Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blinded by your religion.

jamesjr191

1 minute ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Thanks for your honesty in your first line. 

As for your second line, and in my experiences, it depends on how strong one holds their belief. But then again, since those with the beliefs are the ones being attacked, (going from your post) I think there is already a grounded understanding and strength in how they believe, that no matter how someone else would come up and try to attack and convert, there is just no way. I feel this way with my belief, that I don't think anyone can sway me, no matter what. 

Take an example from a non-religious argument. In another section of the forums I'm involved in an argument relating to a free energy or overunity device someone has claimed will output more energy than is input. 

As a scientist I know from mountains of evidence that the first law of thermodynamics cannot be broken. Many people have pointed out the flaws in this device to the point the inventor has retreated into a shell and won't listen. Was what we done wrong pointing out the flaws and why the device won't work?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

What do you do when you're blinded by your atheism (lack of faith)?

How will you see if you've been blinded?

Doesn't matter, what gives anyone the right to force their beliefs on anyone.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Lack of belief (in god) is just one less thing to concern yourself with. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

How can a lack of something, blind you? 

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:
14 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Thanks for your honesty in your first line. 

As for your second line, and in my experiences, it depends on how strong one holds their belief. But then again, since those with the beliefs are the ones being attacked, (going from your post) I think there is already a grounded understanding and strength in how they believe, that no matter how someone else would come up and try to attack and convert, there is just no way. I feel this way with my belief, that I don't think anyone can sway me, no matter what. 

Take an example from a non-religious argument. In another section of the forums I'm involved in an argument relating to a free energy or overunity device someone has claimed will output more energy than is input. 

As a scientist I know from mountains of evidence that the first law of thermodynamics cannot be broken. Many people have pointed out the flaws in this device to the point the inventor has retreated into a shell and won't listen. Was what we done wrong pointing out the flaws and why the device won't work?

Well, I can understand that, if it's in the perspective of something you can prove, and have the background to prove it. (Ex. your field and how you use it to prove something.) But, I think it's two different things when discussing things like free energy, which has shown to be actual, right? Objective. I think faith, runs into the subjective category, and hence, what does one with faith, have over someone else, with a different type of faith? I think that is where it gets trippy in how one perceives and thinks they can correct the other? 

In the example of you and the objective, I would think you have the basis to correct. :) 

• Like 3

Considering that god can not be proven to exist or not exist. This means spirituality/religious beliefs are subjective. It all comes down to how those beliefs affect the believer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, danydandan said:

what gives anyone the right to force their beliefs on anyone.

That's what those poor souls who ended up in a Siberian gulag asked Stalin.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well, I can understand that, if it's in the perspective of something you can prove, and have the background to prove it. (Ex. your field and how you use it to prove something.) But, I think it's two different things when discussing things like free energy, which has shown to be actual, right? Objective. I think faith, runs into the subjective category, and hence, what does one with faith, have over someone else, with a different type of faith? I think that is where it gets trippy in how one perceives and thinks they can correct the other? 

In the example of you and the objective, I would think you have the basis to correct. :) 

That's what I was trying to point out in around about way. But no there is no such thing as free energy.

Faith without evidence is kinda blind in my opinion. However I would like to point out I'm a little blinded too as I believe in God but have no religious affiliation

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

That's what I was trying to point out in around about way. But no there is no such thing as free energy.

Faith without evidence is kinda blind in my opinion. However I would like to point out I'm a little blinded too as I believe in God but have no religious affiliation

So is this an agnostic belief or.....? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:
9 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well, I didn't know. :blush: And considering your field, I am thus educated by you. :yes:  :tu:  

Faith without evidence is kinda blind in my opinion. 

I think, that is what I was trying to say earlier. that Faith in doing things, like voting, should not be the only thing. (This was my reply to a question asked someone else, about using faith in doing things like voting) Granted, faith could play into it, but for me, and I with my own faith, it's not the only thing in doing things objective and substantial, like voting. So, it's also good to make sure you're informed as well. In my way of thinking, that is. :D  

However I would like to point out I'm a little blinded too as I believe in God but have no religious affiliation

Chalk this day up of a biggie for me in being a bit confused! :o  And, as someone who has her own belief system, and believing in a higher power in a general sense, and no religious affiliation in retrospect, I'm confused as to how one can be blinded in that situation. Is there a difference in having a religious affiliation to believe in God? 

