Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Aquila King

The Problem With Ghost Hunting (VIDEO)

Aquila King

While I do think there's something more out there than just this material existence, I've always had a bit of a problem with whole 'Ghost Hunting' community. Although I've had trouble putting it precisely into words.

Just found this video which explains my sentiments exactly. It's just 12:51 in length, and is well executed. Hope you enjoy:

P.S. - This isn't as much of a critique of whether or not ghosts or spirits exist, but rather, a detailed explanation for as to why most modern day ghost hunting techniques are inherently flawed.

• Like 3

jamesjr191

Many of her thoughts and doubts match my own but there are some folks out there that just will not listen to common sense even if it smacks them on the head :-)

• Like 2

preacherman76

Yeah that's a great video. It pretty much sums up how I've felt about this for a while. I think there is plenty of reason for people to want these things explored and studied. Plenty of reasons to believe something we don't understand exists. Its when people talk about it dogmatically, on either side of the coin is when they lose me.  

• Like 1

Frostburn

It's good to take a logical, analytical approach. Many points here are good ones and I think a lot of what's wrong with ghost hunting is preconceived notions of what's to be expected and what things are supposed to mean, rather than letting the evidence speak for itself and applying logic to interpreting it. 

Also keep in mind that the TV shows she's looking at are just that, TV shows, designed to entertain. The approach of most of these investigators is absurd to say the least. If they want to capture evidence, they should keep all equipment running at all times; not just a recorder ("Oh darn, I wish I'd have had a camera rolling!") or one person with a handycam, trying to keep a straight face when someone shouts, "Did you see that?! Oh man, you should have seen the full-bodied apparition I just came face-to-face with just out of camera view!" Keep a head-mounted GoPro on each investigator at all times. Run SLS, full spec and all cams, and please shut the hell up when recording to EVPs. Stop screaming, "WTF?! Did you hear that?!!" and contaminating every recording. Use the SB7 and the Ovilus as well; it's not subject to listeners' interpretation of words that are fuzzy at best. 

The bottom line is that this is supposed to be science, not thrill-seeking. And while you can beat someone over the head with indisputable evidence and not make a dent, one should attempt to gather clean evidence so the viewer can draw their own conclusions. 

Edited by Frostburn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1