Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
OverSword

Social justice creeps into math and science

83 posts in this topic

OverSword

If a train leaves New York going west at 60 mph, and a train leaves Chicago going east at 70 mph, how many microaggressions will the conductors commit before the trains collide?

Think this question can’t be answered by physics? Think again! According to Pomona College, racial bias and microaggressions are a necessary subject for physics coursework.

“Foundations of Modern Physics” is a mandatory class for all physics and astronomy students at Pomona College. And one of their first assignments last fall was a project called “Decolonizing Physics.”

Link

aztek

it's  Komifornia, no surprises here,

• Like 8

Piney

:blink: WTF!!!!!

• Like 7

Vlad the Mighty

Perhaps they might be able to answer the question that's been baffling science for hundreds of years, just how many genders are there? Perhaps they could get the people at CERN to let the Large Hardon Collider have a crack at it.

• Like 7

Farmer77

Did noone else ever take a course where the teacher required you to think about the course subject from a different angle? 

Nothing about the subject itself is being altered for social justice 

• Like 3

travelnjones
20 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Perhaps they might be able to answer the question that's been baffling science for hundreds of years, just how many genders are there? Perhaps they could get the people at CERN to let the Large Hardon Collider have a crack at it.

Homes you better watch out.  Calling the large Hadron Collider a Hardon collider may be a micro aggression 

• Like 8

Farmer77

3 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I'm inclined to agree with one of the students quoted in the article on this one:

"Students at Pomona seemed to disagree with the course’s objectives. One mathematics student told the Independent, under the condition of anonymity, that “[if] you are studying math influenced by any ideology… it’s not math. The beauty of math is that it is objective – it holds true regardless of culture, politics and so on. If you’re teaching social justice in a math class, you’re not teaching math.”"

That kid was talking about a different class but if you will note the student seemed to be in need of a reading comprehension class. The course description was:

“The main goal of this course [Math 058] is to enhance your analytical and statistical skills while exploring topics in social justice.”

Anyways I appreciate instructors who help you think beyond the regurgitation of facts. 

• Like 1

Vlad the Mighty
6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

That kid was talking about a different class but if you will note the student seemed to be in need of a reading comprehension class. The course description was:

Anyways I appreciate instructors who help you think beyond the regurgitation of facts. 

Yes, but was this unit or module optional? By all means offer it as an option, it might indeed make for an imaginative new way of looking at the subject, but if Topics in Social Justice were an obligatory part of the course that does smack rather of an element of propaganda. :unsure: 

• Like 8

Farmer77
4 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Yes, but was this unit or module optional? By all means offer it as an option, it might indeed make for an imaginative new way of looking at the subject, but if Topics in Social Justice were an obligatory part of the course that does smack rather of an element of propaganda. :unsure: 

Oh I suppose I hadn't thought it may not be optional. 

There's definitely a fine line I think between educating and indoctrinating.

For instance I had to write a paper on the death penalty for one of the last classes I took. I went into it pro death penalty but the facts I learned during the process of writing the paper made me change my mind.  Is that the result of indoctrination or just an evolution of my thought process based on available data? 

• Like 2

Vlad the Mighty
1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Oh I suppose I hadn't thought it may not be optional. 

There's definitely a fine line I think between educating and indoctrinating.

For instance I had to write a paper on the death penalty for one of the last classes I took. I went into it pro death penalty but the facts I learned during the process of writing the paper made me change my mind.  Is that the result of indoctrination or just an evolution of my thought process based on available data? 

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an open-minded approach looking at the matter objectively and perhaps changing your mind based on the evidence you'd studied, that's an entirely scientific approach, but the thing with these Affirmative Action policies and all that seems to be that they have the intention of forcing you into believing that one particular line of argument is the right one, and if you don't accept it and stick to your own opinion it might have bad consequences for you :angry: . 

• Like 8

preacherman76
45 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Even when the result is the demand for white genocide? Cause that's the kind of people these kind of classes are producing. Any ideology that tells mass groups of people they are victims, and its completely the fault of another mass group of people, that always ends in slaughter. Around and around the Marxist merry go round we go.

• Like 5

Rlyeh

• Like 3

and then
1 hour ago, travelnjones said:

Homes you better watch out.  Calling the large Hadron Collider a Hardon collider may be a micro aggression 

:w00t:   I missed that typo... thanks for the chuckle :) 

• Like 2

and then
41 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an open-minded approach looking at the matter objectively and perhaps changing your mind based on the evidence you'd studied, that's an entirely scientific approach, but the thing with these Affirmative Action policies and all that seems to be that they have the intention of forcing you into believing that one particular line of argument is the right one, and if you don't accept it and stick to your own opinion it might have bad consequences for you :angry: . 

I don't think there's any doubt that profs that would teach such a course would cheerfully nuke a student's GPA if they showed the slightest hesitation to cheer his/her conclusions.

• Like 4

papageorge1
2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Yep, everyone is against thought indoctrination except when it favors thinking they like.

• Like 1

Farmer77
26 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Even when the result is the demand for white genocide? Cause that's the kind of people these kind of classes are producing. Any ideology that tells mass groups of people they are victims, and its completely the fault of another mass group of people, that always ends in slaughter. Around and around the Marxist merry go round we go.

Should conservative thoughts not be taught because they can lead to white supremacy? 

• Like 2

and then
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Yep, everyone is against thought indoctrination except when it favors thinking they like.

Sure, bias is present everywhere but when social values are being crafted within the context of pure science courses, that doesn't bother you at all?  Isn't there enough of such classes elsewhere in the curriculum?  I can assure you that if a Christian Conservative school, like Hillsdale College, embedded religious themes in their math/science classes, they'd be ridiculed viciously.  And they SHOULD be if they did such a thing.  It demonstrates the fact that Progs feel the need to shape every aspect of the thinking of their followers.

• Like 5

LV-426
1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

I think kids these days are having a much harder time engaging in critical thinking.

Your own example is a good one. You took a topic, presumably without a biased view from your teacher, you went away and presumably looked at arguments for and against, and used your own critical thinking to change your opinion.

Increasingly these days, kids are being herded into a specific line of thought on social issues, and when they head away to do research themselves, they're faced with the quagmire of polarized crap we see on social media and other Internet sites.

It must be hell trying to navigate your way through the modern education system.

• Like 6

papageorge1
13 minutes ago, and then said:

Sure, bias is present everywhere but when social values are being crafted within the context of pure science courses, that doesn't bother you at all?  

You might have misunderstood me.  I don’t like it, particularly in the sciences.

• Like 1

Setton
2 hours ago, WoIverine said:

Further validation for this?

Millennials fall for financial scams more than any other age group

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/millennials-fall-for-financial-scams-more-than-other-age-groups.html

Perhaps just because they're more desperately in need of money than older generations. Because those older generations have it all :whistle:

• Like 4

WoIverine
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Setton said:

Perhaps just because they're more desperately in need of money than older generations. Because those older generations have it all :whistle:

Definitely more than a few factors involved.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

aztek
Posted (edited)

so what will sj\math look like in Pomona college?  if you white 2x2=4 but if you black, woman ,gay or trans it can be anywhere from 2 to 8? and if you are both or more (black woman trans) any number or letter is good?

Edited by aztek

OverSword
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Should conservative thoughts not be taught because they can lead to white supremacy? 

Not in math. B)

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2