Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Universe Simulation

Lucid Science

21 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I've often wondered, we can describe behavior in QM, but not what is behaving. Is there only behavior, or is there some things behaving? In your view, I would say nothing is behaving, there is only behavior, determined by algorithm.

I like this part too.

There is another amazing possibility that opens up if we are a simulation. The possibility that we could discover, and maybe even access, other universes or forms of existence. 

If you know computing a bit think of virtual machines (VM's). There have been programs, viruses mostly, written that can move outside of the VM to infect the host operating system. Then the program can hop from VM to VM at will. Could we do the same? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

Haha, maybe we are.

I always took some comfort from the possibility of simulation theory. If it's true at least there is some purpose to existence, whatever and however crazy that may be.

In some of my fictional meanderings, our universe was created by the Evil Vulgarians in one of their laboratories, on the premise that, since their universe is a messed-up universe, they created ours also messed-up in childish spite, 

I think in Zen, the meaning of life is in the living of our life moment by moment. When we look for something 'extra' to impose upon our life, we may loose our appreciation of this very moment.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

I like this part too.

There is another amazing possibility that opens up if we are a simulation. The possibility that we could discover, and maybe even access, other universes or forms of existence. 

If you know computing a bit think of virtual machines (VM's). There have been programs, viruses mostly, written that can move outside of the VM to infect the host operating system. Then the program can hop from VM to VM at will. Could we do the same? 

Maybe our universe is a virus infecting the host operating system.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

I like this part too.

Think about brane  theory, all of those parallel universes, membranes separated by  almost nothing; no distance in our dimensions anyway.  Sort of like your VM's.

Hawking and his colleagues did a lot of work on black holes.  Part of the strangeness of that is all of the state information from particles entering the black hole is preserved on the surface of the black hole event horizon, not in  its volume.  The size of a black hole as it sucks in matter is tied to the surface area in Planck squares.  There is that number again, the Planck constant and the related Planck square being the smallest "pixel of the universe, something that can hold 1 bit of information.  Unbelievably tiny, but not infinitely tiny, it could be a computational size limit. Sort of like our computers work with the Minecraft world blocks," Mojang" size, a really trick computer might have enough power to work with Planck volumes.  

It makes distances and sizes computable.  If the universe is continuous, quantum mechanics, like all calculus algorithms would be finite steps used to represent continuous space and time.

Thanks for the thread. 

• Like 2

quantumfoam

Tatetopa,

"Space time at the quantum level is a seething foam of fluctuating worm holes." http://holofractal.net/2013/05/31/quantum-gravity-and-the-holographic-mass/

In this sense, all space time is interconnected by worm holes. If a Planck area is one bit of information, then every Planck area bit is interconnected to all other Planck area bits via worm holes. Wouldn't,in a simulation, each bit being in communication with every other bit, could this be used to smooth out space time and make it seem continuous on larger scales? 

In a simulated universe, this would explain some QM features and events such as quantum entanglement. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

"Space time at the quantum level is a seething foam of fluctuating worm holes." http://holofractal.net/2013/05/31/quantum-gravity-and-the-holographic-mass/

That's an interesting read thanks.  A few problems with the article in that it's someones interpretation of a paper written in another language but it seems to capture the meat of it - certainly a cool theory.

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

There is that number again, the Planck constant and the related Planck square being the smallest "pixel of the universe, something that can hold 1 bit of information.  Unbelievably tiny, but not infinitely tiny, it could be a computational size limit. Sort of like our computers work with the Minecraft world blocks," Mojang" size, a really trick computer might have enough power to work with Planck volumes.  

It makes distances and sizes computable.  If the universe is continuous, quantum mechanics, like all calculus algorithms would be finite steps used to represent continuous space and time.

I have a HTC Vive VR setup at my work and the first time I tried it out I was stunned... 

When I finally stepped out of one 'reality' and back into the 'real' world I had to wonder for a second, how long until what's in there is almost indistinguishable from what is out here? The answer might be not long at all if quantum supremacy really will be reached by the end of 2018.  One of the other odd experiences in VR is due to the limitations of the tech and that is that you can see the individual pixels that make up the world you inhabit and yet your brain very, very swiftly adapts so that you basically ignore them.  What once looked a bit pixelated and blurry becomes the norm for your brain within minutes.

• Like 2

I've read about various reasons why some intelligence would create a simulated universe, but I still don't understand why a universe like ours would be simulated. Maybe some intelligence made a simulating machine that went bonkers or extremely enthusiastic. :) 

Then there's an artificially created naturally occurring universe created in a laboratory. 

