Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scared

LadyScorpio

I have two stories I need advice on.

The first is my oldest one. I've been have reoccurring dreams. In these dreams I'm being tortured or my dog (emotional support dog) is being hurt. In the ones about me something awful happens and as I look around I see a badly burned man man in all black with a black hat, sometimes a top hat sometimes a fedora. He just points at me. In the one about my dog we're in a field and somehow my dog gets hurt. I hear this evil...and I mean horribly evil laugh. I look up at its the same man. Pointing and laughing.

The newest one happened today. I was having a nap and in my dream I felt something pull on my leg, pulling me to the end of the bed. Trying to remove my clothes. I look to the end of my bed where my feet are and there is a male figure...but a shadow. I struggle and try to wake myself up. My eyes won't open and every time I get back on my bed fully I'm pulled down to the foot of the bed again. I am screaming trying to wake up. When I finally did the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up and I had goosebumps all over my body.

What do these dreams mean. They're terrifying and the last one is completely new to me

14 minutes ago, LadyScorpio said:

I have two stories I need advice on.

The first is my oldest one. I've been have reoccurring dreams. In these dreams I'm being tortured or my dog (emotional support dog) is being hurt. In the ones about me something awful happens and as I look around I see a badly burned man man in all black with a black hat, sometimes a top hat sometimes a fedora. He just points at me. In the one about my dog we're in a field and somehow my dog gets hurt. I hear this evil...and I mean horribly evil laugh. I look up at its the same man. Pointing and laughing.

The newest one happened today. I was having a nap and in my dream I felt something pull on my leg, pulling me to the end of the bed. Trying to remove my clothes. I look to the end of my bed where my feet are and there is a male figure...but a shadow. I struggle and try to wake myself up. My eyes won't open and every time I get back on my bed fully I'm pulled down to the foot of the bed again. I am screaming trying to wake up. When I finally did the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up and I had goosebumps all over my body.

What do these dreams mean. They're terrifying and the last one is completely new to me

All dreams are self analysis.

• Like 2

You will have a hard time believing this but many people experience at some time in their lives your second issue. You describe classic sleep paralysis. If you google this it will explain easily and also point you to many stories of the same. There are many right here, actually.

Your first dream seems to indicate that you feel vulnerable to me. Especially as it recurs. 

Both are normal. You are ok :)

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, LadyScorpio said:

No one can know for sure what these dreams mean. All I can say is work on relaxation, stress reduction and mental health. Of course that suggestion is good for everything.

Edited by papageorge1

Oh thank god. I read up on it and it does sound like sleep paralysis. Since I was unable to wake up. Was basically being assaulted sexually and right before I fell asleep my legs felt heavy and almost like I was unable to move them. 

After thinking about it the vulnerable definition is right. I've been raped four times in my life and still haven't recovered. And my biggest fear is my dog dying in front of me horribly. I've had dreams where she's gutted in front of me. Or gets hit by a car and when I pick her up her insides fall out but she's still alive and in a lot of pain.

During my last attack she had tried to save me and ended up being thrown into the wall and was hurt.

I am currently working on my issues but it's not going to be done overnight. It could take months or years

• Like 2

They are not entities, LadyScorpio.  You are fine and sleep paralysis seems like the most scary real thing ever. I have gone through it. It took me a while to believe it was not real.

• Like 3

I see you edited your post there Papa. Fear mongering is deplorable. 

• Like 1

Oh good because he scared me for a second. I do believe in spirits. I'm open minded but I thought that entities would do more... and be causing problems longer.

They can, but, there is nothing about what happened to you in these dreams which is not easily understood without going there. 

Sleep paralysis is freaky enough by itself!

• Like 1

Dreams like yours are actually very normal, especially if a person is naturally anxious (me) or undergoing a period of stress.

When I was young I used to have dreams very similar to the second one you described, except the scariest thing to my child mind was that some kind of predator creature had gotten into my room and was grabbing my leg, aiming to eat me. They would happen just as I was falling asleep and I now understand them to be sleep paralysis, but they were terrifying at the time. 

As I got older, the occasional sleep paralysis episodes evolved from large man-eating carnivores into strange humanoid shapes that came at me in a threatening manner, but they haven't happened in years, and here's why:

I strongly believe that these nightmares are the makings of my subconscious mind and nothing more. However, there's a very visceral part of me that gets scared easily. It is probably the same part of my mind that ruled over the actions and beliefs of my ancestors, and thus led them to perform rituals and worship Gods. 

So, if that part of me is afraid of things that go bump in the night, I might as well work with the coping mechanisms that my ancestors used, right? It doesn't really matter if they're 'real' as long as they make that scared part of me settle down so that I can sleep. 

So, here are some techniques that I personally use:

I set up 'wards' on every entry point in my room. Basically they're just a protection spell scribbled on a small square of paper, folded up in a specific way, and then stuck to an inconspicuous place, like underneath a window frame or on top of a door. I've mostly forgotten them except in times when the fear creeps up to me at night, and then I can remind myself 'it's okay, I have my special protection magic. Nothing can hurt me here'. 

If I still feel scared then I pray. I was raised catholic and I still know a few prayers. Do I follow the Catholic faith? Not really, but when I'm scared enough I can suspend disbelief. If there really is a Big Man in the sky and He has a problem with my methods, we can talk about that later when I'm standing outside the pearly gates. 

