Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dutton's white South African resettlement

Unusual Tournament

Dutton's white South African farmers resettlement gaining momentum

A conservative push to resettle "persecuted" white South African farmers in Australia is gaining momentum with several MPs calling for a special humanitarian intake.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has caused a diplomatic row with South Africa after declaring white farmers in the country were facing "horrific circumstances" and needed protection from a "civilised country".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-16/persecuted-white-south-african-farmers-resettlement-gaining-mom/9556098

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Hard to believe this is the 21st century.

hard to believe that Australia might have a secret white Australia policy or that South Africa is persecuting white farmers?

Good on Australia. Pain and abuse is pain and abuse, losing your land without compensation and being murdered is losing your land and being murdered. 

Greed is universal and whomever is in power will exercise it. Color has nothing to do with it. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Good on Australia. Pain and abuse is pain and abuse, losing your land without compensation and being murdered is losing your land and being murdered. 

Greed is universal and whomever is in power will exercise it. Color has nothing to do with it. 

not very diplomatic of Dutton, thou. alot of people world wide are suffering abuse and racism and Australia has opened its borders to many. so in that respect i see nothing wrong with Dutton's immigration stance. 

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

not very diplomatic of Dutton, thou. alot of people world wide are suffering abuse and racism and Australia has opened its borders to many. so in that respect i see nothing wrong with Dutton's immigration stance. 

I am no expert on Au politics but as many other refugees as they have taken in, this should be seen as simply another group. So what if it offends South Africa? If they are allowing land to be seized and people to suffer then they are no better than anyone else. 

13 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I am no expert on Au politics but as many other refugees as they have taken in, this should be seen as simply another group. So what if it offends South Africa? If they are allowing land to be seized and people to suffer then they are no better than anyone else. 

on the surface, i would generally agree with you. but Dutton was a former immigration minister and has alot of baggage with immigration and immigrants suffering the same fate and worse. in short, his time in the immigration ministry was one of generally not being as generous as he is being with the plight of the South African farmers, to put it mildly. this hasn't escaped the attention of other high profile Liberal party members either like Julie Bishop, who some say has a very good chance of eventually becoming an Australian Prime Minister (like a President).

so those of us familiar with Australian politics are left wondering that if these farmers were black, brown, yellow or purple with red polka-dots would Dutton have made such an appeal for these immigrants when he has taken such a hardline on similar non whites.   

• Like 1

Hmm. Thank you for taking the time to explain more about it. I really appreciate that.

On one hand, I am so sick of the racism which seems like sludge sliding into everything like mud. They are probably quite right he would care at a different level if they were not a group he could identify with more easily.

On the other hand, maybe it is some progress that he is caring more, and racism aside, should we not seek to help any groups we can who are in trouble? The obvious answer is yes.

When it comes to racism I am sorry to think that this is a phase we are going to need a lot more time to weed out of ourselves and our societies. It will not be over night and with so much wariness on all sides suspicion of it when it isn't there is a problem also. It will just take concerted effort on all sides to try to work toward a day when it really is not an issue. That is the hope. If all sides do not wake up to some empathy for the Other, whomever that group is, we have much longer odds against the hope being anything we achieve soon.

JMO. If nothing else why bash him? I mean even a stopped clock is right twice a day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Hmm. Thank you for taking the time to explain more about it. I really appreciate that.

On one hand, I am so sick of the racism which seems like sludge sliding into everything like mud. They are probably quite right he would care at a different level if they were not a group he could identify with more easily.

On the other hand, maybe it is some progress that he is caring more, and racism aside, should we not seek to help any groups we can who are in trouble? The obvious answer is yes.

When it comes to racism I am sorry to think that this is a phase we are going to need a lot more time to weed out of ourselves and our societies. It will not be over night and with so much wariness on all sides suspicion of it when it isn't there is a problem also. It will just take concerted effort on all sides to try to work toward a day when it really is not an issue. That is the hope. If all sides do not wake up to some empathy for the Other, whomever that group is, we have much longer odds against the hope being anything we achieve soon.

JMO. If nothing else why bash him? I mean even a stopped clock is right twice a day. 

okay i see your point and i agree. but i think more consistency in policy and not so much racism, per-se is the real issue.

but does this mean that Australia's immigration policy has changed? so anyone that feels persecuted or in fear of one's life get to automatically immigrate to Australia? i think that would be news for alot of immigrants stranded and incarcerated on Islands like Manus and the like for fleeing to Australia under the same circumstances that Dutton has mentioned for white South Africans. of course they're from other war torn country's and aren't white. like you say minister Dutton can't identify with. 

which ever way you look at it his good intentions are being rightly judged across the board for any hypocrisy, as they should be. 

It’s not racism, it’s just that there are some groups which are much more compatible with ‘the Australian way of life’. 

South Africa the New Zimbabwe.

It would be nice if OUR OWN farmers got a bit of love from the government, maybe some financial aid. Maybe not having the water they need diverted to stations owned by the Chinese.