Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronomers Rethink Quasar Environment

Waspie_Dwarf

Double or Nothing: Astronomers Rethink Quasar Environment

Using Hyper Suprime-Cam (HSC) mounted on the Subaru Telescope, astronomers have identified nearly 200 "protoclusters," the progenitors of galaxy clusters, in the early Universe, about 12 billion years ago, about ten times more than previously known. They also found that quasars don't tend to reside in protoclusters; but if there is one quasar in a protocluster, there is likely a second nearby. This result raises doubts about the relation between protoclusters and quasars.

In the Universe, galaxies are not distributed uniformly. There are some places, known as clusters, where dozens or hundreds of galaxies are found close together. Other galaxies are isolated. To determine how and why clusters formed, it is critical to investigate not only mature galaxy clusters as seen in the present Universe but also observe protoclusters, galaxy clusters in the process of forming.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Subaru Telescope

• Like 1

So, then, it is possible that quasars sort of break up these huge proto-clusters then? Maybe that is a by-product of their being, if not what they do?

47 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

So, then, it is possible that quasars sort of break up these huge proto-clusters then? Maybe that is a by-product of their being, if not what they do?

Quasars are highly energetic (and so extremely bright) young galaxies. Because they are so bright they can be detected at great distance and therefore, due to the finite speed of light, a long time ago.

These quasars are being used to map the structure of the protoclusters as they are part of them. They are not "doing anything" as such.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Quasars are highly energetic (and so extremely bright) young galaxies. Because they are so bright they can be detected at great distance and therefore, due to the finite speed of light, a long time ago.

These quasars are being used to map the structure of the protoclusters as they are part of them. They are not "doing anything" as such.

Yes Sir, I was just impressed when it spoke about them being found now in under developed regions more commonly as if they quell formation and it occurred to me their placement in that picture and diagram would be natural to sort of break it up if that was so into smaller active regions. It was just me imagining it in another few million years with their spots depressed and the further ones still going strong and expanding onward. 

I have read how they are great for dating because of their brilliance. This just made me think of them a bit differently is all.