Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Universe Simulation

Lucid Science

Are our computers almost at the stage of running simulations programs with inhabitants of full consciousness like ours. Who wrote or who is writing our simulated universe? Who are our advanced ascendants and where are they now?

• Like 1

One day a physicist may discover a quantum serial number imprinted in the universe somewhere, or maybe a barcode. I believe ours is a natural occurring universe, but it could well be a simulation.

56 minutes ago, Lucid Science said:

Are our computers almost at the stage of running simulations programs with inhabitants of full consciousness like ours. Who wrote or who is writing our simulated universe? Who are our advanced ascendants and where are they now?

Sorry for not fully understanding this....what do you mean by:

inhabitants of full consciousness like ours? 

Advanced ascendants?

Is the growing awakening that ‘Reality’ could be a Hi-Tech Reality-fabrication by immaculate computer systems of our own future or ‘Ascendents’ — taken to a point that we as ‘A Simulation’ cannot tell the difference between what IS Reality and what IS Simulation? – and possibly never will.

It’s not too far out there to assume that the makings of the immaculate computer systems and programs required for such artificial realities is just a stone’s throw away from quantum-technology. Futurologists from all fields see this as the sure inevitability of our species to have this very capability in our own hands sooner than later. These technological forecasts (if true as many believe) in the landscape of our not too stretched imaginations, will graphically enlighten us on the complete beginnings, origins and distant far off futures of (this) universe and more.

These technological enlightenments could and will be used for medicine and maybe the ever-strived for elixir of eternal youth. Complete mind and mental (spiritual) awakenings we all have naturally in our grasp. Eco housing, city design right through to physiological transport and even transporting in time. Theoretical Physics becoming a backbone to basic learning and fundamental understanding for all to access. If acceptance of our current existence exists, and our ‘consciousness’ is so superbly perfected in a simulation of ‘another’s’ design, and our acceptance is commonplace, then our historical ascendants – we do not truly descend from. We descend from the simulated that were simulated by a far more advanced of the first human-like species, if there is or was such a species to begin with.

• The title was changed to [Merged] Universe Simulation

Threads merged

1. No spamming Common forms of forum spam include but are not limited to:

• 1c. Cross-posting: Do not cross-post the same content across multiple threads/sections.

^^ Also, please try to start threads in the correct sections - you've posted almost all of these in the 'Sightings, Reports and Experiences' section which is intended for members to post their own personal stories and encounters with the unexplained.

Thank you.

It's certainly one possibility. I'm awaiting results from endeavours such as the Blue Brain Project.

Here is the rub. If we can simulate a human-like consciousness within a machine then it becomes an almost statistical certainty we're in a simulation ourselves.

I like this video on the subject as it sums things up nicely in a few minutes:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

It's certainly one possibility. I'm awaiting results from endeavours such as the Blue Brain Project.

Here is the rub. If we can simulate a human-like consciousness within a machine then it becomes an almost statistical certainty we're in a simulation ourselves.

I like this video on the subject as it sums things up nicely in a few minutes:

I call BS on that statistic. It's like saying if a certain spot of land can grow a tree there has to be a tree there. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it HAS to happen.

Edited by moonman

21 hours ago, Lucid Science said:

Are our computers almost at the stage of running simulations programs with inhabitants of full consciousness like ours.

No. We can't emulate a single consciousness yet. Kurzweil's predictions are probably several decades off.

Suspected for a while that the Universe may be a computer simulation, though. Needs a few patches.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, moonman said:

I call BS on that statistic. It's like saying if a certain spot of land can grow a tree there has to be a tree there. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it HAS to happen.

Not quite, did you watch the video? The theory is a little more complicated than I made it seem but the general gist is true.  The paradox only occurs if we can fully recreate a universe in a machine, complete with human level consciousness.  At this point the math's says that it is possible we are the first to do this but it is statistically unlikely to be the case.  There are other ways to look at the same problem:

Even if our rate of improvement slows dramatically, it’ll only be a matter of time before “games will become indistinguishable from reality”. As NASA scientist Rich Terrile says, “Soon there will be nothing technical standing in the way to making machines that have their own consciousness.”

In more detail: According to Bostrom’s research, based on our understanding of physics, simulating the entire universe down to a quantum level is unfeasible. But compressed representations of distant objects and ad hoc simulations of microscopic objects would dramatically lessen the computing power required. Given this, a rough estimate of a “realistic simulation of human history” would require about 1033–1036 operations per second. Given that Eric Drexler has given plans for a single computer the size of a sugar cube that could theoretically perform 1021 operations per second (among plans by other authors), we can assume that it is definitely possible to create a computer powerful enough to simulate the world as we understand it.

What Is the Simulation Argument?

