Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schwarzenegger calls for warning labels

OverSword

I am extremely concerned about all of the plastic that is unnecessarily used by us.  Straws, disposable plastic tableware, single use plastic bottles.  I truly feel that we need to do something about the amount of toxic plastic we bring into our environment every day, so although I'm not for banning legos I do believe that people should be made to think more about the hazard that they potentially bring into our environment.  Arnold Shwarzenegger believes there should be warning labels.  How about you?

At South by Southwest this week, actor and former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger argued that every single product made using fossil fuels should come with a warning label due to climate change. He suggested that oil companies are killing people by abetting the burning of fossil fuels, and that all products using fossil fuels should be marked as associated with hazards like tobacco.

“We’re going to go after them, and we’re going to be in there like an Alabama tick," Schwarzenegger said. "Because to me it’s absolutely irresponsible to know that your product is killing people and not have a warning label on it, like tobacco. Every gas station on it, every car should have a warning label on it, every product that has fossil fuels should have a warning label on it.”

Link

• Like 7

I avoid using or consuming anything out of plastic. I actually hunted down some vintage glassware from a thrift shop to equip my camper.

• Like 6

i do believe we need to rethink disposable containers,  as far as what they are made of, and slowly we see more biodegradable plastic products coming out,  several companies make dog poop bags out of biodegradable plastic,  i use those a lot, always had dogs always cleaned up poop.  we could replace plastic bottles with boxes like we have for milk, and OJ. 

i do not believe fort a second labels will do anything,

• Like 2

All I got to say is Shwarzenegger has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

An insanely high amount of stuff is made from fossil fuels.  Some of the lesser known things made from fossil fuels include asphalt, most rubber products since a lot is made from synthetic rubber instead of from rubber trees, anything that uses paraffin wax, fertilizers, various chemical products used in countless industries.  If I had my book from the class I took on oil refining I could probably list more then what I remember off the top of my head.

For better or worse an insane amount of stuff is built on fossil fuels and trying to stick warning labels on anything that uses fossil fuels would require sticking a warning label probably on probably 95% of all items.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

All I got to say is Shwarzenegger has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

An insanely high amount of stuff is made from fossil fuels.  Some of the lesser known things made from fossil fuels include asphalt, most rubber products since a lot is made from synthetic rubber instead of from rubber trees, anything that uses paraffin wax, fertilizers, various chemical products used in countless industries.  If I had my book from the class I took on oil refining I could probably list more then what I remember off the top of my head.

For better or worse an insane amount of stuff is built on fossil fuels and trying to stick warning labels on anything that uses fossil fuels would require sticking a warning label probably on probably 95% of all items.

I agree, but it would be a good idea to educate people more about the things that are toxic to the environment that could be made in more eco-friendly ways and materials.

• Like 7

Just now, OverSword said:

I agree, but it would be a good idea to educate people more about the things that are toxic to the environment that could be made in more eco-friendly ways and materials.

Educating people is always a good thing, but how toxic stuff is to the environment is debatable. 

To use plastic for example, the issue is less that turning fossil fuels into plastic is bad for the environment, honestly refining oil and natural gas has very little impact on the environment, then it is the specific plastic that is made.  It would be very easy to change the plastic that is made to something more environmentally friendly but the companies buying it don't want that.  For a more specific example there are plastic water bottles, besides from taking insanely long to degrade they also leach chemicals into the liquid they hold over time but the companies buying them want a clear, light weight, and durable plastic and have zero care if it takes insanely long to break down and leaches chemicals.

The issue is less with making the items from fossil fuels then pressuring pressuring the companies to use safer alternatives made from the same fossil fuels.

• Like 1

Just now, DarkHunter said:

Educating people is always a good thing, but how toxic stuff is to the environment is debatable. 

i agree it is a very important thing,  but labels do not do it,. what we need to do imo, we need to make sure all cruise liners go thru pacific garbage pile, it 's as big as continent, that may do something when they see garbage floating as far as they could see,  or have planes drop altitude when they fly over that continent of garbage, so passengers can see it,  that will make some think, but labels not really.. who reads labels anyway, nor showing it on tv will make much difference, it has to be seen in person to realize amount of pollution we create

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

i agree it is a very important thing,  but labels do not do it,. what we need to do imo, we need to make sure all cruise liners go thru pacific garbage pile, it 's as big as continent, that may do something when they see garbage floating as far as they could see,  that will make some think, but labels not really.. who reads labels anyway

I'm more surprised no one has started mining it yet, with that much plastic just floating it would be easy to collect.  Recycled plastic is at approximately $50 a ton and there is estimated to be 150 million tons of plastic in the ocean so $7.5 billion dollars is just floating in the ocean.

• Like 4

Just now, DarkHunter said:

I'm more surprised no one has started mining it yet, with that much plastic just floating it would be easy to collect.  Recycled plastic is at approximately $50 a ton and there is estimated to be 150 million tons of plastic in the ocean so $7.5 billion dollars is just floating in the ocean.

one day it will be, as soon as it becomes profitable., you'll see it done.  

a lot harder will be to clean ocean floor, which is full of garbage everywhere. currents take garbage all over the world, when we see floating is just a tip of the iceberg.

that fktard soros instead of trying to destroy america should have spent his billions clean up the oceans.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

i agree it is a very important thing,  but labels do not do it,. what we need to do imo, we need to make sure all cruise liners go thru pacific garbage pile, it 's as big as continent, that may do something when they see garbage floating as far as they could see,  or have planes drop altitude when they fly over that continent of garbage, so passengers can see it,  that will make some think, but labels not really.. who reads labels anyway, nor showing it on tv will make much difference, it has to be seen in person to realize amount of pollution we create

I don't think labels will do much, but at least it is a start.    The convenience of plastic may be too much to overcome.   The cost too.   Anyone can go to the local store or gas station and pick up a 24 pack of water in plastic bottles for a couple bucks.   It's too easy.   Having people over for a BBQ?   Plastic forks, spoons and knives is cheap and easy.   No washing dishes after.  Even the plastic grocery bags are too convenient.   Perfect for small trash cans.     

