Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blinded by your religion.

jamesjr191

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

You got a better one? How much does your emotions play in your beliefs? 

http://bigthink.com/going-mental/the-neurological-origins-of-religious-belief

None. I don't have beliefs but if i did the y would be constructed logically and rationally to gain me the best benefits from  life that beliefs could give me.

So if i lived in a different culture i would alter my "belief" constructs to suit thatt culture and get the benefits form their cultural beliefs but then my emotions are deliberate intellectual constructs not unconscious biological drivers or chemical impulses. They are consciously constructed neural patterns and pathways in my mind   The human mind can control and regulate  the release of such chemicals and should not be controlled by them 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Spirituality is a combination of dopamine and seratonin. Those are the chemical released due to idea's such as faith or belief. They can even be drained if the idea of said belief or idea is negative. So yeah, just brain chemistry. 

That cant be true scientifically as other animals demonstrate the release of  exactly  the same chemicals , yet demonstrate absolutely  no evidence of human type spirituality and belief.

Clearly then, these are intellectual constructs, made possible only  by humans unique levels of self aware consciousness  which includes  language, abstract thought, and symbolism.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2018 at 4:54 AM, XenoFish said:

I often wonder if it takes some form of narcissism or egotistical personality to be religions. This doesn't mean every religions person is an ego maniac, but how self centered do you have to be in order to believe that a god will answer your prayers?

Not at all ,if you believe the same god walks with all,  and tries to answer all their prayers, without doing them harm by doing so.

In very simple terms, gods DO answer prayers, other wise people would have stopped praying long ago. (or you might argue that life works out in a way that the human mind connects to an answer to prayer.and so people believe their prayers are answered)

Same difference, really..   

Very simple example. I  drive to the grocery store and find all the parks taken up.  I say, " Hey god can you please open up a parking space in front of the grocery store, so I don't have to lug the groceries any distance? " I drive around the block and, sure  enough, there is now a spot right in front of the shop.   "Thanks god, you're a real pal " 

Did god give me the park  because  I asked him to? Would it have appeared if I had not asked for it? 

Who knows?

Yet the park always appears when i ask god for one,   so it is easy to believe that he did :) 

Of course, sometimes he also chastises me, with comments like. " If you weren't so damn lazy  you could carry a few bags of groceries across the road a few yards " or  "You realise i am not really doing you any favours.   You'd be healthier and live longer if you got more exercise"   

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Walker said:

In very simple terms, gods DO answer prayers, other wise people would have stopped praying long ago. (or you might argue that life works out in a way that the human mind connects to an answer to prayer.and so people believe their prayers are answered)

Of course there is always a (ir)rational way to refute things which are not clearly seen or measurable. Whenever something strongly points to metaphysical influence and reality of spirit world there is always a "clever" way to deny pretty obvious things.

Edited by Illyrius

40 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

Of course there is always a (ir)rational way to refute things which are not clearly seen or measurable. Whenever something strongly points to metaphysical influence and reality of spirit world there is always a "clever" way to deny pretty obvious things.

Which way are you arguing is irrational, and which way "clever" ?  (never mind. I see you liked all my posts, so i can make an assumption as to your answer :) The human mind is cognitively biased towards certain ways of thinking, and  constructing answers to questions which cannot be factually answered,   yet sometimes things simply are as they appear to be. The problem is that, in different cases, or examples,  either    answer may be the correct one, and this may differ from case to case.   Some people may perceive a gods intervention  where none exists.  Others may deny the presence and intervention  of a god where it is clearly present   

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

never mind. I see you liked all my posts, so i can make an assumption as to your answer :)

Yea.. i like your posts and you dont like mine, see how nice i am? lols kidding :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illyrius said:

Yea.. i like your posts and you dont like mine, see how nice i am? lols kidding :)

No i ;liked it I just couldn't work out what you were saying.  I wasn't sure if  you were agreeing or disagreeing that such things are possible  or not  

You've obviously  been around for a while, given the number of your posts, yet i don't recall much of your posting, which might mean i  haven't got into many arguments with you :)  or is that you have just adopted a new avatar? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

No i ;liked it I just couldn't work out what you were saying.  I wasn't sure if  you were agreeing or disagreeing that such things are possible  or not  

You've obviously  been around for a while, given the number of your posts, yet i don't recall much of your posting, which might mean i  haven't got into many arguments with you :)  or is that you have just adopted a new avatar? 

Argon.

10 hours ago, Will Due said:

There is no scientific evidence that when the neurons of a brain are firing that they produce thoughts.

Therefore scientifically, thoughts do not exist.

I have to disagree with you here Will. You can observe the specific pattern of neurons firing which are our thoughts.

