Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive student walk-out

pallidin

I applaud the local school where I live.  They are having a 17 second moment of silence for the people killed in Florida.   They are also having a meeting in the gym on April 20th (Columbine anniversary) to discuss school safety and let student share their opinions.   

Thus any student walking out today will be treated as any other truancy.  

• Like 6

I've seen a few of these events posted on Facebook. I see the frustration and the call to action to "force Congress to act" - but once again there seems to be a lot of activism with no clear plan. Just throwing rage at the Government until they do what? Ban guns? Ban bump stops or AR-15's? 

I want these mass shootings to stop as much as anyone but this is one tangled ball of yarn that can't be fixed over night.

• Like 7

There were too many signs ignored or missed in the last shooting. Maybe a good solution could be found someday to help combat gun violence within our schools.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

There were too many signs ignored or missed in the last shooting. Maybe a good solution could be found someday to help combat gun violence within our schools.

Like I said before. It's not a gun issue. It's a inaction issue. The signs were all there in all the current shootings and people ignored them...

• Like 8

Here is what Doctors have to face when confronted with this sickness:  http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2009/02/hlaw1-0902.html

While preventing violence is inherent in physicians' duty to patients and society, so too is the duty to safeguard patient confidence. Physicians delicately walk the line between ethics and law, particularly in the face of statutory obligations to breach the sacred duty of confidentiality—all to prevent violence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Like I said before. It's not a gun issue. It's a inaction issue. The signs were all there in all the current shootings and people ignored them...

I agree. And if you look at some of the past shooters like Lanza, Holmes, and Loughner, and I'm not trying to be funny here, but they look crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, South Alabam said:

I agree. And if you look at some of the past shooters like Lanza, Holmes, and Loughner, and I'm not trying to be funny here, but they look crazy.

Somebody buzzed Lanza in without looking...<_<

• Like 2

THESE LIBERAL *snip*  CAN BAN ANYTHING THEY WANT. PEOPLE WILL FIGURE OUT NEW WAYS TO KILL OTHERS! MY SON WAS KILLED WITH A *snip* CLOTHESLINE!!!!

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
language
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Piney said:

THESE LIBERAL *snip* CAN BAN ANYTHING THEY WANT. PEOPLE WILL FIGURE OUT NEW WAYS TO KILL OTHERS! MY SON WAS KILLED WITH A *snip* CLOTHESLINE!!!!

True, and extremely sad to hear that Piney.

quoted text
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

True, and extremely sad to hear that Piney.

OK! What's next school poisonings? IEDs? People need to pay attention!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yes to both. Some signs were ignored all the way up to the FBI. It does make you wonder how many shootings would still have occurred if the FBI or other law enforcement had stepped in early. The resources are there in the form of drag-net surveillance, civilian tips and so on. We should be examining the criteria for acting on said resources and what prevents the peace keepers from taking action. 

This leads to an all too familiar discussion on right to privacy vs. security. :wacko: I honestly wish I had the answer

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I've seen a few of these events posted on Facebook. I see the frustration and the call to action to "force Congress to act" - but once again there seems to be a lot of activism with no clear plan. Just throwing rage at the Government until they do what? Ban guns? Ban bump stops or AR-15's? 

I want these mass shootings to stop as much as anyone but this is one tangled ball of yarn that can't be fixed over night.

Agreed its a huge mess and cant be fixed overnight. I am however grateful for these kinds of demonstrations keeping the conversation alive. 

Due to 4 different threats to my kids schools over this school year alone I am currently debating whether sending my kid to school on Friday is worth it because all they'll be doing is a massive assembly for the half day that theyre there so for me its something which is beyond the theoretical conversations which we normally have here. 

IDK what the answer is but we need to keep the conversation alive. 

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

This leads to an all too familiar discussion on right to privacy vs. security. :wacko: I honestly wish I had the answer

You preempted my comment LOL.

I see people arguing that the government should be overreaching and tyrannical so they can keep their guns in case the government becomes overbearing and tyrannical and I'm struck by how complex the issue really is. 

• Like 5

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Agreed its a huge mess and cant be fixed overnight. I am however grateful for these kinds of demonstrations keeping the conversation alive. 

Due to 4 different threats to my kids schools over this school year alone I am currently debating whether sending my kid to school on Friday is worth it because all they'll be doing is a massive assembly for the half day that theyre there so for me its something which is beyond the theoretical conversations which we normally have here. 

Good Lord man..

IDK what the answer is but we need to keep the conversation alive. 

It's all we CAN do until a serious Federal investigation gives us serious Federal answers. But with all the lobbies and corruption and ignorance in Washington, it feels like us common folk are being hung out to dry here. The NRA wants this, the teachers union wants that, the prison lobby wants this, etc. etc. 

In the mean time, we have parents like you debating on whether or not it's even worth sending their kids to School. It's just horrible, dude.

• Like 6

I just love it when people without any life experience think there is a simple answer to complicated problems.  Get ready for some unfocused rage.

