Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kansas commissioner attacks atheists

GoldenWolf

Atheists who want to deliver an invocation at a Sedgwick County, Kansas Commission meeting can “go to hell,” a county commissioner said Tuesday.

“If you don’t believe in (God), that’s fine with me,” Commissioner David Unruh said during the county staff meeting. “I don’t care, go to hell. It’s fine.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article205089549.html

Nothing but rancorous arrogance I.M.O.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

2014-01-08-original2-thumb.jpg

I'd bring a jacket.

eh, hell's in the lower. the tropics. i live closer to Paradise and Christmas.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

speaking as an atheist, "go to hell" is one of the funniest things you can say to me

:lol:

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Love thy neighbor as thy self. Often forgotten commandment.

The guy could have explained himself more tactfully but Christians understand the concept of spiritual warfare.  As in, Paul's exhortation of who the real enemy is:

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world

If he has the authority to refuse a public microphone to an entity that he feels is at war with Christians then I can understand why he'd do it.  The voters can decide how they feel about that in the future.  If the situation were playing out in a Liberal hotbed and he was an Atheist and decided to refuse a podium for a Christian I'd say the same thing.  Let the voters decide what they want in leadership.  

11 minutes ago, and then said:

The guy could have explained himself more tactfully but Christians understand the concept of spiritual warfare.  As in, Paul's exhortation of who the real enemy is:

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world

If he has the authority to refuse a public microphone to an entity that he feels is at war with Christians then I can understand why he'd do it.  The voters can decide how they feel about that in the future.  If the situation were playing out in a Liberal hotbed and he was an Atheist and decided to refuse a podium for a Christian I'd say the same thing.  Let the voters decide what they want in leadership.  

So not only his first amendment right was violated, he was pre judged and condemned without 5th amendment rights. Gotcha.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

speaking as an atheist, "go to hell" is one of the funniest things you can say to me

Go to Hell. :D

I mean that in the most heart felt way, you know that.

19 minutes ago, and then said:

There is no 'spiritual warfare', except amongst those who complain the most.

You jumped out of an airplane not long ago and, "almost touched the face of God".

That was one of the most liberating experiences I ever had.

• Like 6

It's not very Christian of that man to tell anybody to go to hell...

When I was still religious I also really, really hated it when a character in movies/shows/books tells another to "see you in Hell" I was like "How dare you! You don't have the authority to decide those matters!"
Now I just don't like it, because I think it's corny.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Amen to that! No person has the right to.

A musician friend once told me, "I don't know where I'm going to go when I die, I just know that the band's going to be good."

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

You jumped out of an airplane not long ago and, "almost touched the face of God".

That was one of the most liberating experiences I ever had.

I haven't jumped out of an airplane yet, but to me nature is the only place I find the divine. Nature and the company of others. Never found it in a church, never in a book, never in shrines or statues. 
Only in life itself.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I haven't jumped out of an airplane yet, but to me nature is the only place I find the divine. Nature and the company of others. Never found it in a church, never in a book, never in shrines or statues. 
Only in life itself.

William Blake  -

"To see a World in a Grain of Sand, And a Heaven in a Wild Flower 

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour."
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

When I was still religious I also really, really hated it when a character in movies/shows/books tells another to "see you in Hell" I was like "How dare you! You don't have the authority to decide those matters!"
Now I just don't like it, because I think it's corny.

I agree with you; but the fact is that Christians actually do believe atheists are going to hell.  Well, ooops.....one guy called me out on painting Christians with a broad brush......many or most Christians think atheists are going to hell.  

Which is weird because they say they believe in a loving God.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I agree with you; but the fact is that Christians actually do believe atheists are going to hell.  Well, ooops.....one guy called me out on painting Christians with a broad brush......many or most Christians think atheists are going to hell.  

Which is weird because they say they believe in a loving God.  

It's easier to believe in the concept of a loving God than it is to live that life within.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, and then said:

The separation of church and state just isn't in your vocabulary is it?... :mellow:

• Like 8

The atheist should have every right to speak during the time the commission sets aside for its opening prayer. His point of view is as much important as everyone else, who choose to use this moment to pray. The only issue I have is: does he only intend to belittle or perhaps even mock other people's beliefs or are his intent genuine and sincere? That I cannot judge. But his voice should be heard nonetheless.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 3

Somehow, the "WYSIWYG" editor attributed this quote to another poster. The correct poster is and then

Actually, he doesn't have that authority. Read the Fourteenth Amendment, then the First. The voters can change the Constitution to give county commissioners the authority to promote their religion at county expense, if that turns out to be the will of the people, but until then, the atheists get their turn at the microphone.

I didn't catch what political liberalism had to do with belief or unbelief in gods, nor what either political liberalism or atheism had to do refusing a podium for a Christian. Is there anywhere in the United States where Christians suffer persecution in silence?

-

@and then

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

but he, as a public figure, does not have that authority. if he denies them the right to speak, he is violating the law.

Then I suspect he won't be a public figure for much longer.  

9 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Actually, he doesn't have that authority.

Hence the qualifier:  "If he has the authority to refuse a public microphone to an entity"  

and then

Hence the qualifier:  "If he has the authority to refuse a public microphone to an entity"  

Fantastic. So we're in agreement, then?

-

@and then

• Like 1

The practice was largely noncontroversial until last year, when activists opposed to a Tyson Chicken plant started attending the meetings regularly and questioned why the county allowed sometimes lengthy religious presentations during its meetings.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article205089549.html

Which came first  The chicken; or the egg on their faces? 

To meet the spirit of the constituion, atheists and Buddhists muslims, etc. might all have a right to deliver the invocation 

Looks like the law will decide the issue.   One thing. If the y find in favour then it will establish that atheism is indeed a belief. 

While the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that prayers and invocations are acceptable at public meetings, its 2014 ruling in the case Town of Greece N.Y. v. Galloway mandated that the government not exclude or discriminate against any beliefs, Line said.

Edited by Mr Walker