A single memory is first  attached to a single neuron and as more complex memories are built, a pattern of neural connection is how this is done.  So when you remember a holiday your brain will reconstruct basically  the same neural pattern every time. Whenyou speak the same sentence your brain wil fire up with the same neural pattern each time   Thus we can slowly decode neural patterns into specific words sentences and images in the brain.

Thoughts, both as pictures and as world are precisely, and only, the neural patterns of electro chemical energy  in our brain.

Because we are human with a sophisticated level of self ware consciousness  we can identify and control those patterns and  learn to reproduce them to consciously learn language and  other skills.

You can even record images of thoughts  from  a brain   and some simple words and sentences, by decoding the patterns of neural firing and interconnection 

• Like 1

responded to wrong post :( 

Edited by Mr Walker

7 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

Argon.

lol yes of course i remember that conversation with aquila ?  where he was also confused :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

None. I don't have beliefs but if i did the y would be constructed logically and rationally to gain me the best benefits from  life that beliefs could give me.

So if i lived in a different culture i would alter my "belief" constructs to suit thatt culture and get the benefits form their cultural beliefs but then my emotions are deliberate intellectual constructs not unconscious biological drivers or chemical impulses. They are consciously constructed neural patterns and pathways in my mind   The human mind can control and regulate  the release of such chemicals and should not be controlled by them 

In other words our mind (something imperceptible) has control over this chemicals (something perceptible). This fits in rather nicely to "mind over matter" axiom.

7 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Ahh Walker,

After all the self promoting of your personal beliefs are you really going to say that you don't have any beliefs?:huh:

You have spent untold hours telling us that you come here to teach and be a rebel leader in imaginary thinking then in the second paragraph of your post you say that you would be a follower for personal gain/benefit. Hmm a believer believes no matter what the circumstances, to be honest I don't see how this is possible given your propensity for arguing with conviction imaginary positions.:hmm:

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
Phone is messing with me
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Not at all ,if you believe the same god walks with all,  and tries to answer all their prayers, without doing them harm by doing so.

Same difference, really..   

Very simple example. I  drive to the grocery store and find all the parks taken up.  I say, " Hey god can you please open up a parking space in front of the grocery store, so I don't have to lug the groceries any distance? " I drive around the block and, sure  enough, there is now a spot right in front of the shop.   "Thanks god, you're a real pal " 

Did god give me the park  because  I asked him to? Would it have appeared if I had not asked for it? 

Who knows?

Yet the park always appears when i ask god for one,   so it is easy to believe that he did :) 

Of course, sometimes he also chastises me, with comments like. " If you weren't so damn lazy  you could carry a few bags of groceries across the road a few yards " or  "You realise i am not really doing you any favours.   You'd be healthier and live longer if you got more exercise"   

Hi Walker

So even if god thinks you need the exercise and tells you so god goes against it's own better judgement and gives you what you want even if it eventually kills you? Well I guess so why not, your god stopped you from smoking then waited till you were in the hospital waiting for heart surgery before giving you a bible and a warning that your health was in peril. Do you think he will warn you again or just give up trying because you won't walk those few extra yards for your own good?:rolleyes:

jmccr8

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Ahh Walker,

After all the self promoting of your personal beliefs are you really going to say that you don't have any beliefs?:huh:

You have spent untold hours telling us that you come here to teach and be a rebel leader in imaginary thinking there in the second paragraph of your post you say that you would be a follower for personal gain/benefit. Hmm a believer believes not matter what the circumstances, to be honest I don't see how this is possible given your propensity for arguing with conviction imaginary positions.:hmm:

jmccr8

Walker's a nihilist now? :blink:

• Like 4

Just now, XenoFish said:

Walker's a nihilist now? :blink:

Hi Xeno

Why not, he is a master of everything and likely has an outstanding argument to support both sides of his position.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Xeno

Why not, he is a master of everything and likely has an outstanding argument to support both sides of his position.:lol:

jmccr8

Silly me, I completely forgot. Maybe it was through nihilism that he mastered his emotions. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Silly me, I completely forgot. Maybe it was through nihilism that he mastered his emotions. 

:lol::whistle:

jmccr8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I need to master the art of nihilism. So I must do nothing.....wait what?

Hi Xeno

I've got so much nothing I'm giving it away for free.:D

jmccr8

• Like 3

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Xeno

jmccr8

Kinda reminds me of the fun I had with this kid that came around telling me that I would get one of the local newspapers free for 3 months if I gave a $40.00 donation?:huh:

jmccr8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Xeno

jmccr8

Nihilism sound like hard work. Doing nothing all day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Yup working hard at hardly working, it's an exhausting endeavor and not just anyone can be successful at it.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Literally cannot argue with nihilism

• Like 3