Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive student walk-out

pallidin

1 minute ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

My kids have friends, in where I have had some wonderful intelligent conversations. There are all kinds in all groups. 

That's true.  As I stated earlier my other friend's two high school aged children that attend a private school are the polar opposites of the children who I mentioned.  I'm quite sure that the B-ball playing eating machines who are in public school took the opportunity to skip school and get high at a protest while the private school kids are no doubt in school as I type.

• Like 1

Just now, pallidin said:

For them, it seems not to be individual death, rather the totality of carnage.

just like in video games, and movies

Edited by aztek

1 minute ago, OverSword said:
9 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

My kids have friends, in where I have had some wonderful intelligent conversations. There are all kinds in all groups. 

That's true.  As I stated earlier my other friend's two high school aged children that attend a private school are the polar opposites of the children who I mentioned.  I'm quite sure that the B-ball playing eating machines who are in public school took the opportunity to skip school and get high at a protest while the private school kids are no doubt in school as I type.

That's why I believe, we just can't assume one thing about a group of people, be it a particular age group. 

The commonality is "mental/emotional/idealogic disturbance" on a very high level.

After all, "normal" people just don't go around and shoot innocents.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Just now, Stubbly_Dooright said:

That's why I believe, we just can't assume one thing about a group of people, be it a particular age group.

Yeah, I don't.  But I will say that I believe the kids walking out on school today have a shallow and one sided knowledge about the complexity of gun rights and gun control.  Most of them probably have a difficult time doing a thorough job of keeping their room clean let alone understanding in depth complex issues, and little or no political attention should be paid them.  But those that want stricter gun laws will gladly use them as a tool.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But I will say that I believe the kids walking out on school today have a shallow and one sided knowledge about the complexity of gun rights and gun control.

I think the danger is if we don't engage them now within a few years it wont be a complex issue. These kids when they reach voting age will make it a very simple one. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Yeah, I don't.  But I will say that I believe the kids walking out on school today have a shallow and one sided knowledge about the complexity of gun rights and gun control.  Most of them probably have a difficult time doing a thorough job of keeping their room clean let alone understanding in depth complex issues, and little or no political attention should be paid them.  But those that want stricter gun laws will gladly use them as a tool.

Well, if you believe that, you believe that. I believe different. And maybe they want answers to their questions, and to be educated more on the knowledge of guns and such and see how this fits their world. 

The thing is, to me, a good bit of them, have survived their school shootings, and the rest are now afraid. If anything, I think it's understandable to do more than just being afraid. Even if it's mean talking points on gun laws, gun control, and other such topics that needs addressing. From what I gather, this walkout is a way of saying 'enough is enough' and let's deal with this head on. 

And whether they can't keep their room clean or that some of them have a lack of understanding in depth complex issues, they are unfortunately having to deal with one fact of life, and that is death, and being afraid in just going to school. If most of them had a lack of understanding of in depth issues, they are getting a quick lesson on this in dept issue, I think they shouldn't be learning about so hands on. 

sometimes we can paint a good picture, or course it does not apply to everyone, there are exceptions

The U.S. ranks 14th in education

The U.S. ranks 2nd in ignorance

The U.S. ranks 24th in literacy

The U.S. ranks 17th in educational performance

The U.S. ranks 11th in fourth grade math 

The U.S. ranks 23rd in PISA science score

The U.S. ranks 72nd in girls going to grade school

The U.S. ranks 85th in boys going to grade school

https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/category/education/page/5/

this does not really inspire confidence.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, aztek said:

Um, thanks for the links.............. the thing is, the quote to Oversword, from me, was talking about their goals and their characters. I don't doubt, how the education in this country is in need for a lot of work. Granted, I talked about an intelligent conversation with one friend of my kid's, but overall, in how they portrayed this conversation. 

And if another thing that could be taken away from today, from the walkout, is that our education needs to be addressed and 'improved'. 

And I think you're one of them that brought this up in this thread, but it's also parents, when they care. And the school system, that my children and their friends go to, could be argued by some as to lacking, ( I feel different about that ) but to them for if it is, I still had a adult conversation with one that belays that. 

But, yes, our education system, and what our children are being taught, I feel strongly needs a lot of work. But, is this something to take into consideration, when these students feel the need to walkout to protest the death of their friends and being afraid themselves? 

But, I'm not disparaging your links, and the thought of the level of our schools and the children taught in them, in fact, I think this is just another thing that should be brought up in the message. 

Um, thanks for the links.............. the thing is, the quote to Oversword, from me, was talking about their goals and their characters. I don't doubt, how the education in this country is in need for a lot of work. Granted, I talked about an intelligent conversation with one friend of my kid's, but overall, in how they portrayed this conversation. 

And if another thing that could be taken away from today, from the walkout, is that our education needs to be addressed and 'improved'. 

