Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can a religious text be used for evidence?

nephili

24 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I just noticed that, that linked article references The Jesus Mysteries as a source. That book has been ripped apart and thoroughly debunked by scholars. 

It's conclusions, perhaps but the facts of the competition between Mithraism and Christianity is none-the-less true and the interpolation of Mithraic ritual and belief into Christianity are pretty obvious, so pursue you inquiry. It is never to be understated the importance of understanding the rise of Christianity within the context of the history of the times and the world in which it took root and flowered. It didn't happen in a vacuum, isolated from everything else. It borrowed much of it's substance and fleshed out it's belief system and theology from Roman polytheism and other Eastern Mystery Cults.                                              http://www.religionfacts.com/mithraism

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, stereologist said:

The consensus of the posters in t his thread state that you are mistaken as have links you provided and I provided. 

I know you pretend that you received an excellent education and you have expertise in things you state. The simple fact of the matter is that your posts are evidence against those stories. No amount of self congratulations alter the fact that you failed and are wrong.

You seem best at providing links that undermine your position and often show you to be wrong. 

Hi Stereologist

:lol:I have been saying the same thing to him for a year and a half to no avail. This is the reason that I think watching him and a couple of his clones in a debate would be hilarious because they would likely argue different positions the same way and make the same claims and yet doubt the authenticity of the others claimed accolades.:whistle:

jmccr8

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, stereologist said:

I can see your point. There is likely to be a reincarnation of Mr Walker in 3113 arguing that Harry Potter is false fact, but house elves is a true fact. :whistle:

My argument a that time  would be that archaeology has discovered that elements of the novel have been proven to be historically accurate and could be relied upon in the study of ancient London from the  late second millennial period,   while others were clearly written for entertainment and were physically impossible 

10 hours ago, davros of skaro said:

Do you wake up to the Muslim call to prayer over a loudspeaker, and the sounds of bleating goats?

No!

How non-diversified you are... ;)

Is it not possible  There are many places in Australia where one could awake to either of those sounds, although not often simultaneously 

10 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Ah, thank you for informing me on this. Though, I wonder though, (and I look to you, Sheri, :blush: as I consider you extremely intelligent and extremely well informed. :yes: ) is Social Studies, part of the history curriculum? I ask this, because I thought it did, and still does. 

I see what you mean, about using it as a part of looking at differences in point's of views and how it's categorized in society and history. And I'm glad for your information in this part of your post: 

And, I might be going full blown semantic, ( and maybe a little crazy :wacko: on this, ((and sorry 'bout that))... ) but I always have thought if religious texts are considered history books, then they would be in history courses. I'm not full on doubting or razzing on Doug for seeing it as a history book, I'm sure he does. But, in an objective sense, I don't see considering it as such, if it wasn't in history classes. (................... am I getting too obsessive with this? :blink:  :hmm:   )

Unless, of course, they are and have been in various high school history classes, courses, and such, and I will be surprised, but humbled and accepting, if that is the case. (............... Ok, maybe I'm a ............... little obsessive! :o  ) 

*looking pleasantly sheepish* :devil: 

Well, anyways, that's my stance on it. :D 

You know, a couple of times, I have heard something in my neighborhood, something sounds like a Muslim call to prayer, or what I think is Arabic sounds, (actually it's a couple of seconds long), but for the life of me, I don't know where it's coming from. Yeah, there was a middle eastern family lived on this street many years ago, but that's not now or during the recent times I heard these chants. (Ok! I chalking this up to my own subjective assumptions of the paranormal! ((along with the train sounds, when all the rails here have turned to trails. :w00t:  :wacko: ) And yes, that's for another part of the forum. 

.... but, I digress! :sk  

Gotta luv ya!!! :st

If they look like the White Lighters I have seen on that show, why not! :D Seriously, though, I do believe it actually exists.  Based on that it's on shelves in bookstores, that I have worked at. And that I linked a Wikipedia article, (I know, Wikipedia *shrugs* ) that shows it's origins and such. ;) 

Why, oh why I have to put in the effort?!?!? :o  :wacko:  Kidding!!! I don't know. I don't even complain to the hotel staff about it, when I"m staying there. It's just an observation of mine. *shrugs* (<------- I think I'm bruising my virtual shoulders now!) 

Well, that's my feeling of it too. Which goes into my thinking, if it was more than that, than it would be used as such. 

