Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sleep Paralysis

SPerry

Well I experianced a sleep paralysis incident this morning that left me pretty shook..
My husband got up and ready for work kissed me and I fell back asleep.. thought id been asleep atleast another hour or so but I guess it wasnt long because he hadnt left the house before it was all over.. I had a dream I was in a room where people we hanging out and eating and the dream turned focus on my actual room which was weird for some reason I thought back to a girl I had spoken to in the dream and all the sudden in my room she says clear as day your thought now brought me here hahah(creepy laugh) almost like she expected it i couldnt move the entier time and when i could woke up heart racing..WTF?? it was so real i couldnt go back to sleep LOL anyone had sleep paralysis?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SPerry said:

Well I experianced a sleep paralysis incident this morning that left me pretty shook..
My husband got up and ready for work kissed me and I fell back asleep.. thought id been asleep atleast another hour or so but I guess it wasnt long because he hadnt left the house before it was all over.. I had a dream I was in a room where people we hanging out and eating and the dream turned focus on my actual room which was weird for some reason I thought back to a girl I had spoken to in the dream and all the sudden in my room she says clear as day your thought now brought me here hahah(creepy laugh) almost like she expected it i couldnt move the entier time and when i could woke up heart racing..WTF?? it was so real i couldnt go back to sleep LOL anyone had sleep paralysis?

Hey SPerry, welcome to the boards. Yeah quite a few of us have had similar experiences. Was this your first time? If not, how often do you get SP?

My first time I woke up to see a black cloud looking thing that was swirling around like a tornado. I don't think I've ever been more scared in my life. I've learned a lot about it since then though, and actually look forward to it now.

• Like 2

I saw two things during sleep paralysis; one was years ago, a creature made of bubbles and crab legs crawled over my chest. The other was recently I was able to open my eyes and found a doll-like baby staring back. And once I had the weird sensation of being a mummy. I get sleep paralysis infrequently, several times a year.

The important thing to remember is that nothing during a SP can hurt you, what you are seeing are just after-images from your dreams. It's because your brain isn't fully awake yet (that's also why you can't move).

The best thing would be to remain calm, which is of course very hard, I hardly ever manage that. Personally I usually realize very quickly that I'm in SP and, knowing that it's a time when the mind can run wild and throw up some frightening things I find it useful to keep myself busy by trying to concentrate on getting my body to move again. I first try to get control of my toes and fingers (trying to wiggle them) and to get my eyes to open (if they are "glued" shut, which they sometimes are) 
This usually helps and my control over my body spreads from the toes/fingertips down to the arms and legs until I manage to roll over and by that time everything is usually normal again.  

• Like 1

Used to get them. The experiences stopped completely, and immediately at the word "Jesus", or "Jesus help me", even if I was only able to say it in my mind.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I saw two things during sleep paralysis; one was years ago, a creature made of bubbles and crab legs crawled over my chest. The other was recently I was able to open my eyes and found a doll-like baby staring back. And once I had the weird sensation of being a mummy. I get sleep paralysis infrequently, several times a year.

The important thing to remember is that nothing during a SP can hurt you, what you are seeing are just after-images from your dreams. It's because your brain isn't fully awake yet (that's also why you can't move).

The best thing would be to remain calm, which is of course very hard, I hardly ever manage that. Personally I usually realize very quickly that I'm in SP and, knowing that it's a time when the mind can run wild and throw up some frightening things I find it useful to keep myself busy by trying to concentrate on getting my body to move again. I first try to get control of my toes and fingers (trying to wiggle them) and to get my eyes to open (if they are "glued" shut, which they sometimes are) 
This usually helps and my control over my body spreads from the toes/fingertips down to the arms and legs until I manage to roll over and by that time everything is usually normal again.  

Next time try to roll your eyes upward. That usually breaks the paralysis.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On March 20, 2018 at 8:55 AM, SPerry said:

I think this sounds meta.

You seem to be knowledgable about the phenomena.

'Creepy laugh' girl might suggest your own agency; awareness to perform reality testing and the lucidity that leads to control.

On 3/21/2018 at 1:55 AM, SPerry said:

Well I experienced a sleep paralysis incident this morning that left me pretty shook..
My husband got up and ready for work kissed me and I fell back asleep.. thought id been asleep at least another hour or so but I guess it wasn't long because he hadn't left the house before it was all over..

Hi, & Welcome to UM.

In my experience this fits a common pattern.. I wake after every dream  so I can write it down beginning with the time of waking. As a result of doing this I've got a pretty good sense of when these kinds of experiences happen, and this fit's my criteria of a semi typical Sleep Paralysis Experience.. It usually happens when one is in a very light sleep and dream state that is on the very fringe of wakefulness. Lot's of amazing things can happen in this state which can be anything from utterly restful to epic and down-right bizarre.. You can hear things.. See things.. and yeah, sometimes it can be perceived as frightening and can leave you pretty shook up..

To break it I used to, hyperventilate, worked every time..

Nowadays I prefer to just see what happens.

• Like 2

There are some things you can do to avoid these experiences.

Get plenty of sleep, avoid sleeping on your back, avoid napping.

If you find yourself in paralysis, try to move a body part...some people say the big toe works.

Saying a prayer or mantra in your head (whatever you believe in strongly) will sometimes snap you out of it.

If you have an event, don't go right back to sleep. Get up and move around a bit. Otherwise, you could go right back into another paralysis event.

If all else fails, you could always do a simple banishment. Something from your own belief system, or you can find the LBRP on youtube. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have had only one experience of sleep paralysis and it seemed to be the standard version.  Sleeping alone, lying on back, 'woke' to the sensation of pressure on my chest, could 'see' a black mass right next to me on bed and another at the end of bed, that one taller and narrower.  Tired to move, couldn’t, thrashed legs (or so I thought), tried to scream but couldn’t, though I could hear a sort of strangled groan coming from myself.  Finally forced out an audible scream and black masses vanished and I sat up abruptly to see the bed covers completely undisturbed, so wasn’t thrashing legs.  Scary at the time,  but I did fall back to sleep without further incident.  At no time did I think anything supernatural was going on.