Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Birdseed Ruined by Treatment?

ouija ouija

:st Hi. I like to feed the wild birds that come to my garden and have recently become aware of seed being sold that claims not to grow if the seeds fall off the bird table onto the ground(which apparently annoys a lot of people!). This is my question: if the seeds have been treated so that they won't germinate and grow, surely the part of the seed that is most important to the bird has been killed off and no longer has any nutritional value? I've written to the R.S.P.B. about this but they didn't reply. I've googled it and can't find the information I'm looking for. Can anybody here help? 

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

:st Hi. I like to feed the wild birds that come to my garden and have recently become aware of seed being sold that claims not to grow if the seeds fall off the bird table onto the ground(which apparently annoys a lot of people!). This is my question: if the seeds have been treated so that they won't germinate and grow, surely the part of the seed that is most important to the bird has been killed off and no longer has any nutritional value? I've written to the R.S.P.B. about this but they didn't reply. I've googled it and can't find the information I'm looking for. Can anybody here help? 

The bird seed the boss uses around here has been treated too. I think it's slightly roasted which doesn't hurt the nutrition value of any seed or nut.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

(which apparently annoys a lot of people!)

You most definitely don't want thistle growing in your yard. They can grow to around three feet high and are very prickly.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michelle said:

You most definitely don't want thistle growing in your yard. They can grow to around three feet high and are very prickly.

and are very invasive.

We battle so many invasive species in the Pine Barrens it's starting to become a full scale war. 

• Like 2

I feed the wild birds the same as I do my canaries finches etc it may cost me a little more but I know it's safe they seem to like millet and foriegn finch mix best

• Like 2

I must admit I've given up with seed, it just costs too much and so much is wasted. I grow plants that have seeds and berries that the birds like, plus, I put out sultanas and peanuts and homemade bread with seeds in it. None of that gets wasted.  

• Like 2