• Like 7

(Myles:)
I applaud the local school where I live.  They are having a 17 second moment of silence for the people killed in Florida.   They are also having a meeting in the gym on April 20th (Columbine anniversary) to discuss school safety and let student share their opinions.   

Thus any student walking out today will be treated as any other truancy. 

I personally think the schools that are punishing truancy, is not helping. (Remember, this is my personal opinion) In one sense, I can see the conundrum on dealing with their students and discipline, but this act is showing how people mean business. 
I'm not knocking your schools showing respect for the victims. I think, as well, that's great. And I'm glad they're doing that. But the walk out, is showing how a message is trying to get through, the way I see it. From the various new's outlets I have been reading and watching,even teachers are walking and parents want their children to do this.

I personally think that the schools should not punish those who participate in the walkout to show more to this message. 

8 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

I think it's all of them. Inaction. Guns. Mental issue. And I do agree, there seemed to be signs there, and yeah, I think they were ignored. I think all of this should be addressed. And I believe, why this walkout is being done, to bring attention and to show enough is enough

(Sought Alabam):
Here is what Doctors have to face when confronted with this sickness: http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2009/02/hlaw1-0902.html

While preventing violence is inherent in physicians' duty to patients and society, so too is the duty to safeguard patient confidence. Physicians delicately walk the line between ethics and law, particularly in the face of statutory obligations to breach the sacred duty of confidentiality—all to prevent violence.

I agree with you, I think dealing with mental and emotional health and what the doctors and therapists have to deal with. And maybe, that should be addressed, looked at deeply, and see what more they can do. And I do understand, that it's not all black and white. And how one treats each patient, or how to get someone help, when they don't want it. (And that I feel there is still a big negative stigma in seeking help) each patient is different. 
I'll never forget a friend of a relative of mine, who was seeing someone, and really had a lot of issues, and it got to the point where this person's professional had to tell them they couldn't help them. ( I do believe this professional did recommend other professionals ) but it's not all promised help all of the time, and immagine being the person who is seen as being helpless to a professional. 
This person hung themselves. :(   
I know it's one thing to see how this all might seem hopeless in seeing it to a more positive end, and to see what needs addressing and what doesn't ( in which all needs addressing ) but at least address it and try. 

(Piney: )  
THESE LIBERAL *snip* CAN BAN ANYTHING THEY WANT. PEOPLE WILL FIGURE OUT NEW WAYS TO KILL OTHERS! MY SON WAS KILLED WITH A *snip* CLOTHESLINE!!!!

:o:(  I'm so sorry Piney.  
Yes, I agree, those who want to do what they want to do, will find ways. I think how those were able to hijack the planes on 9/11 is an example. :(
But, I think it's making sure what kill the easiest and quickest, should be hard to get. 

I think, this is more than just wanting to ban various guns, but to address mental health, and maybe other issues that need addressing.

(Dark Grey:)
This leads to an all too familiar discussion on right to privacy vs. security. :wacko: I honestly wish I had the answer 

I agree. I wish we all had the answer. And that's the thing that seems to be hesitant to address. I think that is a good point on whether we're dealing with what's important to someone's privacy or security. I do think, we should at least look at this and see how we all can come to a conclusion at what's best. I think, not touching that issue, is part of the problem. 

Yes, I agree with you guys, it's inaction, the way I see it. I pretty much think, that is the reason for the walkout, not just on gun violence. 

quoted text
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I just love it when people without any life experience think there is a simple answer to complicated problems.  Get ready for some unfocused rage.

And I'm sure that they love it when people automatically dismiss their right to an informed opinion or right to protest issues that affect them just because they aren't old. 

I'm sure they don't find it condescending at all.

• Like 6

I applaud these students, but what you really need is for the teachers to join them.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:
7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And I'm sure that they love it when people automatically dismiss their right to an informed opinion or right to protest issues that affect them just because they aren't old. 

And what if it's not from unfocused rage, but from strong understandable fear? 

Plus, now, a lot of them have had to go through grief in losing their friends and classmates. Something, I feel, they shouldn't be going through. I do believe, a lot of them, understandably, have that sad life experience. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I applaud these students, but what you really need is for the teachers to join them.

In my state, I was watching one new's outlet, where they were interviewing teachers who did join their students in this walkout. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

And what if it's not from unfocused rage, but from strong understandable fear? 

Plus, now, a lot of them have had to go through grief in losing their friends and classmates. Something, I feel, they shouldn't be going through. I do believe, a lot of them, understandably, have that sad life experience. 

The local civil rights lawyer, who is against private gun ownership and had a law passed so his kid can take his friggin dog to school for "anxiety attacks" wants armed officers in schools. I don't believe in armed officers. Just keeping the school locked and training teachers to pay attention.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah, they are young and trying to voice their opinion the only way they know how, based on the only experience they have. Their experience may be more than any of us have had, despite how young they are.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I've seen a few of these events posted on Facebook. I see the frustration and the call to action to "force Congress to act" -

that would be obstruction of justice, or interfering with public officer, if it was about any other issue

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

We've went through it in the ghetto for years. Now it's a white collar thing and they are going to act.....

• Like 2