Knowing that one day we’ll probably be able to create these powerful simulations, we should ask… how do we know we’re not in one right now?

When we think of how intelligent civilizations around the universe could progress (and have progressed), we have to admit that at least one of the following statements is true. Other than these three choices, there aren’t really any other options:

1. Virtually every civilization will go (or has gone) extinct before developing the ability to create these simulations.
  2. Virtually every civilization that has (or had) developed the ability to create simulations chooses not to do so.
  3. We are almost certainly living in a simulation.

It's a great thought experiment whatever the truth.

• Like 1

Perhaps they choose not to because of the morality of becoming all those things they blamed on their own God :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Perhaps they choose not to because of the morality of becoming all those things they blamed on their own God :D 

:lol:

I think it's a moral choice we'll have to face so you could be absolutely spot on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiggs said:

No. We can't emulate a single consciousness yet. Kurzweil's predictions are probably several decades off.

Suspected for a while that the Universe may be a computer simulation, though. Needs a few patches.

We're a rogue fork in an evolutionary algorithm that's gone unnoticed on some guys hyperdimensional cryptocurrency mining machine.

Now here's another thought experiment in the form of a question. Let's say you somehow discover we are living in a simulation. You also discover that there's an on/off switch. The chance is fleeting and won't return, the outcome is completely uncertain and you have just one opportunity to press it, do you?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

We're a rogue fork in an evolutionary algorithm that's gone unnoticed on some guys hyperdimensional cryptocurrency mining machine.

Scary thought.

23 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

Now here's another thought experiment in the form of a question. Let's say you somehow discover we are living in a simulation. You also discover that there's an on/off switch. The chance is fleeting and won't return, the outcome is completely uncertain and you have just one opportunity to press it, do you?

No. The Universe may suck, but at least it is.

• Like 2

I wrote a little story once about a game console that simulated life on a planet like Earth. These were sentient, conscious  beings who you could manipulate any way you choose. You also had the ability to control the weather, earthquakes, volcanoes, diseases...everything. You were God. I wouldn't want to wake up one morning existing on that planet.

I'm wondering, if we live in a simulation, why and how does your particular consciousness exist? It seems to me the chances of 'you' existing now in a simulated universe would be rare or non-existent. I think so it would be in a naturally occurring universe. Still, here you are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I'm wondering, if we live in a simulation, why and how does your particular consciousness exist? It seems to me the chances of 'you' existing now in a simulated universe would be rare or non-existent. I think so it would be in a naturally occurring universe. Still, here you are.

I always wondered what naturally occurring could really mean. I think we live in an evolved universe that is not interfered with by whatever force created it.

I always find it hard to break away from this idea of reductionism. At the fundamental level are we actually Yin and Yang, Light and Dark, Good and Evil or 1's and 0's?

The big bang was the day they hit the power switch. Inflation was the period of unpacking the algorithm into memory and the rest is, as they might say, algorithmically evolved history.

Or not :P

• Like 2

E wonder if my existence was predetermined from the very beginning. In a sense it was, because here I am. On the other hand, am I lucky the completely random events since the BB eventually created me? 

A simulated universe may exist only during my lifetime, and was created for me to exist only. It was created at the moment of my birth. After I die, the simulation will end. I suppose for everyone that's the truth. The personal truth.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tiggs said:

Scary thought.

No. The Universe may suck, but at least it is.

Agreed, I would do the same. 

What though, if when you click that switch, you know you would wake up  ... somewhere as something. Let's say you also know that, simulations or not, you're going to be wiping those other consciousness'es out forever.  Same one time choice, do you find out the truth of your existence or can you stomach living the lie for the sake of sentient simulations? 

What's worse is you don't know if this simulation will ever really end....

Tougher choice for me.

30 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

After I die, the simulation will end. I suppose for everyone that's the truth. The personal truth.

Unless of course they just tweak the starting parameters and sent you out for another run...

:su

As for the switch... Which one of us is the consciousness of the simulator? Have you ever been among random people, and someone turns to you and smiles in peculiar way? A knowing smile? :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

As for the switch... Which one of us is the consciousness of the simulator? Have you ever been among random people, and someone turns to you and smiles in peculiar way? A knowing smile? :) 

In the first situation you don't know, you risk hitting the switch and ending your own simulated consciousness. Could you go on living life knowing that it's highly likely you are indeed just a simulation...but never being sure.

For me I would find existing this way no real problem, at least there is reason and purpose to any simulation, but I wonder how others would feel.

A philosophical zombie or p-zombie in the philosophy of mind and perception is a hypothetical being that from the outside is indistinguishable from a normal human being but lacks conscious experience, qualia, or sentience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

This may be a simpler way to simulate human beings in a simulation program. Who among us is a real consciousness?

• Like 1