Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroids & comets shower Mars with organics

Waspie_Dwarf

Asteroids and comets shower Mars with organics

Asteroids and comets appear to be a much more important supplier of organic molecules on Mars than expected. Until now, astronomers assumed that the organics on Mars mainly came from dust particles from space. Now, computer simulations by an international team of researchers led by Dutch astronomers indicate that one third of the material comes from asteroids and comets. The findings have been accepted for publication in the scientific journal Icarus.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Nederlandse Onderzoekschool voor Astronomie (NOVA)

• Like 2

this just keeps getting more interesting :). It might be we find alien life in a microbe which might not even be Martian it turns out. Man I can't wait for us to get a few decades further along!

15 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

It might be we find alien life in a microbe which might not even be Martian it turns out.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the word "organic" in this context has anything to do with life. In chemistry an organic molecule is simply one which contains carbon, whether from life or not.

It is a huge jump, with no supporting evidence as yet, to go from "organic molecules" to "microbes".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the word "organic" in this context has anything to do with life. In chemistry an organic molecule is simply one which contains carbon, whether from life or not.

It is a huge jump, with no supporting evidence as yet, to go from "organic molecules" to "microbes".

I realize that now, reading what you say and pondering it.

I suppose it would be wiser for me to assume the vacuum of space precludes anything surviving on an asteroid or comet that would hit a planet anyway. No microbes, nothing, right?