Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive student walk-out

pallidin

4 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

It's just inconceivable to these people that teenagers are actually competent enough to mobilize a resistance on their own.

Guess that's what happens when you spend so much of the time dissin' the younger generation as 'going to hell in a hand basket'.

"The nationwide march, organized by Women’s March Youth Empower"

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/5195960/national-school-walkout-march-14

"But the idea originated with EMPOWER, the youth branch of the Women's March"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/us/national-school-walkout-march-14/index.html

Just about every other news article mentions them being organized by a third party, just cause you refuse it to be true doesn't mean it isnt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I really don't understand the push back on this.   People just aren't being honest with themselves. 

I don't understand the pushback on half this stuff. Conservatives seem to feel so threatened by simply acknowledging that they or America in general has issues. I have no problems expressing my issues, it's the only way to fix them. It must stem from some form of insecurity or something.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Alright! How do you know? Where are you getting your information that says different? 

I'm sure, you would be able to link or list the sources that tells you why you believe what you do. 

Because it started with Tweets, straight after the recent massacre, posted by the students who experienced it first hand. Unless people think they were approached right after their friends had been killed? It has gradually grown from that.

And that's not how this works. I'm not making a claim, I'm disputing an unverified claim (that organisations are behind the protests instead of the students themselves). The burden of proof does not actually lie with me.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

from real world observations,  it is hard enough to organize a school trip for a small group, even with involvement of few adults, and you think they all organised by themselves across the country , at coordinated times....  nope i do not buy it for a second

"Evidence? Look at the evidence around you!" is not evidence, and it sure isn't an argument.

Unless you care to present actual facts and site sources, you're wasting everybody's time.

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

absolutely, and precisely so.

Then you are the very definition of too far gone... I pity you...

• Like 2

Just now, aztek said:
4 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Alright! How do you know? Where are you getting your information that says different? 

from real world observations,  it is hard enough to organize a school trip for a small group, even with involvement of few adults, and you think they all organised by themselves across the country , at coordinated times....  nope i do not buy it for a second

Great! That's why you don't believe it. I'm not saying you should, if you don't. But, I can tell you there are certain things, albait it being hard to organize, the reason for it, tends to smooth out and get organize for the reason behind it. That's why I believe it can be. Both your's and my experiences and observations are subjective. And also why the response and the point behind that, can differ. 

So when you're making statements on a social board, I would think you want to be believed as well objectively, right? So, if you want others to believe something you do, you would show proof, right? They don't have to believe it, if they can't see it. And there's a big chance their real world observations could be different from your's, right? Your 'real world observations' is subjective, and an objective source could prove your point. 

• Like 2

My kids school is giving them 17 minutes to walk out during study hall. Organized by the school.

7 minutes ago, aztek said:
10 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, sure. Because YouTube videos and personal experiences are better at determining reality than statistics and polls any day. :rolleyes:

absolutely, and precisely so.

I don't. As there are reputable channels and sites, there are non-reputable ones too. One really need to have a step back outlook in it all. One example, my husband was asked to do an interview for a new's source for something, and though seeing the end result of the televised interview, my husband pointed out that one answer he gave, to a question that was presented on the tv article, wasn't entirely in the order or said in the way that was presented. He told me, they asked a different type question, that had him answer in the way that he answered. It was just how it got edited to show him answering something, that really isn't what he meant. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stubbly_Dooright said:

So when you're making statements on a social board, I would think you want to be believed as well objectively, right? So, if you want others to believe something you do, you would show proof, right?

it's like flat earth. do i really have to give proof that earth is not flat. i mean if someone can not see it from myriads of things we observe each day\night, posting common knowledge is not gonna do much. same here, everything i say is ether easily proven, with links, as it has been here, (thou it was not me who found multiple links, and proved me right, i just did not feel i need to post a proof that water is wet)  or simple observation of surrounding reality is usually enough. thou not everyone sees it, just like round earth

Edited by aztek

4 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

"The nationwide march, organized by Women’s March Youth Empower"

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/5195960/national-school-walkout-march-14

"But the idea originated with EMPOWER, the youth branch of the Women's March"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/us/national-school-walkout-march-14/index.html

Just about every other news article mentions them being organized by a third party, just cause you refuse it to be true doesn't mean it isnt.

As ExpandMyMind stated earlier, you're confusing cause and effect.

Of course these organizations officially organized it, but the organizations reached out in reaction to the kids themselves starting a movement. These organizations wouldn't be doing squat to help them if it weren't for the kids themselves out there working as activists for the cause.

What you're arguing is that these kids actions were solely motivated by these left-wing groups, and that they essentially don't believe a word of what they're doing or don't really care. That it's all politically driven by these organizations, and that the kids are being used by them. Nothing more. That's the conspiracy that the right-wing keeps perpetuating out of thin air, which is nonsense and has absolutely nothing to back it up.

