Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive student walk-out

pallidin

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

Swimming pools are not designed to kill.

no, neither are cars, but both still kill due to negligence\misuse, and accidents, should we make harder for people to buy pools and cars,? it seems logical based on gun laws debate,  cars kill a lot more than guns, so why should we ignore that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Hmmm... true dat.

5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That is not relevant at all.     Both kill children   Pools kill more.  If you are pro pool then you don't care about children.   Sounds dumb right?   Like when people say that if you are pro gun then you don't care about children.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aztek said:

no, neither are cars, but both still kill due to negligence\misuse, and accidents, should we make harder for people to buy pools and cars,? it seems logical based on gun laws debate,  cars kill a lot more than guns, so why should we ignore that?

It's not the same thing, aztek.

Does any parent want their child's first car to be a 2400 hp dragster?

No.

Perhaps, to keep-up with the 2nd Amendment, we as citizens should be allowed possession of hand-grenades, bazookas, and let us not forget nukes.

Get a grip.

Just now, pallidin said:

No.

it causing unintended deaths many of them, a lot more than gun. even thou it was not designed to kill it does,  i'm sure there is no such gun designed solely to shot up schools, so technically they are misused as well.

i keep my 10 years old Tahoe as a first car for my kid, if it makes it another 10 years. 

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

No.

I shot my first rifle at the age of 10 way before I ever drove a car.  Guess what?  Still haven't shot anyone, like the other 99.99999999% of people that have shot and or own guns.

• Like 4

Just now, pallidin said:

Perhaps, to keep-up with the 2nd Amendment, we as citizens should be allowed possession of hand-grenades, bazookas, and let us not forget nukes.

Get a grip.

none of it is a firearm.  all of the things you mention are either destructive devices covered by law, or artillery which is what bazooka classified. 

should we exclude texts, email, or any form of communication not available in 1776 from 1st amendment?

Edited by aztek

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I shot my first rifle at the age of 10 way before I ever drove a car.  Guess what?  Still haven't shot anyone, like the other 99.99999999% of people that have shot and or own guns.

You are responsible handling a lethal weapon.

Some, clearly, are not.

1 minute ago, aztek said:

none of it is a firearm.  all of the things you mention are either destructive devises covered by law, or artillery which is what bazooka classified. 

should we exclude texts, email, or any form of communication not available in 1776 from 1st amendment?

Thus the quandary of the definition of assault weapony.

The kids are afraid, concerned, worried, and possibly even fearful for the well being of their sanctum of education.

Just hear them out ...

~

• Like 4

Just now, pallidin said:

Thus the quandary of the definition of assault weapony.

still not firearms. nor we talking about making grenades,bazookas legal, so it's not really a good argument

Just now, aztek said:

so why punish those who are?

Not at all, my friend.

Restrict purchase and access.

Just now, pallidin said:

Not at all, my friend.

Restrict purchase and access.

for all? that would be punishing everyone, what do you mean restrict access? the only way to do it is to confiscate

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, aztek said:

Are you saying it's not hard to buy a car?  You have to prove that you are capable of operating that car by obtaining a license.  Then, you must register that car on a yearly basis, and even transfer ownership of that car if you give it away or sell it.  You must also maintain insurance on that car, for the duration you have it, just in case you do something with that car that affects another person, so they can ensure they are monetarily compensated.  

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

for all? that would be punishing everyone

Yes, for ALL, for the safety of society.

Background checks, mental health screening, complete restriction on assault weapons, ban of bump stocks, etc...

This is a national crisis, not something to whine about legal, proper ownership of a gun... gun rights will be protected... we must also protect our innocents.

20 minutes ago, pallidin said:

No.

Nope.  Both of my daughter get a manual transmission car as their first.   My 20 year old doesn't mind it at all.   My 15 year old can drive it pretty good.  

Just now, pallidin said:

This is a national crisis.

