Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
docyabut2

Bridge Falls In Florida

36 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

docyabut2
Posted (edited)

Killing a lot of people?

Edited by docyabut2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lilly

Just watching this now, it does indeed appear that there will be fatalities. 

We seriously need to repair and update our infra-structure. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

that was brand new bridge installed over the weekend

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
docyabut2
Quote

Earth quake , bomb or just weakness:(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
Quote

Earth quake , bomb or just weakness:(

more like either design flaw, or contractors cut corners and "saved money", also possible prefab parts may have been made with defective material, or not enough rebars, and contractor installing them did not know, nor he could.  the bridge was a small overpass, so most likely than not it was assembled from pre build parts

Edited by aztek
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lilly

Yeah, I just saw that this was a brand new bridge. I was figuring it had to be old in order to have just collapsed like that...guess not. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam

Nothing like making a bridge, then pouring hundreds of tons of concrete on it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Yeah, I just saw that this was a brand new bridge. I was figuring it had to be old in order to have just collapsed like that...guess not. 

That was my first guess as well.  How terrible.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney

Somebody cut corners and it ended lives. I hope the corner cutters receive manslaughter charges on top of a whole lot of other charges.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy
51 minutes ago, Piney said:

Somebody cut corners and it ended lives. I hope the corner cutters receive manslaughter charges on top of a whole lot of other charges.

Good thing for them, this isn't China. Yet the corruption continues.

No idea in this case.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

Good thing for them, this isn't China. Yet the corruption continues.

No idea in this case.

I was looking at the pictures and it looked like instability issues with the crete. @Jarocal is a pro so maybe he has opinions

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam

Looks like one end just crashed down and pulled the rest with it. It was 174 feet long and weighed 950 tons. That's 5 tons per foot. ridiculous.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam
1 minute ago, Piney said:

I was looking at the pictures and it looked like instability issues with the crete. @Jarocal is a pro so maybe he has opinions

You saw the one side looked like it crashed straight down? That's what caught my eye.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

It's believed to have collapse due to catastrophic failure. The estimate from a Florida Senator says the death total could be from 6-10. It was built in 6 hours on Saturday. Several cars below were crushed and there were people on the bridge at the time.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/pedestrian-bridge-collapses-in-miami-several-dead/97463/

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
5 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Looks like one end just crashed down and pulled the rest with it. It was 174 feet long and weighed 950 tons. That's 5 tons per foot. ridiculous.

and I didn't see any bar sticking up....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam
Just now, susieice said:

It's believed to have collapse due to catastrophic failure. The estimate from a Florida Senator says the death total could be from 6-10. It was built in 6 hours on Saturday. Several cars below were crushed and there were people on the bridge at the time.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/pedestrian-bridge-collapses-in-miami-several-dead/97463/

My guess would be not enough structural steel and too much concrete.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
South Alabam
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

and I didn't see any bar sticking up....

I see what you mean. It is like the left side walkway completely separated from the support pillar. It happened so fast the top bar just fell straight over and the rest of the bridge collapsed under the load.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy

Is there one good site that has a lot of pictures?

I'm on dial-up, so please, no videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jarocal
35 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was looking at the pictures and it looked like instability issues with the crete. @Jarocal is a pro so maybe he has opinions

Not sure, glancing through the article construction was not complete. The "on paper " stats are only correct with a completed in spec installation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, Jarocal said:

Not sure, glancing through the article construction was not complete. The "on paper " stats are only correct with a completed in spec installation. 

Did you look at the pics of the downed bridge? It looks like the crete shattered like glass. I saw some crumbled crete I had to K12 through but nothing like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jarocal
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Did you look at the pics of the downed bridge? It looks like the crete shattered like glass. I saw some crumbled crete I had to K12 through but nothing like that.

I'm surprised to see pics with people on the bridge if construction was not complete. That's a pretty long span of concrete dropping so the way it shattered is not overly surprising. Not that news media often does, but i hope they link to the report on caul for failure an the investigation is complete.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
4 hours ago, Jarocal said:

I'm surprised to see pics with people on the bridge if construction was not complete. That's a pretty long span of concrete dropping so the way it shattered is not overly surprising. Not that news media often does, but i hope they link to the report on caul for failure an the investigation is complete.

From the video in South Alabam's link, the people on the bridge were workers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.