Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's last male northern white rhino dies

UM-Bot

Being unable to protect that which is endangered points out to actual lack of spiritual, technical, scientific, cultural, artistic advancement. We might have cell phones, good comedy shows, interesting markets and satellites but somewhere along the way we lost our humanity.

• Like 5

Just now, seanjo said:

Africa especially the Sudan is an anarchic cesspit. It's people and wildlife deserves better.

That can be said of course but i do not see it as problem related to Sudan but to every person who lives on this planet. Take Ecuador for example. Rain forests are being removed on alarming scales and Ecuador was promised funds from leading countries to fight this issue, issue which could fire back on environment all around the Earth.

What happened with those promises? LINK

It's matter of time when this rain forest problem snowballs into something which would affect everything in the region, then in the world.

Sudan is one of the places which got stolen from and taken from so that we can sustain our lives in safety of European or Northern American borders. Safari anyone?'

Why couldn't they transport the Rhino to the states or somewhere in Europe with good vet's/medicine to help him?

Also how is it human's fault for this? " "His death is a cruel symbol of human disregard for nature and it saddened everyone who knew him."  The rhino had a degenerative bone condition. Doesn't seem like that has anything to do with human disregard? I could be missing something.

But R.I.P to that Rhino. He's in a better spot now.

Looking at his back feet, he looked like he was ready to slam dunk like Jordan.

I think the article meant to imply that its the human disregard that it came to be that only 3 of these animals were left, definitely an unfortunate day for this species, but due to the health implications over the last month, was kind of expecting this to come sooner or later.

• Like 1

The tragedy is not the death of the individual, it is the loss of a species. Of course the species was already long doomed, but the death of this one animal is certainly symbolic of what we are doing to our only home and planet.

The loss of biodiversity is like a clicking clock towards our own extinction and we will be far from being the last thing standing on this planet. I said it before often enough. It is not about saving life, life will do fine, it has survived worse than us. It is about our own survival, the prospects of which seem grimer every day!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2018 at 8:56 AM, seanjo said:

Africa especially the Sudan is an anarchic cesspit. It's people and wildlife deserves better.

It is "it's people" who are killing these animals.  

51 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Some of them, a very few...not all of them. Places like China pay big bucks for these body part remedies.

Agree, but more of them are killed by locals than foreigners.

I do agree that the market created by dumb people in Asia help drive the poaching.   Also collectors in other places of the globe.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Myles said:

Agree, but more of them are killed by locals than foreigners.

I do agree that the market created by dumb people in Asia help drive the poaching.   Also collectors in other places of the globe.  

Well let's say the fingers on the triggers belong to local people, but the reason the rifles have been shouldered, like the rifles themselves, originate overseas. 

• Like 1

Much better if the facts are clearly presented as it is and not repetitiously blamed on 'Asia' as the main fault ... if the numbers are to be believed the 'parts' are will inundate the Asian markets and will never going to be as costly as it is reported to be ...

~

From 2005 to 2014 the 'Big Five' trophy species imported into the United States, totaling about 32,500 lions, elephants, rhinos, buffalo, and leopards combined, from Africa were:

1. African Lion
  2. African Elephant
  3. African Leopard
  4. Southern White Rhino
  5. African Buffalo [69]

~

~

These 11 Hunters' Trophy Rooms Are Completely Unbelievable

www.wideopenspaces.com/11-impressive-trophy-rooms-world-slideshow/

Jul 8, 2017 - Think your collection of deer mounts is impressive? Here are 11 trophy rooms you have to see to believe.

~

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

Well let's say the fingers on the triggers belong to local people, but the reason the rifles have been shouldered, like the rifles themselves, originate overseas. 

I put at minimum an equal amount of blame on the person who does the deed.   For them, the reason was money.   Not a good reason to kill off a species.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Myles said:

I put at minimum an equal amount of blame on the person who does the deed.   For them, the reason was money.   Not a good reason to kill off a species.  

I can't agree. I live a safe, relatively affluent, and very protected life in a safe, affluent and protected country. As a result I can afford scruples. If I lived in a place where my options were limited and my family were hungry I wouldn't give a damn about animals or other people. Well I might, but I'd still do whatever I could for my own first. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I can't agree. I live a safe, relatively affluent, and very protected life in a safe, affluent and protected country. As a result I can afford scruples. If I lived in a place where my options were limited and my family were hungry I wouldn't give a damn about animals or other people. Well I might, but I'd still do whatever I could for my own first. 

I can understand that, however it would still be you who are responsible for killing off the animals.   Sure, end users are also to blame, but you would be the one pulling the trigger.  

• Like 2

how sad that such a noble animal is now extinct. can't understand why country's can't get together and relocate endangered animals to areas in the world that can better suit and protect such animals. 

• Like 1

I thought he was going to make it. :( So sad and depressing.