Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dinos evolved frills & horns to attract mates

Still Waters

Dinosaurs like the Triceratops may have had horns and frills to attract a mate, a new study suggests.

Ceratopsian, or horned dinosaurs, were previously thought to have developed this ornamentation to distinguish between different species.

This has now been ruled out in a study published in a Royal Society journal.

Instead, the aggressive-looking armour may actually have evolved to signal an animal's suitability as a partner, known as socio-sexual selection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43472777

• Like 4

Regardless of this 'socio-sexual selection' theory, I think the horns and armour would have primarily been a defence mechanism.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Eldorado said:

They should rename them "horny dinosaurs".

Lol...

Those horns are definitely for defence.

• Like 2

Attract a mate you say?

One horn and "no frills" has always been my motto... :unsure2:

I apoloigise ... I really need to stop ambushing threads with my strange British sense of humour :blush:

• Like 1

It's interesting but sometimes i think that funding research on dinosaur social behaviors is a bit far fetched.

Taxonomy, metabolism to comprehend their biological functionality and why they are all dead can be useful somewhat. But to know if they like to dance in circle or putting make up...well it's a little overboard to me and full of supposition that will never be proved .