Hi Stubbs, I think it does fall under History-Social Science. 

Religiousness beliefs, ideologies are a staple of many cultures, we look at Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, Bhagdiva Gita, Taoism, Humanism,  etc. etc. 

I have been the learning coach on this course several times and I liked how it addressed the different philosophies, ideologies as beliefs systems  how cultures construct a belief in deities or one god, or no gods  for various reasons. It is not approached that the beliefs are factual, what it does is stop the nonsense that one philososphy is truer than another. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Sherapy said:
10 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Ah, thank you for informing me on this. Though, I wonder though, (and I look to you, Sheri, :blush: as I consider you extremely intelligent and extremely well informed. :yes: ) is Social Studies, part of the history curriculum? I ask this, because I thought it did, and still does. 

I see what you mean, about using it as a part of looking at differences in point's of views and how it's categorized in society and history. And I'm glad for your information in this part of your post: 

And, I might be going full blown semantic, ( and maybe a little crazy :wacko: on this, ((and sorry 'bout that))... ) but I always have thought if religious texts are considered history books, then they would be in history courses. I'm not full on doubting or razzing on Doug for seeing it as a history book, I'm sure he does. But, in an objective sense, I don't see considering it as such, if it wasn't in history classes. (................... am I getting too obsessive with this? :blink:  :hmm:   )

Unless, of course, they are and have been in various high school history classes, courses, and such, and I will be surprised, but humbled and accepting, if that is the case. (............... Ok, maybe I'm a ............... little obsessive! :o  ) 

*looking pleasantly sheepish* :devil: 

Well, anyways, that's my stance on it. :D 

You know, a couple of times, I have heard something in my neighborhood, something sounds like a Muslim call to prayer, or what I think is Arabic sounds, (actually it's a couple of seconds long), but for the life of me, I don't know where it's coming from. Yeah, there was a middle eastern family lived on this street many years ago, but that's not now or during the recent times I heard these chants. (Ok! I chalking this up to my own subjective assumptions of the paranormal! ((along with the train sounds, when all the rails here have turned to trails. :w00t:  :wacko: ) And yes, that's for another part of the forum. 

.... but, I digress! :sk  

Gotta luv ya!!! :st

If they look like the White Lighters I have seen on that show, why not! :D Seriously, though, I do believe it actually exists.  Based on that it's on shelves in bookstores, that I have worked at. And that I linked a Wikipedia article, (I know, Wikipedia *shrugs* ) that shows it's origins and such. ;) 

Why, oh why I have to put in the effort?!?!? :o  :wacko:  Kidding!!! I don't know. I don't even complain to the hotel staff about it, when I"m staying there. It's just an observation of mine. *shrugs* (<------- I think I'm bruising my virtual shoulders now!) 

Well, that's my feeling of it too. Which goes into my thinking, if it was more than that, than it would be used as such. 

Hi Stubbs, I think it does fall under History-Social Science. 

Religiousness beliefs, ideologies are a staple of many cultures, we look at Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity, Bhagdiva Gita, Taoism, Humanism,  etc. etc. 

I have been the learning coach on this course several times and I liked how it addressed the different philosophies, ideologies as beliefs systems  how cultures co strict a belief in deities or one god, or no gods  for various reasons. It is not approached that the beliefs are factual, what it does is stop the nonsense that one philososphy is truer than another. 

If I remember my high school social studies classes, I think I remember studying the outlook and the beliefs and other things, that shaped the times back then. So, in a sense, it's studying the history of people and their philosophies, right? In which, that is also very educational. But, I think, you and I are in agreement, it's not the religious books that are used as historic facts, it's them being used to shape the lives of those who read, depend on them, possess them. Correct? :) 

I keep forgetting that part, including what I remember from my time in high school. Though, not them being used as historic facts in the books, themselves. 

Good point, Sheri! :tu:  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Stereologist

:lol:I have been saying the same thing to him for a year and a half to no avail. This is the reason that I think watching him and a couple of his clones in a debate would be hilarious because they would likely argue different positions the same way and make the same claims and yet doubt the authenticity of the others claimed accolades.:whistle:

jmccr8

There is an old joke that if you put 5 Univerlist/Unitarians in a room and asked them to come up with a formal description of their beliefs they would eventually return with 8 different points of view.

I see a similar situation here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2