Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy 9, shoots sister 13, over video game

Still Waters

A 9-year-old boy is accused of shooting and killing his 13-year-old sister in the head during an argument over a video game. 

Sheriff Cecil Cantrell says deputies responded to the scene around 1 p.m. on Saturday. 

There they learned the boy grabbed a gun when the teenage girl would not give up the video game controller. Sheriff Cantrell says the bullet went through the girl's brain. 

http://www.wtva.com/content/news/Teen-shot-in-head-by-9-year-old-in-Monroe-County-477207783.html

White's brother wanted a video game controller in her possession and grabbed a gun when she refused, police said. It remains unclear how the firearm used in the shooting had been accessed.

The children's mother was in another room feeding other children lunch at the time of the incident, authorities said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/19/mississippi-boy-9-fatally-shoots-teen-sister-in-head-over-video-game-controller-police-say.html

The children's mother was in another room feeding other children lunch at the time of the incident,

My God in Heaven...that's brutal..

• Like 3

The mother was in another room with other children while these two children are in a room with a loaded gun! All the children need remover from her.

The fact that this 9 year old boy thought the solution to getting hold of the  controller is to grab hold of a gun and fire is extremely disturbing. Most normal children would squabble, this boy gets a gun!!

He needs some severe mental evaluation to see what he has been taught and to see what his understanding is of WRONG! ..if he has any at all.

Jeeeze! How many kids were in the house with a loaded gun lying about?

Absolutely no excuse for this one, her mentality needs evaluating too, too many kids and one gun too many!

• Like 6

the boy reached out for a 0.25 caliber handgun and shot his sister in the back of the head.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4832222/9-year-old-boy-fatally-shoots-teen-sister-in-the-head-over-video-game-controller-dispute/

It doesn't sound like the gun was very far away!

I read in one of the news reports that the police didn't know if the boy was aware of the danger of guns, I can't find where I read that now.

• Like 1

if he knew how to use one, and he used it to  "settle an argument" then he knew what gun was, and he knew he'l hurt his sister, he did not grab a broom, or a stick, or anything else, he went for the gun,  any 9 year old knows guns bring death, and police "didn't know if the boy was aware of the danger of guns" ????  sounds we need to hire smarter people as cops.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

if he knew how to use one, and he used it to  "settle an argument" then he knew what gun was, and he knew he'l hurt his sister,  any 9 year old knows guns bring death, and police "didn't know if the boy was aware of the danger of guns" ????  sounds we need to hire smarter people as cops.

I've found it now:

It's also unclear how much knowledge the boy had of the dangers of guns.

"He’s just 9. I assume he’s seen this on video games or TV," Cantrell said. "I don't know if he knew exactly what this would do. I can’t answer that. I do know it’s a tragedy."

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2018/03/18/video-game-argument-shooting/436364002/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

I've found it now:

ask any 9 years old boy what gun is and what it does, everyone will tell you, so i do not believe for a second he was not aware of dangers of guns,  

i wonder who the parents are, why cops did not charge parents right away, as they normally  would in  cases like that, and why are they trying to make it look like it was an accident.  we'll find out soon enough

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

It doesn't sound like the gun was very far away!

I read in one of the news reports that the police didn't know if the boy was aware of the danger of guns, I can't find where I read that now.

He would have been aware it could harm....hence why he reached for the gun instead of  just throwing a hissy fit or even fighting her for it.

The gun was the quick solution....and he knew it. He very likely saw on one of his video games the quick solution guns bring. 

Wonder what stockpile of video games they had? Grand theft auto, The hitman..etc etc etc.

Whether he knew it was loaded, is another thing and this is where the parents are to blame,  having a gun lying about, loaded or not! 

I assume there is a father somewhere....or was she a single mother with loads of kids and .... a loaded gun.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Sounds like there was a round already in the chamber. I would think a 9 year old would have difficulty cocking a hammer of a revolver or the slide of an semiauto.

This is the parents fault for allowing access to the firearm. They should be charged and have jail time but it probably won't happen. Was this the home of a drug dealer that kept a loaded ready to fire weapon close by?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, UFOwatcher said:

Sounds like there was a round already in the chamber. I would think a 9 year old would have difficulty cocking a hammer of a revolver or the slide of an semiauto.

