Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Giant bear of the late Pleistocene found

15 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

It was discovered on the banks of the Salado River, northwest of the province of Buenos Aires, a paleontological site has revealed a lot of fossils in recent weeks. The skull and jaw of this giant bear were almost complete.

https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/a-giant-bear-of-late-pleistocene-was.html#jTXpOFp3AODPVVrX.97

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
khol
Posted (edited)

Reading that I was thinking how crazy it would be to be chased by that huge animal and thought well prehistoric humans probably would have.. and it led me to this

http://www.toptenz.net/10-terrifying-animals-lived-alongside-prehistoric-man.php

Its hard to imagine what the wildlife would be like back then and what these people encountered. Ground Sloths 20 feet long wieghing 4 tons ?  wtf ! :lol:

a time machine would be so cool

Edited by khol
spelling
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

How large was the bear?  I don't speak Spanish...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
9 hours ago, and then said:

How large was the bear?  I don't speak Spanish...

The video might not reveal how large the bear was. I've been looking at other source links online but none of them that I can see give the size of the bear. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sameerr
16 hours ago, and then said:

How large was the bear?  I don't speak Spanish...

This new discovery has a skull which is awesome and i wonder if this specimen is in similar size to A.angustidens. This bear belongs to the genus of the Arctotherium as mentioned in the source. The largest bear known is Arctotherium Angustidens which weighs over a tonne and it is the largest known terrestrial mammalian carnivore. That specimen is only known from a humerus as i guess.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
48 minutes ago, Sameerr said:

This new discovery has a skull which is awesome and i wonder if this specimen is in similar size to A.angustidens. This bear belongs to the genus of the Arctotherium as mentioned in the source. The largest bear known is Arctotherium Angustidens which weighs over a tonne and it is the largest known terrestrial mammalian carnivore. That specimen is only known from a humerus as i guess.

Thanks for the info.  I guess I just noticed article and assumed there would be some mention of the size of the bear for someone who knew nothing of these things.  No worries :)   It sounds like a really BIG bear...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sameerr
7 hours ago, and then said:

Thanks for the info.  I guess I just noticed article and assumed there would be some mention of the size of the bear for someone who knew nothing of these things.  No worries :)   It sounds like a really BIG bear...

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=342093969460292&id=100009790754391&set=a.134209756915382.1073741827.100009790754391&source=56

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover
On 21/03/2018 at 6:00 AM, and then said:

How large was the bear?  I don't speak Spanish...

Just to say that this is one of those phrases best appreciated out of context. 

It's worth noting too that this bear still has family in South America, the small (fir a bear) spectacled bear. One of whom would go on to make it big in London. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
4 hours ago, oldrover said:

Just to say that this is one of those phrases best appreciated out of context. 

It's worth noting too that this bear still has family in South America, the small (fir a bear) spectacled bear. One of whom would go on to make it big in London. 

I don't understand what you're attempting to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover
9 minutes ago, and then said:

I don't understand what you're attempting to say.

Your comment makes perfect sense in the context of this thread, but I was saying that in isolation it'd strike you as being very unusual. 

As to the rest of it, it was just two general comments not directed at anyone in particular. But what I meant by them is that there is a surviving member of the same group this giant bear belonged to, and that's the spectacled bear, which is a very small bear.  And as this is the only species of bear found in South America, and Paddington was from 'darkest Peru' he was a spectacled bear, and the Paddington stories by Michael Bond are set in London.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NicoletteS
On 3/20/2018 at 7:20 PM, khol said:

Reading that I was thinking how crazy it would be to be chased by that huge animal and thought well prehistoric humans probably would have.. and it led me to this

http://www.toptenz.net/10-terrifying-animals-lived-alongside-prehistoric-man.php

Its hard to imagine what the wildlife would be like back then and what these people encountered. Ground Sloths 20 feet long wieghing 4 tons ?  wtf ! :lol:

a time machine would be so cool

Sounds like an easy feast... no wonder they are gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
3 hours ago, oldrover said:

Your comment makes perfect sense in the context of this thread, but I was saying that in isolation it'd strike you as being very unusual. 

As to the rest of it, it was just two general comments not directed at anyone in particular. But what I meant by them is that there is a surviving member of the same group this giant bear belonged to, and that's the spectacled bear, which is a very small bear.  And as this is the only species of bear found in South America, and Paddington was from 'darkest Peru' he was a spectacled bear, and the Paddington stories by Michael Bond are set in London.  

Thank you for clearing that up.  I'm a bit slow on the uptake at times ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldrover
3 hours ago, NicoletteS said:

Sounds like an easy feast...

Really? 

Today's sloths are small animals, and  part of why they so sluggish is to avoid detection by keen eyed harpy eagles. One of their major predators. These ground sloths though were related but different. Like most 4 ton animals with hugely powerful arms and ten inch claws, they didn't worry too much about predation. These things would have been much more active. And you'd fancy that as easy meal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NicoletteS
4 hours ago, oldrover said:

Really? 

Today's sloths are small animals, and  part of why they so sluggish is to avoid detection by keen eyed harpy eagles. One of their major predators. These ground sloths though were related but different. Like most 4 ton animals with hugely powerful arms and ten inch claws, they didn't worry too much about predation. These things would have been much more active. And you'd fancy that as easy meal? 

I wouldn't say easy to kill but I'm guessing easy to catch and a bountiful feast so yeah a likely target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.