Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious sea creature washes ashore

Still Waters

A mysterious sea creature washed ashore in St. Simons Island and it has beachgoers scratching their heads.

Jeff Warren and his son were at Wolf Island National Wildlife Refuge just north of St. Simons Island in Georgia Friday when they came upon the creature on a barrier island.

Warren thought it was a dead seal, but said when he got a closer look it resembled more of the Loch Ness monster.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/mysterious-sea-creature-washes-ashore-in-st-simons-island

• Like 7

Cams across reference to this a few days ago, the comentator saying that it was a well known photoshop that had been doing the rounds. But they gave no more than that.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Cams across reference to this a few days ago, the comentator saying that it was a well known photoshop that had been doing the rounds. But they gave no more than that.

My first thought when seeing the picture was it looks like a hoax, but then after only finding it in two places on the internet I decided to post it anyway to see what others thought about it.  It's on Coast to Coast and on someones Facebook, that's all I've been able to find. If you have a link to more information about this image it would be helpful if you could share it with us, although from what you've said I think you mean you heard something rather than read it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

My first thought when seeing the picture was it looks like a hoax, but then after only finding it in two places on the internet I decided to post it anyway to see what others thought about it.  It's on Coast to Coast and on someones Facebook, that's all I've been able to find. If you have a link to more information about this image it would be helpful if you could share it with us, although from what you've said I think you mean you heard something rather than read it.

That's it sorry. I checked again, it was on a FB group, but there's only that one comment, and no reference to any duscussion ir analysis elsewhere. 

I've git no insights to offer either other than I'd be very surprised if it turned out to be a kniwn species decomposed or otherwise, so hoax ir amazing duscovery seems like the most likely to me. But if it comes up on one of the expert groups (which I visit to pick up crumbs) I'll pass it on.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, oldrover said:

But if it comes up on one of the expert groups (which I visit to pick up crumbs) I'll pass it on.

Thank you.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Thank you.

Your welcome...If you have a question about a particular image you can use this:

https://tineye.com

All you have to do is put in the url of the image...

• Like 1

Why would they blur any of it out? 

Looks like a bit of seaweed on top of a dead fish. 

Shame they did not put something beside it so we could see how big, or small it really is, looking at the grains and pebbles around it, not big at all.

He gave a size, and yet nothing to compare it with, even his shoe? 

Seems fishy to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Still Waters said:

My first thought when seeing the picture was it looks like a hoax,

I was thinking hoax too. There is nothing to provide scale, no landmarks in the picture and only one picture

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I was thinking hoax too. There is nothing to provide scale, no landmarks in the picture and only one picture

And it's only on one local news outlet. 

Which probably explains 

26 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Why would they blur any of it out? 

The blurred area looks pinkish which might mean that it's its guts hanging out there. So this might be why the little local news outlet blurred it to protect their reader's sensibilities. 

That's not to suggest I think it's genuine, just that it's a manipulation of a real animal or the hoaxers added a little grisly flourish.

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

And it's only on one local news outlet. 

Which probably explains 

The blurred area looks pinkish which might mean that it's its guts hanging out there. So this might be why the little local news outlet blurred it to protect their reader's sensibilities. 

Then they should have gone to the beach to find out for themselves for sure, to protect their readers intelligence. :-*

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

There is a couple of pebbles and ..376 trillion grains of sand....approx.

Edited by freetoroam

So, can people manipulate video? Does this point now toward bizarrely decomposed carcass or model, or is photo fakery still on the table?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldrover said:

So, can people manipulate video? Does this point now toward bizarrely decomposed carcass or model, or is photo fakery still on the table?  

I think perhaps a decomposed carcass, especially after the link LSJ posted.

Director Dan Ashe said some sea animals have a way of decomposing where they can resemble a Plesiosaur. 

Typically, he said, a 30-foot basking shark can decompose in a way where it looks like it has a long neck and tiny head, resembling a prehistoric creature.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/strange-sea-creature-washes-ashore-on-georgia-beach/717534899

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

But what animal this might be is something I can't suggest. Looking at the fin, it seems to me to be solid like a shark's, or a mammal, or reptile rather than a ray fin fish. But I don't know enough about marine life to say much. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

It isn't really really decomposed, the shape and skin is intact? oldrover was going in the right direction when he mentioned the blurring in the original photo was to protect biewers sensibilities... ir it a hoax with animal entrails planted to add authenticity to it?? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ohelemapit said:

It isn't really really decomposed, the shape and skin is intact? oldrover was going in the right direction when he mentioned the blurring in the original photo was to protect biewers sensibilities... ir it a hoax with animal entrails planted to add authenticity to it?? 

I must admit I'm leaning toward model, plus some giblets. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

But what animal this might be is something I can't suggest. Looking at the fin, it seems to me to be solid like a shark's, or a mammal, or reptile rather than a ray fin fish. But I don't know enough about marine life to say much. 

The tail is very shark like... but like you, I don't know enough about Marine life to throw out an option? 

• Like 1

Just now, oldrover said:

I must admit I'm leaning toward model, plus some giblets. 

I agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

This one looks like a photo manipulation hoax to me.

Anytime your dealing with things like crypts, ufos etc....thats always a possibility...Photoshop probably has a cryptid/ufo button somewhere.

• Like 3