This is the parents fault for allowing access to the firearm. They should be charged and have jail time but it probably won't happen. Was this the home of a drug dealer that kept a loaded ready to fire weapon close by?

Do we know yet if the.gun was legal...if it was, what precausions are made for allowing a gun to be owned where the household are full of children? I mean is it just taken on trust if the parents say it will be locked away?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

The mother was in another room with other children while these two children are in a room with a loaded gun! All the children need remover from her.

The fact that this 9 year old boy thought the solution to getting hold of the  controller is to grab hold of a gun and fire is extremely disturbing. Most normal children would squabble, this boy gets a gun!!

He needs some severe mental evaluation to see what he has been taught and to see what his understanding is of WRONG! ..if he has any at all.

Jeeeze! How many kids were in the house with a loaded gun lying about?

Absolutely no excuse for this one, her mentality needs evaluating too, too many kids and one gun too many!

When I was reading about this earlier, I kept thinking of my kids. They just happen to be boy, four years younger than the girl. (They're adults now.) But I do remember when they were the ages of the kids in the article, they too fought over things, including the controller. :o (oh man, there really is or was, hissy fits that went on on who actually owned one particular one.) Anyways, despite my hubby being in the military, no matter where we lived, there was never any gun in the house. 

I actually try to remember how I was during these situations. Granted, they were my only two, but at those ages, I was in another room. Though, when hearing them at it again, I did come running into their room to try to defuse it. Though, I think, as parents, we try to teach them how to handle situations like this. Could either of them could have reached for something that could harm the other? I don't remember them doing that. So, even though they did squabble, yell, and get into hissy fits, they didn't resort to violence. 

I do agree, the parenting aspect wasn't in the negative in this. In my feeling, that is. How was it, that the boy felt he needed to reach for the gun to deal with this? And yes, I agree with various posters here, how is it he knew? Why was a gun so readily to him? I grew up, where I remember my father did own some guns, rifles I believe. But, they were locked up high, and I don't think any of us knew how to get to them. And if I remember correctly, he ended up selling them. I grew up with four siblings, (think of all the brawls and the like I grew up to. ;) ) I don't think any of us really felt the need to resort to violence to each other. 

Though, I must admit, there was a big bay window I kind of .................... hurt......................... but, I learned my lesson!!!! (Oh yes I did!! :o:o:o ) 

Now, when I read one particular article, it said the girl was wounded and in the hospital. I don't know if it got updated, I hope she recovers. Though, it was in the brain, correct? I don't know how her life is going to be from now on. 

1 hour ago, aztek said:
1 hour ago, UFOwatcher said:

Was this the home of a drug dealer that kept a loaded ready to fire weapon close by?

or a cop

If cops did have them in the own, would they readily have them accessible. I would think they, of all people, would have them safely locked away or something close to that, where they're not readily accessible to kids. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Now, when I read one particular article, it said the girl was wounded and in the hospital. I don't know if it got updated, I hope she recovers. Though, it was in the brain, correct? I don't know how her life is going to be from now on. 

She died later in hospital, it's in the links I've been posting.

• Like 1

Just now, Stubbly_Dooright said:

If cops did have them in the own, would they readily have them accessible. I would think they, of all people, would have them safely locked away or something close to that, where they're not readily accessible to kids. 

they  of all people never get punished for their mistakes, so that creates the attitude.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Still Waters said:
24 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

She died later in hospital, it's in the links I've been posting.

:(  :(  :(  :(  :no:  

I read about this, early this morning, so at the time I read she was in the hospital and it wasn't clear how her status was. Thank you for the update. 

9 minutes ago, aztek said:
24 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

they  of all people never get punished for their mistakes, so that creates the attitude.

I guess, you answered my question............. or my point. *shrugs* 

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
To clarify my response.
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Do we know yet if the.gun was legal...if it was, what precausions are made for allowing a gun to be owned where the household are full of children? I mean is it just taken on trust if the parents say it will be locked away?

it does not really matter in this case,. legal or not, you make sure no one who is not supposed to can grab it.  especially with illegal gun, if it goes off more questions, more charges, more problems,  unless of course getting into troubles for your negligence is not something you ever worried

• Like 2

More details coming through:

Dijonae White, 14, was the victim of the shooting. Initial reports from authorities stated she was 13, but Coroner Alan Gurley said she was born in September 2003.

