Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New study hints at 'Oumuamua's origins

UM-Bot

Based on this article, I wonder if there is anything left over from our Solar system whizzing through a Solar system elsewhere and getting the same interest..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, seanjo said:

The Solar system is such a minutely small target, cosmologically speaking, it's a wonder anything passes through from other systems.

Actually the universe has so many objects like 'Oumuamua it's a wonder we haven't seen one before.

It is believed that a cubic parsec of space contains around a trillion such objects, with up to 10,000 passing within the orbit of Neptune at an given time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Based on this article, I wonder if there is anything left over from our Solar system whizzing through a Solar system elsewhere and getting the same interest..

Short answer: yes (although no one can be sure about the interest it is getting).

Although most interstellar objects originating from our solar system would probably come from the Oort clod rather than the inner solar system. 

34 minutes ago, Nzo said:

Looks like 100% conjecture from my point of view. I don't see any solid evidence for anything.

Would you like to provide some evidence for your statement or is it just 100% conjecture from you?

I think there will be objects like this whizzing throughout the universe, it is just that we happened to catch sight of this one and were enthralled by it's unusual shape. Fascinating what forces must have been at play to create such a shape, that is if it wasn't part of a much larger more familiar looking interstellar body and this is almost like a "shard" that has broken away....

12 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Would you like to provide some evidence for your statement or is it just 100% conjecture from you?

Well, if there is no concrete evidence/data/analysis that the study uses therefore it is just opinion. Look I can do it too... My OPINION is that that large asteroid is really just some alien's universal art exhibit. Its called 'The Shard'. Do I have proof of it, no. But it seems that today as long as you use the right words, like Study or research etc. all of a sudden it instantly gains credibility. In fact I believe Slashdot had something on how a lot more research today is bogus because its unreproducible  and basically falls through the cracks.

I suggest whomever funded this study get their money back and if it was government grant money DEFINITELY GET IT BACK! Science is not opinion it is hypothesis which is backed by experimentation and or observation. Which yield facts that are reproducible. And the fact is, this study is 100% bull excrement.

• Like 1