Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mystery of the Hypogeum

Unusual Tournament

The Mystery of the Hypogeum

The burial place known as the “Hypogeum of Hal Saflieni”, was so named after the street under which it was discovered in the early years of the last century. Hypogeum is the Latin name for an underground structure. (Many experts believe it was orginally built as a temple of worship and should be recognised as the eighth wonder of the ancient world.)

http://www.independent.com.mt/articles/2004-04-11/local-news/The-Mystery-of-the-Hypogeum-65879

• Like 1

Risky, if you buy this story, I've got some really exciting real estate deals -- a certain bridge in New York City and a certain well-known cliffside in South Dakota -- for you, but you'll have to PM me quickly. Offers like these don't last forever.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Risky, if you buy this story, I've got some really exciting real estate deals -- a certain bridge in New York City and a certain well-known cliffside in South Dakota -- for you, but you'll have to PM me quickly. Offers like these don't last forever.

--Jaylemurph

just sent you a PM... I'm prepared to beat any potential offer above and beyond your cheap asking price...  

of particular interest is the incredible sound effects this subterranean structure has. not to mention the various legends associated with the mystery of the place. enjoy!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

certain well-known cliffside in South Dakota

--Jaylemurph

Oh, the one stolen from us? nice....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

of particular interest is the incredible sound effects this subterranean structure has. not to mention the various legends associated with the mystery of the place. enjoy!

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/march-2012/article/ancient-builders-created-monumental-structures-that-altered-sound-and-mind-say-researchers

• Like 1

Map off Wikipedia....

1280px-Plan_Magri_Hal_Salflieni.jpg

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

However silly and dubious the rumors are about the site, it looks like a legitimately interesting place to explore.

• Like 5

I visited the hypogeum sometime around 1980, we were told very little about it other than that it was mainly Roman but parts were very old indeed. My recollection is very sketchy, but my Father  remembers it quite well, no mention was made to him of supernatural shenanigans. We used to have quite a few photos, but theses have gone the way of several house moves and my parents divorce, so nothing of them remains. 

Not particularly helpful, but it's my two pennorth. 

Didn't some cultures have subterranean worship places?

• Like 3

On 3/22/2018 at 1:45 PM, pallidin said:

Didn't some cultures have subterranean worship places?

sure they did. places of initiation. cemeteries for ancestor worship and even worshipping the underworld. it would be interesting to know whether it was a natural cave that was carved out for their purposes or whether it used carved from scratch.    

• Like 1