Cantrell said police believe the brother went to another room and retrieved a gun and returned to shoot his sister in the back of the head with a .25 caliber handgun, and that the bullet went through her brain. 

Authorities don't yet know how the child had access to the weapon they say he used to shoot his sister, but authorities said they believe the weapon belonged to the mother's live in boyfriend.

In Mississippi there is currently no law that holds an adult responsible when children have access to weapons that are not secured. Cantrell said at this point it's just not clear whether there will be charges on the adults in the home, or on the 9-year-old alleged shooter.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2018/03/19/video-game-fatal-shooting-victim-identified/437908002/

2 minutes ago, aztek said:
1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

it does not really matter in this case,. legal or not, you make sure no one who is not supposed to can grab it.  especially with illegal gun, if it goes off more questions, more charges, more problems,  unless of course getting into troubles for your negligence is not something you ever worried

Though I do believe freetoroam's questions are sound, I agree, it's all in how the house hold is ran. How is it, that the boy knew where it was and how to use it? 

• Like 1

Just now, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Though I do believe freetoroam's questions are sound, I agree, it's all in how the house hold is ran. How is it, that the boy knew where it was and how to use it? 

we do not know details yet,. we do know it was a .25cal, that would make it very a small pistol, those kinds are usually owned by females, and carried in their bags\clutches.. maybe he got it from there.  there was a case years ago when a kid who was sitting in a shooing cart, pulled one from mothers bag while they were doing shopping. and shot her in the store. it was a  3-4 years old kid. but i could be something else we do not know , all we know she failed at safekeeping her firearm, that is something even more important than training how you use it. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, aztek said:

But it does matter...my point is what questions are asked when someone applies for a gun, does it get asked if there are children in the household and is it on trust that the parents will be responsible enough to lock them away.( the guns, not the kids) ? We have seen a few cases now where teenagers have had access to the guns in the household....it seems to be a regular thing.

As for the illegal guns, i think you have a point. I think those with illegal guns would be more responsible with keeping them away from their children....most if not all cases where a child has got hold of a gun in the home....the guns were legal.

Are there checks made when a household with children applies to buy a gun....does anyone go round and spot check or are once the guns bought and the shop has its money, the responsibility is all down to the parent....? If that is the case, then this mother HAS to go to jail???

Bare with me aztec, you know i am not an American gun owner...am not a gun owner at all.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

More details coming through:

The boy went to nother room....then he knew where the gun was kept, and knew it was accessible. Both mother and boyfriend need locking up and for the safety of the children, they need to go to stable homes. 

This sounds like one disfunctional.and irresponsible household!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aztek said:
23 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

we do not know details yet,. we do know it was a .25cal, that would make it very a small pistol, those kinds are usually owned by females, and carried in their bags\clutches.. maybe he got it from there.  there was a case years ago when a kid who was sitting in a shooing cart, pulled one from mothers bag while they were doing shopping. and shot her in the store. it was a  3-4 years old kid. but i could be something else we do not know , all we know she failed at safekeeping her firearm, that is something even more important than training how you use it. 

I cannot disagree with that. In the end, it's also in how your parent. I think that is very neglective of her to have that gun so close to her child like that. (and I think I remember reading about that case.) Especially, when you turn your back on a child even for a moment. In one place I worked, I remember seeing a mother with her child in the shopping carriage child seat, in the department next to mine, and as I turned to concentrate on my department, I heard a sound a parent knows to well. The sound of a kid's head hitting solid ground. That didn't take long, for the mother to glance at shoes, for her child to crawl out and fall from a carriage. Fortunately, the child, despite a big bump on his head, was alright. Nothing really series. 

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

But it does matter...my point is what questions are asked when someone applies for a gun, does it get asked if there are children in the household and is it on trust that the parents will be responsible enough to lock them away.( the guns, not the kids) ? We have seen a few cases now where teenagers have had access to the guns in the household....it seems to be a regular thing.

I agree with you on this. I think these should be questions that should be asked. 

• Like 2