Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Hebrew Research Center

Piney

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

Anybody know anything about this guy?  It doesn't look too "kosher" to me..

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/index.html

Your question prompted a brief inquiry. No credentials in the applicable field(s). Also:

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/ancientman/

Select "When did the First Civilizations Develop" and "Archaeological Cover-ups".

Edit: Punctuation error.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Swede said:

Your question prompted a brief inquiry. No credentials in the applicable field(s). Also:

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/ancientman/

Select "When did the First Civilizations Develop", and "Archaeological Cover-ups".

This is the "source" that lost child is posting in the other thread about Native Spirituality. I know my Biblical studies but nothing about the Hebrew language or writing. I'm looking for some clarification.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

This is the "source" that lost child is posting in the other thread about Native Spirituality. I know my Biblical studies but nothing about the Hebrew language or writing. I'm looking for some clarification.

My initial thoughts would be that one may wish to source a more qualified Jewish/Rabbinical theologian as a comparative.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

My initial thoughts would be that one may wish to source a more qualified Jewish/Rabbinical theologian as a comparative.

I've already found some good links debunking most of his "sources?".  But I want to put this abortion in it's pseudo-intellectual grave.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

I've already found some good links debunking most of his "sources?".  But I want to put this abortion in it's pseudo-intellectual grave.

Yes, constructive guidance would appear to be desirable.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Yes, constructive guidance would appear to be desirable.

The OP defended this using the "amateur" excuse.....and I'm lying about Native culture.....*sigh*

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Piney said:

The OP defended this using the "amateur" excuse.....and I'm lying about Native culture.....*sigh*

I have been following your argument with that individual. Unfortunately I think s/he is not all there in the head. All your hard work debunking will fall on deaf ears unfortunately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Piney said:

Anybody know anything about this guy?  It doesn't look too "kosher" to me..

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/index.html

Based on my own reading, there's some scholarship there but it's gone in the wrong direction.  The website's author has started with a conclusion and hunted facts to support it rather than the other way around.  The idea that the Bible was written in paleo-Hebrew isn't correct as far as I know it.  Judaism is not that old, for one thing.

He is making the old assumption that the way something is spelled is the way it is pronounced (see the confusion between "deer" and "oak" on his webpage.)  Yet there are countless examples of words in all languages that change the pronunciation (because of changes in root words) but are spelled the same.  "I can read the book" and "I have read the book" are two easy examples.   So the linguistic component is very weak here and is not reliable.

• Like 4

I agree with Danydandan's observation.

This fellow has zeal but is impressed by walls of words versus truth that speaks to the heart. Native American heritage and belief systems may resemble other ones, and vice versa, as we all tried to answer similar questions on the same world, however the NA system does not need to be linked with Israel's to somehow be more "real" or "old" or "special". 

It is beautiful on its own. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I agree with Danydandan's observation.

This fellow has zeal but is impressed by walls of words versus truth that speaks to the heart. Native American heritage and belief systems may resemble other ones, and vice versa, as we all tried to answer similar questions on the same world, however the NA system does not need to be linked with Israel's to somehow be more "real" or "old" or "special". 

It is beautiful on its own. 

Actually, they resemble each other only in very general ways.  There are a lot of nuances... or were.  After the forced Christianization and the era of the Ghost Dance, they often became a type of Christianity and old ways and some beliefs were rejected while others survived by word of mouth.  You have to look at them and regard their position in time.  They would resemble Judaeo-Christian concepts and beliefs much less the farther back in time you go.

One of the biggest differences is that there are spirits that are malign but there is no "devil" and hence no "Yahweh" type figure.  There are creator deities, but no eternal struggle between good and evil.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Actually, they resemble each other only in very general ways.  There are a lot of nuances... or were.  After the forced Christianization and the era of the Ghost Dance, they often became a type of Christianity and old ways and some beliefs were rejected while others survived by word of mouth.  You have to look at them and regard their position in time.  They would resemble Judaeo-Christian concepts and beliefs much less the farther back in time you go.

One of the biggest differences is that there are spirits that are malign but there is no "devil" and hence no "Yahweh" type figure.  There are creator deities, but no eternal struggle between good and evil.

Yes. It has resemblances, as I said. But, they cannot be lumped together because the differences are the reason they are not the same thing LOL.

This is ironically like the Vodou being lumped in as related to Catholicism. To let that stand unchallenged is to denigrate what your own religion has to offer and the history unique to it, IMO. But, that is not this topic. I just have a lot of empathy for Piney's position and his effort to fight the good fight.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Spirits are not good nor evil they just "are" and Kiitaaniituuit "Creation", the Living Universe is neither good nor evil but "Balance" because its not about good verses evil but the "Balance" which must be kept. Is the sum total of our belief.

• Like 2