  Plus brachycephalic dogs are sensitive to overheating.   Even the airline admitted the dog should not have been put in the overhead bin.   I hope the stewardess who made her put the dog up there was fired. The woman said they wouldn't let her check on the dog because of turbulence.    I don't understand why you defending this, you must not own a dog. Sometime you have no choice but to travel with your dog. No reason airlanes can make provisions for animals after all you pay for their travel. . I have a retired service dog, I would never let anyone do this to my dog. 

Overheating sounds a lot more plausible for me. But it might be somewhere in the middle. Or a heart attack due to stress. 

What am I defending, by the way? I used to have pets. I would not let them treat my pets like that. Turbulence during the entire three and a half hours? Yeah, I would have checked nonetheless. I might even have taken it down after take off.  E: But like I said earlier: Because flying is dangerous for animals anyway, I would just not take the risk. 

Edited by FLOMBIE

I'd have got off the plane before I let them put a beloved pet in a locker meant for hand luggage, even if I'd have had to raise hell to do it.

• Like 3

unless the dog is small and travels with you, it is nightmare for a pet to be shipped by a plane.  i visit my friend in Toronto every few years,  we bring our dog with us, we always drive because of it,  no way i'll let anyone put my dog in the cage in cargo bay, i'd rather drive 11 hours there and 11 back

• Like 1

The flight attendant wasnt aware about the United SOP for in-cabin pets:

A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times. The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm). The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm). Soft-sided pet carriers may exceed these dimensions slightly, as they are collapsible and able to conform to under-seat space without blocking the aisle. With the exception of birds, there may only be one pet per kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. Two birds may travel in the same kennel.

In-Cabin pets United