Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Self-driving car kills pedestrian in Arizona

UM-Bot

7 hours ago, glorybebe said:

I watched the video and until just before impact, the pedestrian was not visible.  She was in dark clothes, no reflectors visible and not on a crosswalk.  She took her life in her hands and unfortunately she lost it.

I watched the vid also and I can clearly state that the accident could had been prevented by the driver but she failed on 2 major points here. First, the driver was distracted because of playing with an electronic device, which is exactly the scenario I`ve described in post #6. 2nd, the driver didnt responded adequate to the situation by just waiting for the impact. The golden rule (to survive) for motorcyclists and drivers in general is: " look where you want to drive or you will hit what you look at". If the driver would had the eyes on the street and the hands on the steering wheel, and well trained as well, she would had done an emergency break combined with an avoidance manoeuvre straight to the left, the old lady would still be alive.

The vid:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9y5z4_1521705001

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 9:17 AM, MySummerJob said:

Nothing is fool proof, but I'm hoping as technology improves so will self-driving cars.

I'm thinking they'll have to be multi-sensor'd to detect things like this in all forms of climate, and lighting.

That being said though, my thoughts are with the victim's family, and friends.

like yourself i share the families grief in losing a loved one to this new technology. i personally think that new tech like this should be perfected in a more safe environment. if it was me i would not just be putting more censors on the actual vehicle but on and in the roads too. hate to think that this lady lost her life to a malfunctioning $5 sensor. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, toast said:

Disgusting comment.

Sorry, but there are very simple and basic ways to avoid this type of incident:

• Crossing at a set of lights or at a crosswalk (somewhere lit up)
  • Wearing reflective gear (required by law)
  • Or the most easiest way, we were all taught as children...look both ways before crossing

Other than that it's just stupidity on the womans part

10 hours ago, toast said:

I watched the vid also and I can clearly state that the accident could had been prevented by the driver but she failed on 2 major points here. First, the driver was distracted because of playing with an electronic device, which is exactly the scenario I`ve described in post #6. 2nd, the driver didnt responded adequate to the situation by just waiting for the impact. The golden rule (to survive) for motorcyclists and drivers in general is: " look where you want to drive or you will hit what you look at". If the driver would had the eyes on the street and the hands on the steering wheel, and well trained as well, she would had done an emergency break combined with an avoidance manoeuvre straight to the left, the old lady would still be alive.

The vid:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9y5z4_1521705001

As for this comment..."Ah, yes if the driver did this specific type of manoeuvre and turned at the right angle everything would be fine" Even thought a car can flip going as little of 20mph with a sharp turn. In either case someone would have died. The person who happened to die was the one breaking the law, hence the Darwin award comment

• Like 3

She should have known better than to be out in the road like that, she was clearly in the wrong. I don't blame the car, she was near impossible to see until it was too late.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

Sorry, but there are very simple and basic ways to avoid this type of incident:

• Crossing at a set of lights or at a crosswalk (somewhere lit up)
  • Wearing reflective gear (required by law)
  • Or the most easiest way, we were all taught as children...look both ways before crossing

Other than that it's just stupidity on the womans part

Wait until you are old and with limited senses. Maybe you remember your comment then.

1 hour ago, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

As for this comment..."Ah, yes if the driver did this specific type of manoeuvre and turned at the right angle everything would be fine" Even thought a car can flip going as little of 20mph with a sharp turn. In either case someone would have died. The person who happened to die was the one breaking the law, hence the Darwin award comment

Thats blahblah. The accident happened because of the stupid driver and I hope she will get jailed for.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, glorybebe said:

I watched the video and until just before impact, the pedestrian was not visible.  She was in dark clothes, no reflectors visible and not on a crosswalk.  She took her life in her hands and unfortunately she lost it.

I've seen videos where people would cross the street while looking at their cellphones and not paying attention to their surroundings.

Some people would even have a child in tow.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2018 at 6:27 AM, Captain Risky said:

if it was me i would not just be putting more censors on the actual vehicle but on and in the roads too. hate to think that this lady lost her life to a malfunctioning $5 sensor. 

That's actually clever, and something that I didn't think of when I first commented.

It would be good to have sensors everywhere (not just in/on the car, and in/on the road) to make sure nothing serious goes wrong. They could put sensors also on the side of the roads, and even put some solar panels (or other green technology) to help with other things.

Kind of like those speedometers, or billboards, and signs you see on the sides of the roads. They could even do the same thing with current traffic cams, and other radars that are already out there.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2018 at 7:04 AM, MySummerJob said:

That's actually clever, and something that I didn't think of when I first commented.

It would be good to have sensors everywhere (not just in/on the car, and in/on the road) to make sure nothing serious goes wrong. They could put sensors also on the side of the roads, and even put some solar panels (or other green technology) to help with other things.

Kind of like those speedometers, or billboards, and signs you see on the sides of the roads. They could even do the same thing with current traffic cams, and other radars that are already out there.

The issue with that is people can come along and destroy them if they are just freely on the sides of the roads