Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
pallidin

Massive student walk-out

320 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Farmer77
1 minute ago, Piney said:

We've went through it in the ghetto for years. Now it's a white collar thing and they are going to act.....

I did as a kid too but this is entirely different. 

With gang activity you have the occasional drive by which could hit innocents , with these shootings innocents are the target.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
5 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

And what if it's not from unfocused rage, but from strong understandable fear? 

Plus, now, a lot of them have had to go through grief in losing their friends and classmates. Something, I feel, they shouldn't be going through. I do believe, a lot of them, understandably, have that sad life experience. 

What I'm talking about is that after this walk out, and nothing is changed, then there will be some simplistic teenagers that will start destroying property or fighting with the police. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stubbly_Dooright
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

The local civil rights lawyer, who is against private gun ownership and had a law passed so his kid can take his friggin dog to school for "anxiety attacks" wants armed officers in schools. I don't believe in armed officers. Just keeping the school locked and training teachers to pay attention.

I agree with that. It does make me :no: when I think about armed schools. It kind of reminds me of times when there were various schools who were like that, but for other reasons. 

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

We've went through it in the ghetto for years. Now it's a white collar thing and they are going to act.....

I answered from the first post to me, before I got to this one. *looks sheepish* 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
9 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

And what if it's not from unfocused rage, but from strong understandable fear? 

Plus, now, a lot of them have had to go through grief in losing their friends and classmates. Something, I feel, they shouldn't be going through. I do believe, a lot of them, understandably, have that sad life experience. 

Today marks the 22nd anniversary of the Dunblane Massacre that happened not 10 miles from my current house. Our government quickly introduced the Firearms Amendment Act as a response - the result of which is undeniable - so it pains and disgusts me that many Americans care more about their guns than the safety of their children.

It's a form of collective madness if you ask me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
15 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

And I'm sure that they love it when people automatically dismiss their right to an informed opinion or right to protest issues that affect them just because they aren't old. 

I'm sure they don't find it condescending at all.

When the morons who attend our high schools in this decade can show me they have the intellect to posses an informed opinion I'll change my tune.  What they are is not informed, they are reactionary.  The stupidest, highest kid in my school in the 80's could have answered any of these question without problem.  You give them too much credit.

 

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

why are students from bentwood long island are not walking out?, gun, and gang violence is there everyday, and kids are being killed by gangs on regular basis, and good portion of those gangsters are daca kids,

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stubbly_Dooright
3 minutes ago, OverSword said:
12 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

And what if it's not from unfocused rage, but from strong understandable fear? 

Plus, now, a lot of them have had to go through grief in losing their friends and classmates. Something, I feel, they shouldn't be going through. I do believe, a lot of them, understandably, have that sad life experience. 

What I'm talking about is that after this walk out, and nothing is changed, then there will be some simplistic teenagers that will start destroying property or fighting with the police. 

But you're making assumptions, and even if it does happen, ( I don't see it on a grand scale though) that would be something that happened after these posts. And who knows, I could be making assumptions here too, but from what I can observe with those participating, it seems they are clear headed and showing a way that seems the least bit harmful to get a message across. And this is being done with even some teachers participating and some of their parents approving. 

You might think so, but I don't. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
10 minutes ago, aztek said:

that would be obstruction of justice, or interfering with public officer, if it was about any other issue

Would you care to explain how this would equate to either of those crimes? Cite the relevant laws along with the relevant precedent, if you please.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

When the morons who attend our high schools in this decade can show me they have the intellect to posses an informed opinion I'll change my tune.  What they are is not informed, they are reactionary.  The stupidest, highest kid in my school in the 80's could have answered any of these question without problem.  You give them too much credit.

 

We had a high school grad work for us 2 years ago. I swear he had no ability to think, zero critical thinking skill, a complete moron.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
Just now, XenoFish said:

We had a high school grad work for us 2 years ago. I swear he had no ability to think, zero critical thinking skill, a complete moron.

Yep.  Likely thanks to the internet, today's youth are short attention-span theater.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

When the morons who attend our high schools in this decade can show me they have the intellect to posses an informed opinion I'll change my tune.  What they are is not informed, they are reactionary.  The stupidest, highest kid in my school in the 80's could have answered any of these question without problem.  You give them too much credit.

 

You seem to be under the impression that stupidity does not transcend the age categories. 

I'd even posit that kids these days, due to the wealth of information at their disposal thanks to the Internet, are far more informed than previous generations.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Yep.  Likely thanks to the internet, today's youth are short attention-span theater.

Got to agree with that. Plus there is no repetition in their skill set. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

I'd even posit that kids these days, due to the wealth of information at their disposal thanks to the Internet, are far more informed than previous generations.

That's been my experience. While you'll always be able to find outliers todays kids are more informed and more aware than any generation in history. 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We had a high school grad work for us 2 years ago. I swear he had no ability to think, zero critical thinking skill, a complete moron.