It is?  Not feeling it.  Not afraid.  Not worried.  I'm much more likely to be killed by a car so what should my fear priority be?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Are you saying it's not hard to buy a car?  You have to prove that you are capable of operating that car by obtaining a license.  Then, you must register that car on a yearly basis, and even transfer ownership of that car if you give it away or sell it.  You must also maintain insurance on that car, for the duration you have it, just in case you do something with that car that affects another person, so they can ensure they are monetarily compensated.  

I agree there are regulations on vehicles to limit accidents.    Not for pools though.   Sure, in most states, you are supposed to have a fence around it, but that is not preventing the massive amounts of children dying in pools annually.   Pool owners don't care about children.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Nope.  Both of my daughter get a manual transmission car as their first.   My 20 year old doesn't mind it at all.   My 15 year old can drive it pretty good.  

I love manual transmissions!

They rock.

• Like 2

Speaking of the gun debate, no-one is suggesting that you can't proudly own a powerful 357. 

What you should be restricted, however, is ownership of rapid fire assault guns.

Not that you can't have one, rather, that the steps to ownership must be much steeper.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree there are regulations on vehicles to limit accidents.    Not for pools though.   Sure, in most states, you are supposed to have a fence around it, but that is not preventing the massive amounts of children dying in pools annually.   Pool owners don't care about children.

You also have to have insurance on a pool.  Call your homeowners insurance and tell them you are going to install a pool...see what happens.

45 minutes ago, OverSword said:
2 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well, if you believe that, you believe that. I believe different. And maybe they want answers to their questions, and to be educated more on the knowledge of guns and such and see how this fits their world. 

The thing is, to me, a good bit of them, have survived their school shootings, and the rest are now afraid. If anything, I think it's understandable to do more than just being afraid. Even if it's mean talking points on gun laws, gun control, and other such topics that needs addressing. From what I gather, this walkout is a way of saying 'enough is enough' and let's deal with this head on. 

And whether they can't keep their room clean or that some of them have a lack of understanding in depth complex issues, they are unfortunately having to deal with one fact of life, and that is death, and being afraid in just going to school. If most of them had a lack of understanding of in depth issues, they are getting a quick lesson on this in dept issue, I think they shouldn't be learning about so hands on. 

Well since they don't teach civics in public school's anymore I certainly don't trust our schools to give them a fair education about our history, guns, or the second amendment.  If I owned a gun you could pry it from my cold dead fingers ^_^.

I may have reservations myself on schools and what they teach, but it's not a black and white situation. 

I'm trying to understand your point about 'if you owned a gun and then prying it from your cold dead fingers'. 

And as far as being afraid to go to school, lets look at the percentage of schools that have had a shooting and grow a backbone cowards.  You might as well be afraid of flying a Boeing jet to Disneyland.  Something I'm sure most wouldn't give a second thought to.

I could be getting this wrong, but are you telling students, minors at schools, 'to grow a backbone cowards?' Please correct me, if I misunderstood this. I mean, should we be calling minors cowards and telling them to have a backbone? 

I don't think it's a point of having a backbone, but in protecting our children. Looking at one such school, Sandy Hook, in my home state, where 5 and 6 year olds were killed. Should we be telling all 5 and 6 year olds to have a backbone? 

Like I said, if I misunderstood that this is what you're saying, and you meant something else. 

As for your example of flying a jet to Disneyland. I'm sure parents do think of these things, and that it's a chance of something going wrong. But then again, I often have been told, that dying in plane crashes is least likely than in car crashes, and yes, I do feel that is something parents think of too. I did, when my kids were young and when I drove them places. 

But, you have to have your children educated in a school system, according to law, from what I assume, and hope they come back home. 

I think the difference here is that, flying a boeing jet to Disneyland is by choice, and going to school is not necessarily so. Unless, this is going to be a discussing point for home schooling, in which that could be a pandora's box right there. 

What the "ultra-right" gun advocates don't seem to get, or care, is societal concerns.

They only care about themself.

Extreme narcissism.