I have this gut feeling that ours is a naturally occurring universe. Sort of disappointing in a way. Everything we experience has a cause and effect, but on the quantum scale events just seem to happen spontaneously with no deterministic cause. This is counter-intuitive and why we are always looking for some first cause of some sort. First cause uncaused, why we invent religions.

Perhaps if we could rewind the universe, and keep unwinding and unwinding we would never discover a first cause of existence. We haven't discussed Time in the universe, simulated or naturally occurring. If Time only exists at the BB, then 'in between' BB's there is no Time. In this sense, the mega-universe or Existence would be a spontaneously manifesting universe creating machine with no initial origin. 

Existence seems to me infinitely unlikely, but here it is and here we are. 

11 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

I have this gut feeling that ours is a naturally occurring universe. Sort of disappointing in a way. Everything we experience has a cause and effect, but on the quantum scale events just seem to happen spontaneously with no deterministic cause. This is counter-intuitive and why we are always looking for some first cause of some sort. First cause uncaused, why we invent religions.

Ah haa!  it's working perfectly.  Your simulated gut is producing simulated intuition.

Well consider this, it may not be aliens.  For all we know, this could be the year 2218.  Our descendants are examining their past.  Maybe they are wondering if things could have turned out differently so they are running a bunch of historical simulations with different parameters.  We happen to be in one. Maybe they have one running next to us with Hillary as president.

Maybe they run a ton of simulations to see what to do before they come back in time and change an event. Who can say for sure?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well consider this, it may not be aliens.  For all we know, this could be the year 2218.  Our descendants are examining their past.  Maybe they are wondering if things could have turned out differently so they are running a bunch of historical simulations with different parameters.

uww.ancestrysimulator.hypercloud.god

Ever wondered how life would have turned out if you'd taken a different path? Wonder no more, here at Hypercloud.god we have the power to make your alternative reality, reality! 

Our cluster of quantum computers, powered by dyson spheres, will model the entire universe right up to the point you wish to change. All of your favourite consciousnesses brought back to life in exquisite detail....etc

Nah, couldn't be...

:blink:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

If Time only exists at the BB, then 'in between' BB's there is no Time.

We all know time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

:D

11 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Ah haa!  it's working perfectly.  Your simulated gut is producing simulated intuition.

:)  I wonder what are the odds of you and me being in this here particular simulation right now as opposed to you and me being in this here naturally occurring universe right now? To me, both seem improbable. Some improbability function. 

I consider this probability less in a simulated universe than in a naturally occurring universe, unless we were specifically designed to exist in this simulation. In this case, there would be some reason for us to exist. 

In a natural universe, you and I exist only due to the random evolution of the universe. We have no special purpose. 

Then again, this may be a simulation within a simulation, etc.,. The natural universe from which some intelligence created the sim has long since ceased to exist, evolved to heat death, and only the simulations now exist. These sims would exist in some meta-space insulated from entropy. Why program entropy into a sim? Why not program the sim to continue forever?

Just ideas, but since entropy exists in our universe, maybe this is some evidence that it is not a simulation.

• Like 2

Dr. S. James Gates, Jr., a theoretical physicist, the John S. Toll Professor of Physics at the University of Maryland, and the Director of The Center for String & Particle Theory, is reporting that certain string theory, super-symmetrical equations, which describe the fundamental nature of the Universe and reality, contain embedded computer codes. These codes are digital data in the form of 1′s and 0′s. Not only that, these codes are the same as what make web browsers work and are error-correction codes! Gates says, “We have no idea what these ‘things’ are doing there”.

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/has-james-gates-discovered-computer-code-in-string-theory-equations.113574/

I've registered there, but haven't had time yet to confirm via email. Sounds interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Ok, that link leads to Sciforums. Here's another interesting link from there, "Are You Living in a Computer Simulation?"

BY NICK BOSTROM

Faculty of Philosophy, Oxford University

Published in Philosophical Quarterly (2003) Vol. 53, No. 211, pp. 243-255.

https://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

Letters appearing in the sky's everywhere: "This Simulation is Now Being Terminated. Sorry, but our budget constraints require this present action. Hope you had a nice time while it lasted." :) 

4 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Letters appearing in the sky's everywhere: "This Simulation is Now Being Terminated. Sorry, but our budget constraints require this present action. Hope you had a nice time while it lasted." :) 

:lol:

• Like 1