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

So is this an agnostic belief or.....? 

No I was brought up Catholic, I'm Irish, but after reading most prominent religious texts years ago. I came to the realization, in my opinion, that most religions are twisted by man and are not the actual word of God.

I just believe in God because I believe no other reason. It's probably due to my upbringing

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

No I was brought up Catholic, I'm Irish, but after reading most prominent religious texts years ago. I came to the realization, in my opinion, that most religions are twisted by man and are not the actual word of God.

I just believe in God because I believe no other reason. It's probably due to my upbringing

Much appreciated, thanks.:tu:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The symptoms are:

For men;

Universe in meaningless

Life is a joke

Favourite band : Frankie goes to Nihilwood.

Favourite song: The power of ignorance.

For women;

Cuts hair on 5-10mm and dyes it in screaming purple or red.

Puts on huge glasses with a 10mm frame to emphasize intellect

Whines all the time how awful men are

Edited by Illyrius
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well, I didn't know. :blush: And considering your field, I am thus educated by you. :yes:  :tu:  

I think, that is what I was trying to say earlier. that Faith in doing things, like voting, should not be the only thing. (This was my reply to a question asked someone else, about using faith in doing things like voting) Granted, faith could play into it, but for me, and I with my own faith, it's not the only thing in doing things objective and substantial, like voting. So, it's also good to make sure you're informed as well. In my way of thinking, that is. :D  

Chalk this day up of a biggie for me in being a bit confused! :o  And, as someone who has her own belief system, and believing in a higher power in a general sense, and no religious affiliation in retrospect, I'm confused as to how one can be blinded in that situation. Is there a difference in having a religious affiliation to believe in God? 

I don't think you need a religious belief system to believe in a god.

I done my PhD and masters with a number of other people whom would believe in a god and would have left their religion behind.

• Like 3

If one can experience clearly and thoroughly this present moment, where is belief? Belief must exist then in the imagination, in thought. Can thought be an objective experience or is thought totally subjective? Subjective in that it is a desire separate from the objective world, and therefore has no relationship to the real present moment one is experiencing.

In other words, can thought touch something actual, something real separate from the objective experience?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

can thought touch something actual, something real separate from the objective experience?

No.

Thoughts are not real. It's an illusion to think that you're thinking. Thoughts are no different than when a computer switches on the lights in the bathroom. There is no such thing as mind, only a brain, which is just a biological machine that cannot think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No.

Thoughts are not real. It's an illusion to think that you're thinking. Thoughts are no different than when a computer switches on the lights in the bathroom. There is no such thing as mind, only a brain, which is just a biological machine that cannot think.

:passifier:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

No.

Then thought, which creates belief... So how can one's belief, based on thought, touch something real?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

If one can experience clearly and thoroughly this present moment, where is belief? Belief must exist then in the imagination, in thought. Can thought be an objective experience or is thought totally subjective? Subjective in that it is a desire separate from the objective world, and therefore has no relationship to the real present moment one is experiencing.

In other words, can thought touch something actual, something real separate from the objective experience?

In other words God is only in our minds? That very well may be the case.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No.

Any proof that thought isn't real?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Then thought, which creates belief... So how can one's belief, based on thought, touch something real?

Belief is not thought. Because thoughts are not real. We are just machines that are programmed to think that we're thinking. However, machines can think and artificially duplicate themselves (procreation). Which also means that their duplicates aren't real though. Because they are artificial. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

No.

If the brain, which is just a biological machine cannot think, then from where do thoughts originate?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Belief is not thought. Because thoughts are not real. We are just machines that are programmed to think that we're thinking. However, machines can think and artificially duplicate themselves (procreation). Which also means that their duplicates aren't real though. Because they are artificial. 

I think i do not think because thoughts are illusions and if i don't think that means that i am pseudodelusional meatbot. :tu:

Edited by Illyrius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Illyrius said:

I think i do not think because thoughts are illusions and if i don't think that means that i am pseudodelusional meatbot.

The question of thought as it relates to belief is important to consider, as belief is created by thought.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

The question of thought as it relates to belief is important to consider, as belief is created by thought.

Can't prove thoughts or disprove them so it's a moot point

1 minute ago, StarMountainKid said:

No. Belief is an illusion because meatbot machines cannot think. However, if you make the mistake to believe, then besides being unable to think, you will be blind too.

• Like 1