Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What’s in the window?

Ib1992

My wife & I were staying at our families home in Gainesville, GA. We had several instances occur during a 72 hour stay. On the night of the attached photo, we were abnormally frustrated with one another. We are both usually very calm and rarely bicker. I walked outside to get some air, within several minutes of being away from the house I didn’t have the same frustrated feelings as I did while I was in the house. Upon walking back to the front door, I found that the door was locked and I was unable to come back inside. My wife came back to the door frustrated that I had managed to lock myself out of the home at 12 A.M. and of course I was baffled as I was on the doorstep the entire time and did not witness anyone locking the door. The owner of the house also recalled several instances where he was woken up by the feeling of someone sitting on the bed in the middle of the night.. During our stay our nephew took a nap, and when his mother went to check on him all of the frames in the room were askew after the child himself mentioned ghosts multiple times during our stay. Finally...the photo. While my wife & I were laying on an air mattress in the living room, she couldn’t shake the feeling of something watching her. She grabbed her phone and snapped the photo you see. Please let us know your thoughts, especially those with previous experience analyzing unexplainable photos.
... weird or what!  

B241B8FB-E5A9-44AF-84C2-5912F9A6FB00.jpeg

You mean the blotch that looks like a grinning demon with a huge afro if you let your imagination run wild for a bit, right? 

That's Paredolia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
The effect is aided by the picture being of a grainy, blotchy quality.

It might be nothing at all and just an effect of the camera quality, or it might something in front of the window such as a plant, a piece of furniture, garden tool leaned against the window, a street sign (it really looks like a street sign actually), something attached to the other house(?) you see in the window, something that's reflected in the window, or the outline of something in the distance etc, etc etc,

• Like 2

Not really seeing anything, I'm sorry.  Why not take another shot when that area outside the window is well lit, eg daytime..?  It needs to be from exactly the same location and angle, so we can determine what was out there and how it might look when darkened?

As for all that grain and stuff, it's what happens when low end sensors run out of light, made worse by jpeg compression/quantisation artifacts.  In other words, false detail.  Given that our brains love to find vague patterns and shapes, paredolia is inevitable.. 

But hey, it's a good way to distract from arguments/frustrations!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

You mean the blotch that looks like a grinning demon with a huge afro if you let your imagination run wild for a bit, right? 

That's Paredolia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
The effect is aided by the picture being of a grainy, blotchy quality.

It might be nothing at all and just an effect of the camera quality, or it might something in front of the window such as a plant, a piece of furniture, garden tool leaned against the window, a street sign (it really looks like a street sign actually), something attached to the other house(?) you see in the window, something that's reflected in the window, or the outline of something in the distance etc, etc etc,

We initially thought it was something similar to what you explained. But this is a window to the back yard which backs up to the woods. There is nothing in the yard that is close enough to have created some sort of distortion. I have attached another photo (taken several minutes after the original) that shows how we normally saw the reflection. 

Edited by Saru
Image removed as it contains location data - best to remove this for privacy reasons.

Hi and welcome to UM.:)

Personally for me it was rather difficult to make out anything in your pic concerning ghost(s) or whatnot. All that I could make out was some odd shaped looking head and eyes that kinda looked like this --> :alien: hence my attempt at pointing the arrow. Is this what you mean ?

B241_B8_FB_E5_A9_44_AF_84_C2_5912_F9_A6_FB00_jpeg_6472516c29389e50faefe0d8cec52ca4.jpg

Now of course I'll put it down to being my pareidolia. But I'd say that it's probably got more to do with being a grainy photo because of the lighting. There are folk here tho, that know more about camera's, lighting etc.. that might explain things better.  

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

Ah see I was thinking of the dark blotch above the back of the chair...while Astra was thinking of the light blotch where her arrow points hahaha.

Comparing the two photos I'd say it's a combination of the wood/chair reflection obscured/weirded up by the grains and blotchiness.

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

Hi and welcome to UM.:)

Personally for me it was rather difficult to make out anything in your pic concerning ghost(s) or whatnot. All that I could make out was some odd shaped looking head and eyes that kinda looked like this --> :alien: hence my attempt at pointing the arrow. Is this what you mean ?

B241_B8_FB_E5_A9_44_AF_84_C2_5912_F9_A6_FB00_jpeg_6472516c29389e50faefe0d8cec52ca4.jpg

Now of course I'll put it down to being my pareidolia. But I'd say that it's probably got more to do with being a grainy photo because of the lighting. There are folk here tho, that know more about camera's, lighting etc.. that might explain things better.  

Yes, that is the area I believe could be something unexplainable. I attached another photo in a previous response that reflects how the window normally appears when taking photos. How could the lighting change so drastically over several minutes in the middle of the night? 

The angles are completely different in the photos so you’ll see different reflections. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ib1992 said:

She grabbed her phone and snapped the photo you see. 

What prompted her to take a photo of the window? Did she 'see' something unusual?

22 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Do you mean the vague reflection of the cupboard with the plant pot on it?

All the more reason it would have been better if we could have seen another photo of that area during the day. 

• Like 1