Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blinded by your religion.

jamesjr191

Clinging steadfast to any idea that excludes all other ideas is not a good idea. :)  Sherwood Anderson wrote a story in which he says, there are many Truths, but when you choose one truth as your truth, it becomes a lie, and you become grotesque. 

• Like 8

Ironically, there is a passage in the Christian bible regarding the "splinter in your brothers eye" that directly relates to this. 

Obviously, every person has strong convictions about their own worldview, whether it is political affiliation, religious beliefs, even one's favorite sports team. But rather than accept that others may have a different worldview, people seem to take it as gospel (pun intended!) that THEIR choices are rational and logical, while others are just mislead, misinformed, or just wrong.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, jamesjr191 said:

Forgot to mention, i see now her attempt at knowledge wasn't to better herself or the world in general. Seems she was only interested in finding fault in the various religions of the world to drop her "god" bomb on them.

Is this not the same with some others....finding faults in other religions?

I am not religious, but i can see the similarities in the ideas people have about religion.

The idea that their god is the only true god, the idea their beliefs are the only true beliefs because they have been given to them by ---- the only true god.

In different parts of the world, people have formed their versions of beliefs and over the centuries many have been killed if they chose not to follow that particular belief.

As each child is born within a relgious community, they are taught the belief and about god, hence the cycle continues. 

Although we now live in a more global world, the words of religion was spread around the world through travelling missionaries and preachers and armies.

For those who are true believers in their chosen religion, there is no other god, how can there be? How could there be more than one maker? How can there be different versions on their teachings, this would mean there could be fault or errors with theirs, and they will never have that.....hence some will go all out to convert others. 

They have a belief and some an agenda, that their beliefs are not questioned and the more people they can convert, the less people will objectively question or disagree with them

The more people who see it their way, the stronger they feel, but is this really not a weakness?

• Like 7

This is should be in Spirituality vs Skepticism.  

It took a world religion to really bring me round from my Baptist Bible Camp brainwashing. Don't give up on her, you never know she might figure it out. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I often wonder if it takes some form of narcissism or egotistical personality to be religions. This doesn't mean every religions person is an ego maniac, but how self centered do you have to be in order to believe that a god will answer your prayers?

I pray the gods know what they're doing without humans interfering with their decisions. This is real faith, I think. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamesjr191 said:

I dont often drop my thoughts here but a recent conversation is sticking in my head. Maybe i can leave it here and let it rest in peace. In a discussion recently a lady comments shes taking part in a world religion class. 'Good deal' im thinking since we live in such an overlapping society of religions and cultures, understanding or gaining some insight into anothers mindset and perspectives can be a very positive action.:D

As she speaks i can hear that she has gleaned some knowledge about various cultures of our world. On the other hand she keeps commenting on how they could possibly begin to believe in their religions. "Those myths are all a bunch of fairy tales and fables  no proof that there is anything to them at all".:huh: I really wanted to slap her upside the back of her head and shout "Thats the same way it is with your religion!" (Baptist) She states shes doing her best to show them 'Gods' path and disappointed they wont listen to her.

If i were a praying man i'd pray for her to have a little wisdom shed onto her closed mind. Nuff said.

What is somehow mysterious is that people today think only in terms of "proofs". They don't think in terms of possibilities and symbolism. What is also characheristic for this framework of mind is that it sees only one perspective of any sort of phenomena and thus it remains in a dark little box of almost complete ignorance. The very people that accuse spiritually oriented people of ignorance and narrow mindedness are in fact living in this closed little prison of thought, and that is very sad indeed.

Edited by Illyrius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Illyrius said:

What is somehow mysterious is that people today think only in terms of "proofs". They don't think in terms of possibilities and symbolism. What is also characheristic for this framework of mind is that it sees only one perspective of any sort of phenomena and thus it remains in a dark little box of almost complete ignorance. The very people that accuse spiritually oriented people of ignorance and close mindedness are in fact living in this closed little prison of thought, and that is very sad indeed.

I agree there are many prisons of self-sentenced inmates. Few discover the means of escape to freedom. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I often wonder if it takes some form of narcissism or egotistical personality to be religions. This doesn't mean every religions person is an ego maniac, but how self centered do you have to be in order to believe that a god will answer your prayers?

