Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eating Vegan Diet Promotes Masculinity

Almighty Evan

24 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

I'm in the middle of a mid-life dietary crisis, as it seems are most around me.  It's amazing how much information and understanding of diet has been lost from western culture in the pursuit of ever faster food and ever more profit.

Hopefully scientific study, education and a bit of legislation can get things back on track here because what breaks a potentially beautiful health care system is our own lack of physical care for ourselves and a poor diet.

I think mind centric culture hasn't helped either. We are an organism, not a brain in a body and each has tremendous affect on the other.

As a real herbalist I read all the recent medical studies and Harvard's recent studies on the function of the microbiom as a regulator for both immune and mental health are amazing. You literally are what you eat. Dr. Rutledge Ellis-Behnke's stuff is also amazing and I actually know him and discuss genetics and microbiology with him at every opportunity.

I always ate a natural diet. No processed or fast food. I'm 49 years old and in perfect shape and I don't work out. But I do a lot of physical labor and work outdoors.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Piney said:

As a real herbalist I read all the recent medical studies and Harvard's recent studies on the function of the microbiom as a regulator for both immune and mental health are amazing. You literally are what you eat.

Yes, we are. At this point I'm actually pleasantly surprised to find I am not an amorphous blob of fat moulded over my sofa cushions, considering the punishment I've given my gut :lol:.

This whole mind/body thing has been a (fairly) recent revelation for me (I'm a techie). It's also a great example of why i believe we really need science to help (re)educate those of us not brought up with such close affinity to nature nor cultural knowledge of medicine.

Not only that but we will soon by using quantum computing to understand such problems as protein folding in greater detail, paving the way for an explosive leap forward in understanding.

Edited by I'mConvinced
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

My gut is punishing me.:(

:( It sucks, it's why the change in diet for me. 

One piece of advice, that seems obvious in hindsight, is that consuming large quantities of Red Bull daily can lead to health problems. Hope yours is better soon, gnight fella.

6 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

:( It sucks, it's why the change in diet for me. 

One piece of advice, that seems obvious in hindsight, is that consuming large quantities of Red Bull daily can lead to health problems. Hope yours is better soon, gnight fella.

Mine will never be "better". I have diverticulitus. The same thing that killed my grandmother. Possible a gallbladder issue and potentially Crohn's. So yeah, my guts screwed. So I have to watch my diet carefully. I do think a lot of it had to do with energy drinks.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I do think a lot of it had to do with energy drinks.....

It did, They are notorious for tearing up your microbiom and digestive system.

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Mine will never be "better". I have diverticulitus. The same thing that killed my grandmother. Possible a gallbladder issue and potentially Crohn's. So yeah, my guts screwed. So I have to watch my diet carefully. I do think a lot of it had to do with energy drinks.....

They give me gout.  yet i drank 16 oz of red bull this morning.  

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Check out the SCD diet man, I've heard it helps to heal diverticulitis, Chron's, and IBS. Might be worth a shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WoIverine said:

Check out the SCD diet man, I've heard it helps to heal diverticulitis, Chron's, and IBS. Might be worth a shot.

It lessens the inflammation if you stay away from certain carbs. But won't heal it. Diverticulitis is pockets that food particles get trapped in and become inflamed. That doesn't heal.

The diet itself is under question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_carbohydrate_diet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moonman said:

We evolved while eating meat, completely eliminating it from ones diet is a bad idea.

I said this a few posts back...

• Like 1

I tried vegan, threw my labs all out of whack.  My doctor said to add fish or meat 3 times a week.  Went out and got a big old steak that day.   Everybody is different, your heritage plays a big roll in what diet is best for the individual. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I tried vegan, threw my labs all out of whack.  My doctor said to add fish or meat 3 times a week.  Went out and got a big old steak that day.   Everybody is different, your heritage plays a big roll in what diet is best for the individual. 

Genes. I thank my Anglo-Norse mother's genes every time I ate a big chunk of fresh soft goat cheese in front of my father and he got the farts just looking at it.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, travelnjones said:

He actually got fat being a vegan,

There are native cultures that have virtually zero access to protein and they have large protruding bellies. Also when folks starve this can happen as well. I forget why this is, I think basically it's carb overload so the body stores it as fat...or something. Also I know a gal who went vegan then quit because she said putting on her pants was like stuffing a sausage. 

18 hours ago, Piney said:

It did, They are notorious for tearing up your microbiom and digestive system.

I read a story a while back about this guy in England wanted to have energy drinks classified as drugs because they put him in the hospital. That being said the guy drank like 20 of them and stayed up all night DJing or something. His problem is with Darwin moreso than red bull.

EDIT: Found it

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/04/man-suffered-brain-haemorrhage-after-gulping-25-cans-of-energy-drink-in-six-hours-7286123/

Edited by internetperson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Red meat screws me over. I guess the grease does it. So I'm stuck eating fish, eggs, and chicken. I can't have anything fried or it's hell on my gut. Plus the problem with having a strict vegan diet is seeds. Anything that has seeds is off the menu and with nuts. I can have peanut butter, but peanuts, nope.

The worst effect that a vegan diet had on me was weakness, fatigue, and hunger. I don't get how people make a life of it.

• Like 1

The big thing for me is sugar. That is the worst thing ever. No matter how good a diet you've found, if you have any form of processed sugar in it, you're screwed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, internetperson said:

There are native cultures that have virtually zero access to protein and they have large protruding bellies. Also when folks starve this can happen as well. I forget why this is, I think basically it's carb overload so the body stores it as fat...or something. Also I know a gal who went vegan then quit because she said putting on her pants was like stuffing a sausage. 

.  Because of the lack of meat protein you cannot process carbs or use them. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2018 at 5:16 PM, Vlad the Mighty said:

I believe there have been scientific studies that have demonstrated that it does tend to promote the cultivation of trendy hipster-ish beards, like in the illustration.

Which are nearly as manly as sandals (worn with white socks)  :D  

• Like 1

I would love to eat nothing but grass.  Hmmm, lovely, succulent, green, grass, swaying in the breeze on a warm summer's day .....  There's so much of it and it just keeps on growing!

...... but if I ate nothing but grass I would die.

So I came up with a solution :)    I would get some sheep and cattle to eat the grass.    And then eat them instead.   Sometimes I even cook them first :D  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

The big thing for me is sugar. That is the worst thing ever. No matter how good a diet you've found, if you have any form of processed sugar in it, you're screwed. 

For me it is processed sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatoes, any of the simple carbs.  I do better if I stick to complex carbs and stay away from the middle of the store and the "convenience" foods.  It is just as easy to cook from scratch and eat real food.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, internetperson said:

well somewhere in my post is a pic of his progress.  It was bags of vegan treats he said.  he could always munch on something.  Vegan has been snackized!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travelnjones said:

well somewhere in my post is a pic of his progress.  It was bags of vegan treats he said.  he could always munch on something.  Vegan has been snackized!

My stepmother was friends with a Philly DJ that's a vegan and she always made fun of him because he was grossly obese and always ate cheese less pizza and potato chips. I always thought he was a schmuck.....

8 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

For me it is processed sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatoes, any of the simple carbs.  I do better if I stick to complex carbs and stay away from the middle of the store and the "convenience" foods.  It is just as easy to cook from scratch and eat real food.   

I lived off tuna and ramen when I was first diagnosed. As it was the only thing I could stomach without severe pain. I didn't bother with the favor packet. Those things will kill you. Then I found OMAD.