Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat-Earther blasts off in homemade rocket

UM-Bot

10 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Growing number of flat earthers???? what in all that is holy is happening to our education systems??????

Liberalism is happening in our education systems.  Nuff said?

• Like 4

OMG! Seriously? He really believes the earth is flat? He's got to be joking and doing it for the attention.

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 3

Wouldn't it be easier and less risky to fly in a plane much higher than the couple of thousand feet that his rocket reached?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Noxasa said:

Liberalism is happening in our education systems.  Nuff said?

Or, for an alternative narrative, conservatives are underfunding it...?

Look, let's leave politics out of it, and focus on the words "growing number of flat earthers". Would anyone care to present evidence for that? Until then, it's just words.

In the meantime, I think the best thing to ask FE-ers is, "Why the heck would there be a conspiracy to pretend the Earth was a globe?" A coherent answer to this question would be nice, but frankly I'd be up for any answer whatsoever.

• Like 7

It's no wonder they call him mad Mike :rolleyes:..

• Like 4

Let's see here; someone dumb enough to believe the Earth is flat built himself a rocket and blasted off. Why does this seem like a really bad idea to me? 

• Like 4

I think it's great that there are people who continue to test the very basics of our knowledge which the most of us take for granted. Such people are very important, otherwise we're in risk of carelessly switching to wrong knowledge at some point, or our old principles won't work in new time, or something else - I don' know. It's also the problem of today's school education - only a bare minimum is shown practically, knowledge is just shoved into kids' heads with such a rapidity so it can barely be understood, not to say seen and proven properly. Science is tough and there's just too much to learn for an average human being, I am 36 and still learn and learn every day, and learning critical thinking and proving things to myself is not the lesser part of it. Then why not to neglect some higher math and detail the most important things as much as possible, the very basic natural science, show kids some real proofs? Does it really cost too much for every school to make a high-altitude balloon with a camera on it once a year?

Edited by Chaldon

Truthfully, if you've heard an interview with him, he does seem like a nice enough guy.  He probably should be allowed is eccentricities, he's not hurting anyone but himself and almost everyone would not consider him an authority in any scientific field.  Steam pressure as a mode of thrust is an 1800's technology, he's not really a rocket scientist.  More like a hobbyist. Let him be.

It's all talk for a flat earther. Let them go in space and come back with pictures of the earth shaped like a frisbee.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Noxasa said:

Truthfully, if you've heard an interview with him, he does seem like a nice enough guy.  He probably should be allowed is eccentricities, he's not hurting anyone but himself and almost everyone would not consider him an authority in any scientific field.  Steam pressure as a mode of thrust is an 1800's technology, he's not really a rocket scientist.  More like a hobbyist. Let him be.

What if he's a "liberal"?

29 minutes ago, DirtyDocMartens said:

What if he's a "liberal"?

He isn't.  He has a Faceook page (Madmikehughes)

Has some really cool pictures of the components and what he did.  At one point he does comment about the "indroctrination of public schools" and the "50 million people who actually voted for Hillary".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chaldon said:

I think it's great that there are people who continue to test the very basics of our knowledge which the most of us take for granted. Such people are very important, otherwise we're in risk of carelessly switching to wrong knowledge at some point, or our old principles won't work in new time, or something else - I don' know. It's also the problem of today's school education - only a bare minimum is shown practically, knowledge is just shoved into kids' heads with such a rapidity so it can barely be understood, not to say seen and proven properly. Science is tough and there's just too much to learn for an average human being, I am 36 and still learn and learn every day, and learning critical thinking and proving things to myself is not the lesser part of it. Then why not to neglect some higher math and detail the most important things as much as possible, the very basic natural science, show kids some real proofs? Does it really cost too much for every school to make a high-altitude balloon with a camera on it once a year?

A long, long, long time ago people noticed that when a ship sails away, it dips beneath the horizon. That is proof enough the surface of the Earth is not flat. Do we really still need to question that?

That said, I more and more hear the flat Earth brigade talking about the Earth being like a Frisbee rather than a disc. A Frisbee has a curved upper surface. Perhaps this new variation is so that they can explain why a ship dips beneath the horizon. They are a slippery bunch!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noxasa said:

Well, it's not like we can really outlaw being stupid. 

I mean...we could try, but it wouldn't work.

There probably are laws against launching yourself in a homemade rocket, though. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chaldon said:

At some point, in order to actually make progress, we have to agree on some basic things.

Stuff like this just takes us backwards. 

If you're still working on proving to yourself something the rest of the world already knows, then that's just a complete waste of time/money/effort, etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Well, it's not like we can really outlaw being stupid. 

I mean...we could try, but it wouldn't work.

We'd pretty much have to lock up the majority of the populace.

2 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

At some point, in order to actually make progress, we have to agree on some basic things.

No no no, everything must be tested over and over. At least by some fool. Otherwise you may not know that there's actually a badly rendered desert beyond your city. Remember the "13th Floor".

Like THIS - absolutely :D

3 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

A long, long, long time ago people noticed that when a ship sails away, it dips beneath the horizon. That is proof enough the surface of the Earth is not flat. Do we really still need to question that?

Well, I live too far from any sea or ocean to test it. :) Anyway I don't need an ocean to know the Earth is (roughly) spherical. I have a telescope and some brains in my head.

He is a bit silly for thinking the Earth is flat.., but the steam rocket is really cool.

Actually.., he says he doesn't know the Earth is flat.., but he wants to find out by looking first hand. That's kinda inspiring in a way regardless of me disagreeing with his Flat Earth hypothesis. Kinda like the peer-review process. Other scientists need to replicate the study to verify the conclusion.

Alternatively he could have looked up cartography but this is much cooler.

Edited by Fila

3 hours ago, Chaldon said:

Well, I live too far from any sea or ocean to test it. :) Anyway I don't need an ocean to know the Earth is (roughly) spherical. I have a telescope and some brains in my head.

Anyone living inland will have noticed how the stars all rotate around the pole star. If they travel north or south, they will see that the angle the pole star is above the horizon changes. This happens because the Earth is a sphere. Like you say, anyone with brains in their head knows the Earth is (roughly) spherical.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Katniss said:

OMG! Seriously? He really believes the earth is flat? He's got to be joking and doing it for the attention.

Naw, he doesn't believe. But the rubes who paid for it do. 

Hank

• Like 1

The funniest thing is there are buildings much taller than he flew. All he had to do was push an elevator button and then look out the window. But then the Glaziers are probably in on the conspiracy too.

Hank

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

If you're still working on proving to yourself something the rest of the world already knows, then that's just a complete waste of time/money/effort, etc. 

Something, something, turtle, something, elephants..... Psst. The turtle moves. :ph34r:

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

Let's hope the next time he falls off the edge!  That will teach him to doubt science fact!

Edited by kewlscot
  • Like 1