Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Boy 9, shoots sister 13, over video game

37 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

aztek
Posted (edited)
Just now, freetoroam said:

But it does matter...my point is what questions are asked when someone applies for a gun, does it get asked if there are children in the household and is it on trust that the parents will be responsible enough to lock them away.( the guns, not the kids) ?

depends on state and even city, some do ask some require safe if certain number of guns is in possession, others do not need permits. 

another thing, just because someone is asked does not mean they will actually do what they say they would.  otoh millions of gun owners do not need to be asked, they keep their guns safe without any regulations, we only have about 700-800 accidents like this every year, (out of 50M gun owners we know about) and not all accidents happen with legal guns.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
freetoroam
1 hour ago, aztek said:

depends on state and even city, some do ask some require safe if certain number of guns is in possession, others do not need permits. 

another thing, just because someone is asked does not mean they will actually do what they say they would.  otoh millions of gun owners do not need to be asked, they keep their guns safe without any regulations, we only have about 700-800 accidents like this every year, (out of 50M gun owners we know about) and not all accidents happen with legal guns.

Out of the 700 to 800 "accidents?" how many of those involved children getting hold of their parents gun or / and how many of those were teenagers going on a shooting spree with guns they were either allowed to own or belonged to the household? So although it is 'only! 700-800' accidents? how many were wounded or killed due to access to a legally owned gun by a minor or teenager? 

The case here is one out of those 700-800 and although it is one out of the 50m gun owners, like all the other 'accidents' by children, it is still one more too many and as always, questions are asked "how the heck could this happen"? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
Just now, freetoroam said:

Out of the 700 to 800 "accidents?" how many of those involved children getting hold of their parents gun or / and how many of those were teenagers going on a shooting spree with guns they were either allowed to own or belonged to the household? So although it is 'only! 700-800' accidents? how many were wounded or killed due to access to a legally owned gun by a minor or teenager? 

The case here is one out of those 700-800 and although it is one out of the 50m gun owners, like all the other 'accidents' by children, it is still one more too many and as always, questions are asked "how the heck could this happen"? 

 

there is no brake up on accident stats, so your guess as good as mine here, but i'd say less than half are accidents where kids got  guns they were not supposed to, every time it happens it is all over news here so such accidents are pretty rare, the rest is mishandling a gun. police actually leads that stats per capita. so training is not an issue here.

btw, the bolded part  would not be classified as an accident. it is an intentional act. when i say 700-800 i only count fatal accidents.

 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
11 minutes ago, aztek said:

btw, the bolded part  would not be classified as an accident. it is an intentional act. when i say 700-800 i only count fatal accidents.

 

The bold part are intentional acts by teenagers who managed to get access to their parents gun or even were allowed to own their own (Cruz) so we have the 700-800 accidents and then we have the intentional, although the shooter may be 1 or 2, the victims are much more.

So i go back to this...were they in the states which do check and was this story in a state which asks? 

1 hour ago, aztek said:

depends on state and even city, some do ask some require safe if certain number of guns is in possession, others do not need permits.

I know it is not possible for every household to be checked...in this case i find it hard to believe this mother did not know her live in boyfriend did not have a gun,  (just incase she comes out with that excuse)...her 9 year old son knee, .so it seems pretty clear she was fully aware, but was not responsible enough to put her childrens safety first. I can only come to the conclusion that serious prison time should give her the years she needs to reflect on her lack of responsible parenting which resulted in the death of her daughter. 

Jeeze!!! This 9 year old boy did not even need peer pressure from a gang, he got it all he needed to know about where to find and use a gun from home....note i did not put 'the safety' of his home.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

yea pretty much  a big fk up by gun owner whoever it maybe, thou since we are talking about .25cal pistol i think more likely than not it was hers.  but anything is possible. 

hopefully will have more details later

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats

This is terrible, in fact it’s worse than terrible because it was EASILY preventable. It’s also the prime example of what I think contributes to the rise in shooting -people thinking guns are what you use to solve your problems. Where did that child learn that? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

This is terrible, in fact it’s worse than terrible because it was EASILY preventable. It’s also the prime example of what I think contributes to the rise in shooting -people thinking guns are what you use to solve your problems. Where did that child learn that? 

and i agree, nothing teaches it better than violent tv shows and games, relations with other kids play a role too, maybe his older sister gave him hell, abused him, (we only know a small part, that she would not give him  the controller, how their relations were other times we do not know, )  some siblings do that, so he took mothers or someones gun, and did what they do in video games and movies.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
30 minutes ago, aztek said:

yea pretty much  a big fk up by gun owner whoever it maybe, thou since we are talking about .25cal pistol i think more likely than not it was hers.  but anything is possible. 

hopefully will have more details later

 

 

From SW earlier post, it appears it was not hers

Quote

Authorities don't know how the child had access to the weapon they say he used to shoot his sister, but authorities said they believe the weapon belonged to the mother's live-in boyfriend.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2018/03/19/video-game-fatal-shooting-victim-identified/437908002/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
Just now, freetoroam said:

From SW earlier post, it appears it was not hers

 

then her boyfriend is an idiot  and deserves few years in prison at very least. 

another thing, you live with a woman who has 9 and 13 years old and others even younger, you know kids are curious, and will always find anything you hide, and you keep the gun so 9 years old can go and grab it?   if i was in his place i would do a lot more to make sure  kids can't get it,   a handgun fingerprint safe cost less than a crappy gun.  no excuse not to do what needed to make sure gun is not taken by a kid,  and that comes from someone who is extremely pro gun,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

hell we even lock up household chemicals,  anything that is even a bit corrosive, or poisons,  we have kids and pets at home., my gun safe has only few guns the rest is household chemicals, wife's  jewelry, documents, ....etc  gun safes are useful for more than just guns, 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
Quote

The boy told deputies he used a .25-caliber handgun that was kept in a nightstand in his mother’s bedroom. The gun is registered to his mother’s live-in boyfriend, Cantrell said. It wasn’t clear if the owner of the handgun will face charges, according to the sheriff.

Cantrell said the boy was in his mother’s custody on Monday.

“I think he understands, but at the same time, he don’t understand. I mean, he’s 9 years old. They play these video games where people get shot and killed and then they hit the reset button and everyone’s fine. I guess he was upset. I don’t know.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/19/teen-dies-after-brother-allegedly-shoots-her-over-video-game-fight/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

very bad idea to keep gun there loaded with safety off, even with no kids in the house.  my father's friend used to do  that, then 1 day he was looking for something in the drawer and it fired, no one got hurt, but  he never did that again, he got fingerprint safe and bolted it to side of a night stand, takes 1 sec to open, no one but him can open it,  i did the same in my home after seeing his set up.  i only keep 1 handgun there, rifle is in big safe with chemicals and  other stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.