Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bald eagles' food fight in slow-motion video

Still Waters

Majestic as they are, bald eagles can lead surprisingly scrappy lives. In addition to aerial battles waged over territory, the birds sometimes wield their sharp talons while tussling over a bite of fish.

Photographer Christian Sasse recently captured an eagle altercation in slow motion in Dutch Harbor, Alaska, part of the Aleutian Islands.

The video shows a juvenile eagle with mottled colors swooping into a group of birds and slamming into an adult eagle calmly picking at a fish. The adult, knocked backward in a melee of froth and feathers, is nearly completely submerged—but manages to right itself.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/03/birds-animals-bald-eagles-alaska-fights/

• Like 1

Great footage..there such powerful birds.And the males so polite allowing the females to eat first..gotta like that!  Actually females typically grow quite larger then the males

Recently a dead sealion has washed up on our shores and I have been watching nature take its course with the eagles feasting on it.There not as aggressive as in video and seem to take there turns at it. I grab a coffee in morning and walk down and watch them. Im lucky that way as its" Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom " right on my doorstep! Not sure if anyone remembers that tv show. Too bad for sealion but judging by size and wear on teeth it grew to be a ripe old age. The eagles certainly dont seem to mind !

A bloke I used to know used to have a Bald Eagle that he used to fly free he would fly her up and down a lake it kept the Cormorants off then as she reached maturity she would just saw up and away,she'd go miles away then he'd have to get the telemetry out track her down and bring her back in the end she was to much to handle as a free flyer so she was used in a breeding program ..... she made my Buzzard look small

• Like 1