After that, I took any 'demons' or monsters that appear in my nightmares to be my own personal ones, because I've warded off my sleeping space. Nothing from the 'outside' is allowed to come and interfere with my sweet, sweet sleeping time.

Edited by liath_
  • Like 3

Ok I posted this one somewhere else to but I want everyone's insight. And added some more details.

. I've been have reoccurring dreams. In these dreams. Well different dreams but same figure. I'm being tortured or my dog (emotional support dog) is being hurt.

In the ones about me something awful happens to me. I'm being tortured. My arms chained above my head and as I look around I see a badly burned man man in all black with a black hat, sometimes a top hat sometimes a fedora. He just points at me with an evil smile. I can see his teeth through the burns on his face.

In the one about my dog we're in a field and somehow my dog gets hurt. I hear this evil...and I mean horribly evil laugh. I look up at its the same man. Pointing and laughing.

Then I'm tied to a chair in the middle of field. This man in black is torturing my dog. Then he lifts her up above my head and cuts her from her lower stomach up to her neck and I'm covered in her blood and insides. He places her on my lap and when I look up he points at me. Just stares and points with charred fingers. I'm screaming and sobbing.

these dreams start with my torture and end with the last one, my dogs death. Then they repeat. Every night

I lived with someone with post traumatic stress disorder.She had suffered traumatic events as a child. You mentioned in your other post you had been assaulted four times. I wonder if you have considered this or a form of it? There are treatments you could consider if this is the case..I wish you well LadyScorpio

Edited by khol
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LadyScorpio said:

Ok I posted this one somewhere else to but I want everyone's insight. And added some more details.

Hello and welcome to UM. 

We ask members not to post the same topic in more than one forum - Threads Merged.

12 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I see you edited your post there Papa. Fear mongering is deplorable. 

So is pretending you know for a absolute fact what sleep paralysis is. In this case though, its better she believe you.

The dreams are just dreams. Some seriously messed up dreams lol, but just dreams none the less.

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

So is pretending you know for a absolute fact what sleep paralysis is. In this case though, its better she believe you.

The dreams are just dreams. Some seriously messed up dreams lol, but just dreams none the less.

ah yes, I pretend, but you know. Got it. 

@khol yes I've been diagnosed ptsd. But my psychiatrist never mentioned treatment options as I'm on some medications for other issues like bi polar 2, severe excessive anxiety and generalized anxiety 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LadyScorpio said:

@khol yes I've been diagnosed ptsd. But my psychiatrist never mentioned treatment options as I'm on some medications for other issues like bi polar 2, severe excessive anxiety and generalized anxiety 

My diagnosis was depression and PTSD so it would not be the same treatment. It is possible that what they use to help you with the anxiety overlaps with the PTSD, but it would not hurt to ask so you are fully informed of what is available to you. For the PTSD I did spiritual work on my own which I later discovered basically is Jung's shadow work. You might enjoy reading up on some of that and perhaps it will help you to think of the darkness that way and reducing it. Talk with your doctor about this and these terrible dreams.

Like I told you, you are special and we need you around and smiling LS. You can do this and start kicking tails in your dreams too until they don't want to haunt your dreams so much :). You have so very much to offer other people who struggle with these same things.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LadyScorpio said:

My heart goes out to you LadyScorpio and also to you Not A Rockstar. We hear about first responders and war vets with this disorder. Don't get me wrong I respect these people immensley but we rarely hear of others who live with ptsd and have gotten it from other experiences. Many suffer alone and are unable or ashamed to share there ordeal. Believe me there are people out there who care like myself and can understand what you endure. 

from Rockstars post above

Like I told you, you are special and we need you around and smiling LS. You can do this and start kicking tails in your dreams too until they don't want to haunt your dreams so much :). You have so very much to offer other people who struggle with these same things.

well said

same to you Rockstar..we need you both smiling :)

Please take good care. There are many good things in this world. Search for these things. They are there

Khol

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 2:43 PM, Not A Rockstar said:

ah yes, I pretend, but you know. Got it. 

No I don’t. I’ve have many conversations with a lot of people here on this subject and my beef has always been with the dogmatic. On either side. 

We understand it on some level, but there are definitely aspects of it we don’t. That’s all I’ve ever said. 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 3:23 PM, LadyScorpio said:

. I've been have reoccurring dreams. In these dreams. Well different dreams but same figure. I'm being tortured or my dog (emotional support dog) is being hurt.

these dreams start with my torture and end with the last one, my dogs death. Then they repeat. Every night

Usually repeating dreams and nightmares are pointing to something your neglecting to address in daily life.

• Like 1

Yea I tend to pretend my problems aren't there. I'm working on fixing that but showing emotions in my family is a sign of weakness 

• Like 1

Dealing with the ptsd is difficult. I often find myself waking up with my hands on my door. Like I'm trying to keep it closed. I'm not sure if that's a flashback or what.

Just do a simple banishment. Something from your belief system, or the LBRP (you can find it on youtube). 

1 hour ago, LadyScorpio said:

Dealing with the ptsd is difficult. I often find myself waking up with my hands on my door. Like I'm trying to keep it closed. I'm not sure if that's a flashback or what.

Wow I can’t imagine. Have you tried any kind of daily meditation? I’ve seen really amazing results with it for things like depression and ptsd. Saw a documentary not long ago where they took 3 guys who had bad ptsd who had just served tours in the Middle East. In just 3 months they had all made dramatic improvements. 

I know it’s helped me a lot in other ways

• Like 1