And I think you're one of them that brought this up in this thread, but it's also parents, when they care. And the school system, that my children and their friends go to, could be argued by some as to lacking, ( I feel different about that ) but to them for if it is, I still had a adult conversation with one that belays that. 

But, yes, our education system, and what our children are being taught, I feel strongly needs a lot of work. But, is this something to take into consideration, when these students feel the need to walkout to protest the death of their friends and being afraid themselves? 

But, I'm not disparaging your links, and the thought of the level of our schools and the children taught in them, in fact, I think this is just another thing that should be brought up in the message. 

no arguments here  dept of education needs top\bottom overhaul asap

Edited by aztek

Just found this online from my Alma Mater. These kids are also planning a march in conjunction with the students from Lafayette College (also in Easton) where they will gather at the college and march down to Center Square on March 24 in support of the rally that will be happening in Washington DC. Most local schools allowed the walk out. This was sent to parents last week notifying them of what would happen.

http://www.eastonsd.org/ourpages/auto/2018/3/7/44736860/EAHS March 14 _E_ .pdf

• Like 1

1 minute ago, susieice said:

Just found this online from my Alma Mater. These kids are also planning a march in conjunction with the students from Lafayette College (also in Easton) where they will gather at the college and march down to Center Square on March 24 in support of the rally that will be happening in Washington DC. Most local schools allowed the walk out. This was sent to parents last week notifying them of what would happen.

http://www.eastonsd.org/ourpages/auto/2018/3/7/44736860/EAHS March 14 _E_ .pdf

Pretty cool of them to set the environment for the kids like that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Pretty cool of them to set the environment for the kids like that. 

March 24 reminds me of my Vietnam days. I went to Lafayette a couple times. :P They will have speakers at the rally.

I'm glad they supported the students and listened to what they had to say. They notified parents as to what was going to happen and that's cool too. Parkland HS students filled their gymnasium. It is important for the schools to show they hear what the students are saying and support their desire to be safe in classrooms. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

When I was as kid, before all this "whaaa, whaaa" about spanking, I was spanked for doing weird s***.

Did me well, is all I can say.

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well, if you believe that, you believe that. I believe different. And maybe they want answers to their questions, and to be educated more on the knowledge of guns and such and see how this fits their world. 

The thing is, to me, a good bit of them, have survived their school shootings, and the rest are now afraid. If anything, I think it's understandable to do more than just being afraid. Even if it's mean talking points on gun laws, gun control, and other such topics that needs addressing. From what I gather, this walkout is a way of saying 'enough is enough' and let's deal with this head on. 

And whether they can't keep their room clean or that some of them have a lack of understanding in depth complex issues, they are unfortunately having to deal with one fact of life, and that is death, and being afraid in just going to school. If most of them had a lack of understanding of in depth issues, they are getting a quick lesson on this in dept issue, I think they shouldn't be learning about so hands on. 

Well since they don't teach civics in public school's anymore I certainly don't trust our schools to give them a fair education about our history, guns, or the second amendment.  If I owned a gun you could pry it from my cold dead fingers ^_^.

And as far as being afraid to go to school, lets look at the percentage of schools that have had a shooting and grow a backbone cowards.  You might as well be afraid of flying a Boeing jet to Disneyland.  Something I'm sure most wouldn't give a second thought to.

Edited by OverSword

And mental health issues are a whole 'nother beast, for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

... I certainly don't trust our schools to give them a fair education about our history, guns, or the second amendment...

I've known educators all my life. My mother was one.

I take offense to your blatant accusation.

• Like 1

Just now, pallidin said:

And mental health issues are a whole 'nother beast, for sure.

Yeah maybe they should walk out in protest of how many of them are unnecessarily medicated with God knows what.  They all run a far greater risk of become enslaved to chemicals than shot.

Yeah maybe they should walk out in protest of how many of them are unnecessarily medicated with God knows what.  They all run a far greater risk of become enslaved to chemicals than shot.

Calm down.

Just now, pallidin said:

I've known educators all my life. My mother was one.

I take offense to your blatant accusation.

Go right ahead, I'm well aware of the shallow education I received on this subject and suspect it's not even that nowadays.

Just now, pallidin said:

Calm down.

No offense meant.  Some of us need it.  As it turns our a cup of coffee for most adolescents is a fine treatment  for ADHD but most diagnosed as such are prescribed meth amphetamines.

Sometimes, "shallow education" is an internal perception as opposed to external actuality.

No offense meant.  Some of us need it.  As it turns our a cup of coffee for most adolescents is a fine treatment  for ADHD but most diagnosed as such are prescribed meth amphetamines.

Understood, and point taken.

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And, if true, that right there is what needs to be done as step one in fixing the school shooting epidemic in America. Someone needs to look long and hard at how non-neurotypicality is treated medically. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

So now you force me to bring up swimming pools again.   They are the cause of more children deaths than guns each year.  Are you for the banning of them too?   How many threads have you started in support of pool bans?    Do you care more about pools than guns?

Swimming pools are not designed to kill.

• Like 1