Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blinded by your religion.

jamesjr191

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There's nothing to argue about.:lol:

Hi Xeno

As our fearless pet poster says nothing is impossible, in the future we may well be able to argue it while flying to the sun with wings on our backs so we can walk on the sun nekked.:whistle:

jmccr8

• Like 2

What a minute!

If you believe in nothing can you be blinded by belief/faith? Since you'd have to believe in something, yet you would believe in nothing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What a minute!

If you believe in nothing can you be blinded by belief/faith? Since you'd have to believe in something, yet you would believe in nothing.

Blind nothingness well I guess a guy wouldn't miss much then.:D

jmccr8

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

Who can see better in the  dark a blind man or one who can't see in the dark?

jmccr8

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

This leads to a problem. A paradox. If you believe in nothing, you believe in something. That something is nothing, yet if you believe in nothing you can't believe in something. Around and around this goes........so you can't believe in nothing, because believing in nothing is believing in something.

TyP5EK9.gif

Edited by XenoFish
I confused myself lol
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

This leads to a problem. A paradox. If you believe in nothing, you believe in something. That something is nothing, yet if you believe in nothing you can't believe in nothing. Around and around this goes........so you can't believe in nothing, because believing on nothing is believing in something.

TyP5EK9.gif

Yes but can you have blind faith in nothing?

jmccr8

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

you evil man. :devil:

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

Nope and double nope!!  At least I can't - I guess most religious people do but I've already made it clear what my views are on that subject. But to reiterate: religion/god(s) was invented by people barely out of the 'tree swinging' stage who could not explain and protect themselves from things they didn't understand and were afraid of - in my mind, it's that simple. I am not afraid of things that I understand - take for example, snakes - I spent many years as a licensed land surveyor and know which snakes reside in my area and  which ones can kill me (rattlers, cottonmouths, coral). The others (black snakes, corn snakes, king snakes, etc.) are not a threat and I know it and, therefore, feel no fear when I see one. The others I don't really fear but I respect them enough to steer clear. Lack of knowledge/ignorance (different from'stupid') leads to fear which is why we should keep learning as much as possible about our surroundings - the more knowledge, the less fear. You can't fear what you understand - respect, yes, but not fear.

I think religion was picked up by shamans, medicine men, priests and rulers to further expand their own power and keep the populace under control - it's still that way today IMHO.

Edited by Mr Guitar
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I'd like to enlighten my cigarette, anyone got a match

jmccr8

Sorry I have nothing.:P

• Like 3

Way back then they barely knew what they were doing, now imagine a whole Chamber of them knowing exactly what they were doing ...

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mr Guitar said:

Nope and double nope!!  At least I can't - I guess most religious people do but I've already made it clear what my views are on that subject. But to reiterate: religion/god(s) was invented by people barely out of the 'tree swinging' stage who could not explain and protect themselves from things they didn't understand and were afraid of - in my mind, it's that simple. I am not afraid of things that I understand - take for example, snakes - I spent many years as a licensed land surveyor and know which snakes reside in my area and  which ones can kill me (rattlers, cottonmouths, coral). The others (black snakes, corn snakes, king snakes, etc.) are not a threat and I know it and, therefore, feel no fear when I see one. The others I don't really fear but I respect them enough to steer clear. Lack of knowledge/ignorance (different from'stupid') leads to fear which is why we should keep learning as much as possible about our surroundings - the more knowledge, the less fear. You can't fear what you understand - respect, yes, but not fear.

I think religion was picked up by shamans, medicine men, priests and rulers to further expand their own power and keep the populace under control - it's still that way today IMHO.

Its easy to control others through belief and superstition. Especially with their mortality and desire for some type of eternal existence. It plays on existential fears.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's nearly 30 minutes of my life I'm not wasting on a video. 

That shows how much you are interested to learn, I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

That shows how much you are interested to learn, I guess.

Not really. I just don't feel like wasting my time and giving ad money to someone on YouTube. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

What a minute!

22p815.jpg

• Like 2

Time for a timely little Musical Intermission ...

~

[00.03:07]

~

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Guitar said:

But to reiterate: religion/god(s) was invented by people barely out of the 'tree swinging' stage who could not explain and protect themselves from things they didn't understand and were afraid of - in my mind, it's that simple.

I would rather reverse this and comment; Non believers invented nihilism right from a deceptive  primitive understanding of newtonian mechanics and rediculous philosophy of determinism, and under the influence of these twisted bogeyman perspectives and overflowed with the fear from the unknown arose modern snobish worldwide cult of scientific materialism.

Edited by Illyrius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Guitar said:

in my mind, it's that simple.

But science doesn't have evidence for mind. Scientifically, mind does not exist, and it's that simple.

You only have a brain, which science says there's evidence that it's just a machine, like an electric toothbrush.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Not really. I just don't feel like wasting my time and giving ad money to someone on YouTube. 

Mario Beauregard is a cognitive neuroscientist doing real lab research on the connection between the brain and spirituality. Not mere speculation. He dismantles piece by piece the (mostly false) materialistic assumptions about mind and consciousness.

That'd be something I'd want to learn more about, if I were truly interested.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Mario Beauregard is a cognitive neuroscientist doing real lab research on the connection between the brain and spirituality. Not mere speculation. He dismantles piece by piece the (mostly false) materialistic assumptions about mind and consciousness.

That'd be something I'd want to learn more about, if I were truly interested.

I'm not truly interested. Its a nihilist thing. You wouldn't understand. 

• Like 3

You see clockwork, I have no desire to prove or disprove some spiritual aspect of consciousness. Which is only 5% of ourselves anyway. I'm interested in how our thoughts and ideas affect us. 

You and others can knock yourselves out discussing the existence/nonexistence of the human soul. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Illyrius said:

Of course there is always a (ir)rational way to refute things which are not clearly seen or measurable.

If they're not clearly seen or measurable, one might argue they may as well not exist.  They *do* not exist, if you also add our mind's ability to create it's own internal reality.

11 hours ago, Illyrius said:

Whenever something strongly points to metaphysical influence and reality of spirit world there is always a "clever" way to deny pretty obvious things.

"Clever"?  "Obvious"?  And your absolute best example is?  I would suggest your smarm is one born from constant handwaving about things that may as well not exist.  Or don't.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Xeno

I've got so much nothing I'm giving it away for free.:D

jmccr8

Ha ha ha ha ha J., and X.

Walker a nilhlist what a lovely thought. 

• Like 3