• Like 3

I don't. As there are reputable channels and sites, there are non-reputable ones too. One really need to have a step back outlook in it all. One example, my husband was asked to do an interview for a new's source for something, and though seeing the end result of the televised interview, my husband pointed out that one answer he gave, to a question that was presented on the tv article, wasn't entirely in the order or said in the way that was presented. He told me, they asked a different type question, that had him answer in the way that he answered. It was just how it got edited to show him answering something, that really isn't what he meant. 

so reality you see with your own eyes, or  a video from a real event, is not enough for you  to believe, you need outside sources to confirm what you see?

Coordination is easy--they use a thing called the internet. A solid core of them are expressing views, keenly felt. That being said, the majority of them are using it as an excuse to skip class and be holier-than-thou about it, too. Such is the nature of "student protests". Been there, done that. In the mean time, just how impressed does anyone think the gangs and nutcases who commit acts of violence in school are going to be? Feel-good gestures are just that--they feel good.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I personally think the schools that are punishing truancy, is not helping. (Remember, this is my personal opinion) In one sense, I can see the conundrum on dealing with their students and discipline, but this act is showing how people mean business. 
I'm not knocking your schools showing respect for the victims. I think, as well, that's great. And I'm glad they're doing that. But the walk out, is showing how a message is trying to get through, the way I see it. From the various new's outlets I have been reading and watching,even teachers are walking and parents want their children to do this.

I personally think that the schools should not punish those who participate in the walkout to show more to this message. 

It's a can of worm they don't want to open and I don't blame them.    If students are allowed to walkout for any reason they, or a political party or movement chooses, it is tough to go back.   If students decided to walk out in protest to illegal immigrants, should they be allowed.  If the right leaning groups facilitated it.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

it's like flat earth. do i really have to give proof that earth is not flat. i mean if someone can not see it from myriads of things we observe each day\night, posting common knowledge is not gonna do much. same here, everything i say is ether easily proven, with links, as it has been here, (thou it was not me who found multiple links, and proved me right, i just did not feel i need to post a proof that water is wet)  or simple observation of surrounding reality is usually enough. thou not everyone sees it, just like round earth

How horrendously delusional does one have to be to equate flat-eartherism to this crap?...

EDIT: Let me just add, people can easily prove the Earth is not flat. Go to the flat earther thread and you'll see what I mean. There are posts littered all over with various evidences that overwhelmingly prove the Earth to be round. What DarkHunter posted were links that show that various organizations were involved in the event. That does not equate to the kids actions and motivations being manufactured by them. This should be common sense, but unfortunately it isn't.

Edited by Aquila King
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I don't understand the pushback on half this stuff. Conservatives seem to feel so threatened by simply acknowledging that they or America in general has issues. I have no problems expressing my issues, it's the only way to fix them. It must stem from some form of insecurity or something.

The problem is that the protests/walk outs are meant to point out an issue that is usually a "leftist issue". If they were doing it to demand MORE guns and less laws the tables would be turned.

• Like 2

Just now, Myles said:

It's a can of worm they don't want to open and I don't blame them.    If students are allowed to walkout for any reason they, or a political party or movement chooses, it is tough to go back.   If students decided to walk out in protest to illegal immigrants, should they be allowed.  If the right leaning groups facilitated it.  

that wont happen digressive school system brainwashed them into believing illegal immigration is good, and anyone saying other wise labeled racist, suspended, ...among other things.

Just now, Aquila King said:

How horrendously delusional does one have to be to equate flat-eartherism to this crap?...

not nearly as delusional as you are, btw your posts show strong sign of brain damage, you just can't  see anything else besides your opinion. just like in your fundamentalism thread., ironically you are the "right" person to open such thread, lol

Edited by aztek

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Narcisse said:

The problem is that the protests/walk outs are meant to point out an issue that is usually a "leftist issue". If they were doing it to demand MORE guns and less laws the tables would be turned.

The solution to mass-shootings isn't a 'leftist issue', it's a common sense issue founded on facts and statistics. These 'leftists' just happen to be the only ones addressing the issue while the GOP continues to live in their own reality.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

As ExpandMyMind stated earlier, you're confusing cause and effect.

Of course these organizations officially organized it, but the organizations reached out in reaction to the kids themselves starting a movement. These organizations wouldn't be doing squat to help them if it weren't for the kids themselves out there working as activists for the cause.

What you're arguing is that these kids actions were solely motivated by these left-wing groups, and that they essentially don't believe a word of what they're doing or don't really care. That it's all politically driven by these organizations, and that the kids are being used by them. Nothing more. That's the conspiracy that the right-wing keeps perpetuating out of thin air, which is nonsense and has absolutely nothing to back it up.

There is going to be some small left wing group in these students that believe in what they are doing but pretending that all of them do also has absolutely no backing.  I am willing to bet most of those students have no real idea about why they are marching but instead see it as a way to get on the news and get out of classes for a day.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, aztek said:
8 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

So when you're making statements on a social board, I would think you want to be believed as well objectively, right? So, if you want others to believe something you do, you would show proof, right?

it's like flat earth. do i really have to give proof that earth is not flat.

