Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
stereologist

The New England Airship of 1909

77 posts in this topic

psyche101
Posted (edited)

I just feel that reports that accurately described technology 5 to 10 years before being officially recognised as being invented offers a strong case for some prototype efforts that didn't make it into the history books. In 1897, an airship with an aluminum envelope was built by the Hungarian-Croatian engineer David Schwarz, in 1886 people reported something just like that which didn't yet exist(as per the link I left to the mystery airship). It just seems too much a coincidence to me. 

Edited by psyche101

Merc14
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I just feel that reports that accurately described technology 5 to 10 years before being officially recognised as being invented offers a strong case for some prototype efforts that didn't make it into the history books. In 1897, an airship with an aluminum envelope was built by the Hungarian-Croatian engineer David Schwarz, in 1886 people reported something just like that which didn't yet exist(as per the link I left to the mystery airship). It just seems too much a coincidence to me. 

A monoplane capable of flying over 300 miles, at night, with three people onboard, at 120MPH in 1909 seems beyond far fetched.   This is the state of the art in 1909  https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=719

Pure tall-tale

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1