I see this as a weakness in people. I have seen it myself when someone should be getting off their butt and helping themselves, they pray instead.....sometimes they are lucky, most times they are not.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

The very people that accuse spiritually oriented people of ignorance and close mindedness are in fact living in this closed little prison of thought, and that is very sad indeed.

Extremely sad. Because staying there will result in a form of blindness that's worse than loosing the ability to see with the eyes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

What is somehow mysterious is that people today think only in terms of "proofs". They don't think in terms of possibilities and symbolism. What is also characheristic for this framework of mind is that it sees only one perspective of any sort of phenomena and thus it remains in a dark little box of almost complete ignorance. The very people that accuse spiritually oriented people of ignorance and narrow mindedness are in fact living in this closed little prison of thought, and that is very sad indeed.

Hi Illyrius

Did you bring your spoon to stir the pot?:D. Glad to see you back

jmccr8

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I agree there are many prisons of self-sentenced inmates. Few discover the means of escape to freedom. 

Hi StarMountainKid

How have you been? Haven't seen you for a while, good to see you here again. I hope all is well with you.

jmccr8

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Illyrius

Did you bring your spoon to stir the pot?:D. Glad to see you back

jmccr8

Thanks. :)

trump-meme-gallery-50-best-from-the-election-and-beyond-35r24gvjkep4htxpy45n2i.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi StarMountainKid

How have you been? Haven't seen you for a while, good to see you here again. I hope all is well with you.

jmccr8

Thanks, as well. Was good for me to get away for a while. Nice to be back. 

• Like 2

Just now, StarMountainKid said:

Thanks, as well. Was good for me to get away for a while. Nice to be back. 

Hi StarMountainKid

Yeah sometimes a little break is a good thing, I take mini breaks every now and the too. Will be looking forward to your posts.

jmccr8

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Extremely sad. Because staying there will result in a form of blindness that's worse than loosing the ability to see with the eyes.

Physician heal thyself.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

I pray the gods know what they're doing without humans interfering with their decisions. This is real faith, I think. 

Why even bother praying? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mr Guitar said:

One of the (many) things that steered me away from ANY religion as a young child was going to Sunday school and finding out that the church (Baptist) was sending missionaries out to sway others away their religion and toward the Baptist/Christian path. Even at that young age, I thought, "how dare they? - what gives them the right to go out and try to change a culture's ingrained belief system?" What would these Baptist folk do if that tribe from Vanuatu who worships airplanes came over and tried to convert them? It's no wonder so many missionaries were killed (boiled/eaten) in jungles throughout the world for  casting aspersions on the prevailing faith. And, I don't feel a bit sorry for them as they brought it on themselves; I'm of the opinion that you don't go where you're not wanted unless you're intending to become a martyr.

I understand this, and i agree with what is said here.

As an adition to forceful indoctrination i will add education and propaganda via all possible media outlets, and i will also say "How dare they?".

So sad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

Gods? What/whose gods? Do we even know any exist? The Romans and Greeks had tons of them - where are they? As I've said before, the whole idea of supreme beings was put forth by mankind to explain away bad stuff - lightning, floods, wind, earthquakes. Those early civilizations didn't know what caused those things so they had to blame it on and try to appease someone so it wouldn't happen again - pretty much didn't work, did it? Nowadays we know what causes these things and can, after a fashion, predict their onset and protect ourselves from them. Going forward, the more we learn about our surroundings/universe/planes of existence/ whatever,  the less we need anyone(but ourselves) to blame.

Edited by Mr Guitar
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, Mr Guitar said:

Gods? What/whose gods? Do we even know any exist? The Romans and Greeks had tons of them - where are they?

Gods of polytheism are beings of higher spiritual order and they all exists in the mind as well as outside of mind.

10 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

Gods of polytheism are beings of higher spiritual order and they all exists in the mind as well as outside of mind.

They're not in my mind and I don't see them anywhere else or any evidence to point to their existence. I want proof of the existence of any supreme/spiritual being or it's impossible for me to believe he/she/it/they exists. I guess faith is believing that something exists even without proof - my mind just doesn't work that way - I guess it's my engineering background - I wanna see the math!

• Like 5