I'm sure that your study of one almost certainly represents an entire population. No margin for error at all in that comprehensive investigation.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stubbly_Dooright
5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:
18 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

And what if it's not from unfocused rage, but from strong understandable fear? 

Plus, now, a lot of them have had to go through grief in losing their friends and classmates. Something, I feel, they shouldn't be going through. I do believe, a lot of them, understandably, have that sad life experience. 

Today marks the 22nd anniversary of the Dunblane Massacre that happened not 10 miles from my current house. Our government quickly introduced the Firearms Amendment Act as a response - the result of which is undeniable - so it pains and disgusts me that many Americans care more about their guns than the safety of their children.

It's a form of collective madness if you ask me.

Yeah, I do not understand that. I really do not. :no:  

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

When the morons who attend our high schools in this decade can show me they have the intellect to posses an informed opinion I'll change my tune.  What they are is not informed, they are reactionary.  The stupidest, highest kid in my school in the 80's could have answered any of these question without problem.  You give them too much credit.

 

Granted, this video had me stopping it midway, :no:  .................. But can we say this of all the high school students in the U.S.?

In my career of retail and helping high school students, there have been the share of those who remind me of the students in the video, and then there are those I have met, who seem more intelligent than the adults. (and adult and the parents of some of the kids, who seem to be just as ................ :huh: ) Anyhow, I also think it depends on the school and how good the education is. (which is something else I think needs addressing.) 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm sure that your study of one almost certainly represents an entire population. No margin for error at all in that comprehensive investigation.

Did I mention more than one person? They let one idiot graduate, I'm sure they let others. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You seem to be under the impression that stupidity does not transcend the age categories. 

I'd even posit that kids these days, due to the wealth of information at their disposal thanks to the Internet, are far more informed than previous generations.

Being able to google something and taking whatever pops up as fact is not more informed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stubbly_Dooright
6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yep.  Likely thanks to the internet, today's youth are short attention-span theater.

Granted, I'm not going to disagree on the a lot of the negative aspects of the internet. (Though, I do also believe there are good aspects too.)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Just now, Stubbly_Dooright said:

.............. But can we say this of all the high school students in the U.S.?

 

 

no, not everyone,  but ratio is alarming

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword

I don't think that video was a representation of every kid these days, but it is of far too many.  The ones who are not like this have parents that ensure their kids are not like that.  Unfortunately there are fewer and fewer parents like that.  Public schools today would be better named as day-care for the inattentive two income family.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Did I mention more than one person? They let one idiot graduate, I'm sure they let others. 

No, you didn't. Which was my point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stubbly_Dooright
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:
5 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm sure that your study of one almost certainly represents an entire population. No margin for error at all in that comprehensive investigation.

Did I mention more than one person? They let one idiot graduate, I'm sure they let others. 

I do believe a lot of students slip through the cracks. Which, I think, among the issues of gun violence and mental health issues, that our education is also addressed. 

1 minute ago, OverSword said:
8 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You seem to be under the impression that stupidity does not transcend the age categories. 

I'd even posit that kids these days, due to the wealth of information at their disposal thanks to the Internet, are far more informed than previous generations.

Being able to google something and taking whatever pops up as fact is not more informed.

Granted, I would think that too. And if students are actually learning from a quick net search, and don't remember the answer before they do the search, makes me wonder of education is teaching them these facts in the first place. And, are all education institutions teaching everything. There are things, like the constitution, and other such facts, that I do not remember being taught. I have a pocket sized version of 'The Constition' with me, because of not having been taught it in school. (Yeah, I should have memorized it before) but my point is, that some of these answers are probably not being answered correctly, because they probably are not being taught. I'm not saying all schools, but I wonder at what the curriculum is these days. 

As I was saying before, I don't think we can say this of all students and all schools. But, I do believe our education needs a major overhaul. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stubbly_Dooright
6 minutes ago, aztek said:

no, not everyone,  but ratio is alarming

I was going to ask for a link, but I do feel in first impressions, that could be the truth. And again, our education needs addressing. And this could another outlook on those who find the answer through their smart phone search, if these students are in schools that don't educate enough, but have the intelligence to search for it, instead making a quick unintelligent reply. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Being able to google something and taking whatever pops up as fact is not more informed.

It is if you know how to discern truth from fiction, and how to check sources. Which is something they learn at that particular age. 

I'd say they have a better understanding of those things than most adults, what, with being taught those skills concurrently.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stubbly_Dooright
4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't think that video was a representation of every kid these days, but it is of far too many.  The ones who are not like this have parents that ensure their kids are not like that.  Unfortunately there are fewer and fewer parents like that.  Public schools today would be better named as day-care for the inattentive two income family.

To me, that does seem the consensus. And yes, parents should be, and are a big part of their children's education. And yes, I have seen a lot of them, that don't seem to care. (I feel, they shouldn't have become parents in the first place.) And I believe there are schools, who feel that parental inclusion is wrong. I know, the one's I went to growing, was like that. :(  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.