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

I don't think labels will do much, but at least it is a start.    The convenience of plastic may be too much to overcome.   The cost too.   Anyone can go to the local store or gas station and pick up a 24 pack of water in plastic bottles for a couple bucks.   It's too easy.   Having people over for a BBQ?   Plastic forks, spoons and knives is cheap and easy.   No washing dishes after.  Even the plastic grocery bags are too convenient.   Perfect for small trash cans.     

i know it is convenient, so i'm not even hinting at getting rid of it,   we just need to rethink from what and how we make it,.  that is only because we can't get our sht together and dispose\recycle properly, if we did we'd have a lot less trash, a lot less. it would not be an issue, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, aztek said:

i know it is convenient, so i'm not even hinting at getting rid of it,   we just need to rethink from what and how we make it,.  that is only because we can't get our sht together and dispose\recycle properly, if we did we'd have a lot less trash, a lot less. it would not be an issue, 

So true.  After it became the law to recycle in the city I live in I started sorting trash, compost and recycling.  85% of what I take out is recyclable and compostable.  I take actual trash out of my apartment about once every two weeks.

• Like 3

Just now, OverSword said:

So true.  After it became the law to recycle in the city I live in I started sorting trash, compost and recycling.  85% of what I take out is recyclable and compostable.  I take actual trash out of my apartment about once every two weeks.

it is law in some places, not everywhere in usa,  in our NYC properties at work we make sure we recycle everything properly, paper\batteries\plastci\cans.... but in long island recycling is not a law, so everything gets in one bin and all goes to  land field,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

I’m down. Label them all. While we are right there label all gmo’s as well. And make people read the incerts the doctors get with vaccines before they take the stab. A informed public is a good thing. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, seanjo said:

If labeling is part of an overall education system, then I could get on board...but it doesn't stop people smoking.

Smoking is addiction which is biological and complex. The labeling doesn't greatly influence the addicted smoker but can have a positive effect on first timers wanting to pick up the habit.

Also Im all for labeling everything toxic to our enviorment plastics included. Its about influencing and educating younger people. Us older folk have been the ones causing the catastrophe but we can change that by informing younger generations. Millenials are more savvy and ambitious now of whats happening then we ever were at that age and educating them accordingly can have a positive impact. 

Edited by khol
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, OverSword said:

I am extremely concerned about all of the plastic that is unnecessarily used by us.

I am as well. I just recently stopped someone from microwaving food in disposable plastic containers...it's an epidemic, and many don't even fathom it.

• Like 4

Would those be plastic labels, printed with petroleum based ink and stuck on with petroleum based glue?  Transported in trucks to factories all over the country?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Big Jim said:

Would those be plastic labels, printed with petroleum based ink and stuck on with petroleum based glue?  Transported in trucks to factories all over the country?

no kidding   good example how plastic and its base ingredients are literally everywhere

why not just mold message into product, or print it along with design, same way cigarette packs have warnings, no extra labels, no glue, no energy wasted

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aztek said:

why not just mold message into product, or print it along with design, same way cigarette packs have warnings, no extra labels, no glue, no energy wasted

Good point, but aside from that not being possible with all products, it can't be applied to products already in stock.  The main flaw is in the idea of labels to begin with.  It won't change anything except to add more bureaucracy and regulations.  Just like with smoking and other labels they will be almost universally ignored.  They may induce guilt in some people but they won't change usage patterns.  If I'm going through a drive thru and they give me a plastic fork, regardless of my political leanings I have two choices:  use the fork or use my fingers and end up wearing half my lunch.  It's the same for most other products.  There's often no alternative or at least none that are practical and that will be widely adopted.  Do you want a label on your shoes?  Your dashboard?  Your keyboard?  What will you use instead? (the generic you, not you.)  But if it becomes law there will have to be fees and taxes to support it.  Agents to monitor compliance.  Fines for scofflaws and courts to adjudicate the accused.  Where is the advantage?

What did you say? I cannot read the internet because of this label across my screen warning of the dangers of eyestrain.

Ouch! Typing this made my carpel tunnel flare up. There needs to be a label added across keyboards warning of the danger!

I think I'll call Arnold and thank him for looking out for us... Oh wait, the label on my phone warns of possible brain damage from EMF. I'll write a letter instead. Oh wait, the label on the note pad asks I consider using electronic communications instead because of deforestation.

Where does it end?

• Like 1

Pacific plastic dump far larger than feared: study

The vast dump of plastic waste swirling in the Pacific ocean is now bigger than France, Germany and Spain combined -- far larger than previously feared -- and is growing rapidly, a study published Thursday warned.

They found that it now stretches 1.6 million square kilometres and, they warn, it's growing.

"The inflow of plastic to the patch continues to exceed the outflow," Lebreton said.

What's more, the scale of the largest plastic dump on the planet literally only scratches the surface of the problem.

"Levels of plastic pollution in deep water layers and seafloor below the GPGP remain unknown," the study warned.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pacific-plastic-dump-far-larger-feared-study-140525448.html