Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wild elephant 'smoking' caught on camera

Still Waters

An elephant in India seems to have a smoking habit. Conservation scientists spotted the pachyderm hoisting chunks of ashen wood into its mouth and then blowing out puffs of smoke.

"I believe the elephant may have been trying to ingest wood charcoal," Varun Goswami, Wildlife Conservation Society's (WCS) India program scientist and an elephant biologist, said in a statement. "She appeared to be picking up pieces from the forest floor, blowing away the ash that came along with it, and consuming the rest."

https://www.livescience.com/62105-smoking-breathing-elephant-explained.html

• Like 3

Maybe she likes a Cuban Cigar once in a while.:D

Really good for the stomach when eating toxic plants, helping digestion and getting rid of tannin,  monkey do it too.

• Like 4

Humans do it as well. The old fashion pills against bloating were charcoal.  Worked like magic. Amazing though that animals have know cure methods. True sign of intelligence. 

• Like 3

That’s just dust or Ash. Me thinks!

9 hours ago, Fila said:

My mother's pantry had a quart jar full of charcoal for intestinal troubles. This was in the sixties. I don't know if it was a placebo effect or not, but it sure seem to work for my five brothers and I. 

Hank

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...