Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mood

8th_wall

It came to my attention recently how unbelievable varied one's experience can be depending on what one's mood is.  A person's mood can change at the drop of a hat.  Even when it seems impossible to be changable.

We talk of positive and negative attitudes however I think it's better to think of this in terms of the mood one is currently in.  It seems to act is a precursor for the type of things one will or won't do and seems to effect, to a large extent, the types of experiences one will have in a particular duration of time whether it be weeks hours, minutes, months.

I conjecture that there are several "moods" one can have that varies for different periods of time.  Sometimes when I look back I can identify a sort of feeling that might have been sitting over me at a particular time in my life for quite awhile.  Not necessarily positive, not necessarily negative, however notably distinct and unique.

Different environments or social atmospheres effect some of us similarly some of us the same.  It all plays into our particular mood, whether we're conscious of it or not I think.

I don't think that we have a tremendous amount of control over what mood we are in at any given time however we can do things, go places, try things, talk to people, draw, paint, play games, anything to influence our mood.  I don't think we can just will it to he a particular way however.

• Like 4

I agree. However, there is an old Zen story, two monks are talking, one is leaving the monastery...

"Where are you going?" Asks the monk of the monastery.

"I am going where it is changeless."

"How can you go where it is changeless?" He asks.

"My going is no change."

So, I think we may transcend our moods to some extent when we understand and are aware of ourselves.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I agree. However, there is an old Zen story, two monks are talking, one is leaving the monastery...

"Where are you going?" Asks the monk of the monastery.

"I am going where it is changeless."

"How can you go where it is changeless?" He asks.

"My going is no change."

So, I think we may transcend our moods to some extent when we understand and are aware of ourselves.

For sure, a lot of my thinking along these lines are influenced by parables of that nature :).  I think I get hung up on the conclusory part however and forget there are many steps, all significant to one degree or another, along the way to the "right" attainment.  Or maybe best is a better word. 

• Like 2

I'm wondering what a mood is. A state of consciousness -  intellectual state of mind - emotional state? Is there a 'default' state of mood from which other moods deviate? 

Somewhere, I just can't recall precisely, I read something that totally changed my outlook on moods. 

Pertaining to the state of ones being, the preferred state is just "ready". Years later I'm still discovering more depth in such a simple concept. Hard to elaborate, but I encourage you to contemplate!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wes83 said:

Somewhere, I just can't recall precisely, I read something that totally changed my outlook on moods. 

Pertaining to the state of ones being, the preferred state is just "ready". Years later I'm still discovering more depth in such a simple concept. Hard to elaborate, but I encourage you to contemplate!!

I like the "ready". Ready for the present moment. If we're in some psychological mood we may loose the appropriate response to present circumstances.

• Like 1