Jump to content
Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Rummage

What is religion

44 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Rummage

No I dont believe in jesus christ  bad **** hapoens

I dont believe in any religion 

I only believe you can change who I am 

What is it about me what makes me think the picture is bigger then my perception is 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clockwork_Spirit
Posted (edited)

Well, good for you. But I think you're wrong.

The case for christianity has never been stronger.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMPD1

Religion (of any flavor or creed) is one man's (or group of men) attempt to convince the populace that they know what god wants.

As far as I'm concerned, 'religion' is the world's oldest profession, rather than prostitution, although the two do share a lot of  common traits.

 

And at least prostitution offers fair value for your money, and is a more honest business

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MysticWolf
On 3/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Well, good for you. But I think you're wrong.

The case for christianity has never been stronger.

I hope "the case" is more than "might in numbers".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8

Religion is a ritual habit, I shave religiously.

jmccr8

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmccr8
Just now, I'mConvinced said:

I lost my faith in shaving and converted to Beardism. 

:lol: athiest

jmccr8

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMPD1
10 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

I lost my faith in shaving and converted to Beardism. 

Heretic! If god had wanted us hairy she would have..... ah hel, never mind. :wacko:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
14 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

:lol: athiest

jmccr8

Nope, he's a beardthiest.:lol:

I have no idea what the real topic of this thread is.:huh:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Posted (edited)

In honor of my lack of knowledge and purpose.

Religion_what_is-religion.JPG

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nephili
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

 

The case for christianity has never been stronger.

How so?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Podo

Religion is early humanity's attempt to understand that which they could not. Lightning, rainstorms, droughts, disease; all of these things were impossible to understand without more advanced tools. So, people made up mythologies to explain such things. The case for religions has never been weaker than it is right now, as we consistently prove them both wrong and superfluous.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grandpa Greenman

A method of controlling masses.   

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scudbuster
On 3/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Well, good for you. But I think you're wrong.

The case for christianity has never been stronger.

I think this covers the "real case" for Christianity rather well:

Alan Harvey Saying.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
2 hours ago, Podo said:

Religion is early humanity's attempt to understand that which they could not. Lightning, rainstorms, droughts, disease; all of these things were impossible to understand without more advanced tools. So, people made up mythologies to explain such things. The case for religions has never been weaker than it is right now, as we consistently prove them both wrong and superfluous.

I think this might be a tad misleading. The god's were created by people to explain natural phenomena. The someone organized it, created rules and regulations. Taking a simple belief and turning it into a spiritual government for controlling the masses. Through both superstition and fear. Because it's easier to rally a group of fearful people behind the will of a god rather than a man. Especially if they've been deeply indoctrinated into it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
4 hours ago, nephili said:

"God" is love

If god was actually love. Not only would it be a chemical reaction in the brain, but a simple idea to follow. There would be no need for religion. If they choose to live by love, then they are doing the true will of 'god'. This is just an idea. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clockwork_Spirit
Posted (edited)
On 28/03/2018 at 10:50 AM, MysticWolf said:

I hope "the case" is more than "might in numbers".

We live in a individualistic, self-centered society. The Christ philosophy has never been more relevant for people who want to make a difference, offer their lives in the service of others. Whether some people understand and apply these values outside the Church is not important IMO.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
psyche101
On 30/03/2018 at 2:34 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

We live in a individualistic, self-centered society. The Christ philosophy has never been more relevant for people who want to make a difference, offer their lives in the service of others. Whether some people understand and apply these values outside the Church is not important IMO.

The people making advances in education and medicine are not quoting the bible. People flying planes into buildings are. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Likely Guy

Religion is a 'comfort zone' for some people and I'll never begrudge them that.

I'm an apatheist and couldn't care less about people's beliefs nor in the existence of God.

For some, it provides them with comfort and guidance. Who am I to judge?

God is ephemeral, good people aren't.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davros of skaro
On 3/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Well, good for you. But I think you're wrong.

The case for christianity has never been stronger.

tenor.gif?itemid=8100811

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'mConvinced

What is religion?

1. Increasingly unnecessary due to understanding and education. Society functions fine without it.

2. Mostly archaic or modern day crackpot - nothing supernatural, just a bunch of people making up reasons for others to do stuff.

3. Untestable and ephemeral - deliberately so, when proven incorrect 'its just a metaphor', yet when shown to be right it's the 'exact words of God'.

4. Contentious - Too many faiths, too many contradictions between them and too many people assuming their version is correct to ever be anything but.

5. Dangerous - Many an atrocity on Earth can be attributed to those seeking rewards in the afterlife.

6. Disruptive - Stops certain technological & medical advancement because 'you shouldn't play God'.

7. Reinforces egocentric behaviour. Help me God, listen to me and help those other people God, rearrange the universe to suit me God because I say prayers to you. 

I'm sure I missed some but that's the general gist of it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davros of skaro
1 hour ago, I'mConvinced said:

What is religion?

1. Increasingly unnecessary due to understanding and education. Society functions fine without it.

2. Mostly archaic or modern day crackpot - nothing supernatural, just a bunch of people making up reasons for others to do stuff.

3. Untestable and ephemeral - deliberately so, when proven incorrect 'its just a metaphor', yet when shown to be right it's the 'exact words of God'.

4. Contentious - Too many faiths, too many contradictions between them and too many people assuming their version is correct to ever be anything but.

5. Dangerous - Many an atrocity on Earth can be attributed to those seeking rewards in the afterlife.

6. Disruptive - Stops certain technological & medical advancement because 'you shouldn't play God'.

7. Reinforces egocentric behaviour. Help me God, listen to me and help those other people God, rearrange the universe to suit me God because I say prayers to you. 

I'm sure I missed some but that's the general gist of it.

Who says my observance of eating Hostess Cup Cakes frosted chocolate cake with creamy filling with the original Squiggle is not a worthy Religion in these bedlam times?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'mConvinced
9 minutes ago, davros of skaro said:

Who says my observance of eating Hostess Cup Cakes frosted chocolate cake with creamy filling with the original Squiggle is not a worthy Religion in these bedlam times?

No one, no one at all...

*Gently presses the button that activates his Killacult9000 destructobot*

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
davros of skaro
25 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

No one, no one at all...

*Gently presses the button that activates his Killacult9000 destructobot*

 

1 Samuel 1:3b

"3b Now this man used to go up year by year from his town to worship and to sacrifice to the LORD of Hostess at Shiloh,"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.