I'm not sure, if I'm understanding you correctly but...........................

You actually believe in that the world is flat? Please, correct me, if I'm misunderstanding you. 

i mean if someone can not see it from myriads of things we observe each day\night, posting common knowledge is not gonna do much.

But, that is all subjective. I don't think it matters how obvious you think it is, you should still do it, if you want to be taken seriously. Even if I don't believe in flat Earth based on varying sources and such, I have been in various high places to see the horizon to see how it would show me it's round. 

Who is to say that common knowledge is definitely common 100 percent? 

same here, everything i say is ether easily proven, with links, as it has been here, (thou it was not me who found multiple links, and proved me right, i just did not feel i need to post a prof that water is wet)  or simple observation of surrounding reality is usually enough. thou not everyone sees it, just like round earth

And though we all need water, sometimes one probably cannot see that living life long in a desert. Also, one can't use the example of water is wet, to proving one group is organizing something because of agenda. I think that not all things are not 'common knowledge' or 'obvious'. In fact, comparing the example of 'water is wet' to 'the left is behind the walkout because of their own agenda' is not a good comparison in my opinion. If there are those that don't believe you, well there must be a reason behind that. 

You know in the end, if you're not believed, then it's not on them, it's on you. They don't have to believe you. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Coordination is easy--they use a thing called the internet. A solid core of them are expressing views, keenly felt. That being said, the majority of them are using it as an excuse to skip class and be holier-than-thou about it, too. Such is the nature of "student protests". Been there, done that. In the mean time, just how impressed does anyone think the gangs and nutcases who commit acts of violence in school are going to be? Feel-good gestures are just that--they feel good.

We live in a new time where outrage has become recreational. It's fun to post selfies at protests just to let everyone know you are part of "the resistance®". We saw a lot of that at the Women's March. I figure at any given protest, 30% are there to make a change and the remaining 70% are there to hang out, take pictures, make cardboard signs and earn social brownie points. 

This is why interviewing protesters has become somewhat of a joke. Most of the people you see on camera can't tell you what the main talking points are because, well, that's not really what they came for. Unfortunately, fair-weather participants are diluting the message at these events.

• Like 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

The solution to mass-shootings isn't a 'leftist issue', it's a common sense issue founded on facts and statistics. These 'leftists' just happen to be the only ones addressing the issue while the GOP continues to live in their own reality.

I agree. But it has unfortunately (as with everything) been framed as a Left vs. Right issue because in the past wanting it more difficult to get a weapon of murder has been a leftist talking point. So instead of seeing common sense and rational arguments all people on the right see is an attack on the 2nd amendment.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

not nearly as delusional as you are, btw your posts show strong sign of brain damage, you just can't  see anything else besides your opinion. just like in your fundamentalism thread.,

I can't see anything as true that has no evidence or rational argument to back it up.

There are plenty of things that have evidence and good arguments to back them up that I disagree with people on. What you're doing is entirely different. You're making up bull**** with absolutely no evidence and expecting me to take your 'opinion' seriously. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

You can call me brain damaged all you want. I'll just continue to respond to your lunacy as a rational human being.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

There is going to be some small left wing group in these students that believe in what they are doing but pretending that all of them do also has absolutely no backing.  I am willing to bet most of those students have no real idea about why they are marching but instead see it as a way to get on the news and get out of classes for a day.

This isn't about whether a certain portion of students are just taking advantage of the situation to get out of class. This is about where did this movement originate from? Did it come from the minds of students who wanted to promote activism? Or did it originate entirely from the activism of certain left-wing groups. Your conspiracy theory here is that the idea was fully originated from certain left-wing groups, to which there is absolutely no basis for your claim.

• Like 2

I'm not sure, if I'm understanding you correctly but...........................

You actually believe in that the world is flat? Please, correct me, if I'm misunderstanding you. 

But, that is all subjective. I don't think it matters how obvious you think it is, you should still do it, if you want to be taken seriously. Even if I don't believe in flat Earth based on varying sources and such, I have been in various high places to see the horizon to see how it would show me it's round. 

Who is to say that common knowledge is definitely common 100 percent? 

And though we all need water, sometimes one probably cannot see that living life long in a desert. Also, one can't use the example of water is wet, to proving one group is organizing something because of agenda. I think that not all things are not 'common knowledge' or 'obvious'. In fact, comparing the example of 'water is wet' to 'the left is behind the walkout because of their own agenda' is not a good comparison in my opinion. If there are those that don't believe you, well there must be a reason behind that. 

You know in the end, if you're not believed, then it's not on them, it's on you. They don't have to believe you. 

yes, however what i claimed here turned out to be truth, proven by multiple links, so i was right, my opinion and observations do reflect reality.  i see people were arguing my opinion as baseless, than after proof was posted they argue those articles. even thou it's clearly worded.  so what is the use?

if someone knows where to look there is water in a desert too, some see it some do not,