Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is religion

Rummage

4 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

*Relentless trundling, grinding, slicing noise that appears to be getting closer*

That's just the good news coming your way.

• Like 4

Religion is basically a cult with a bigger following. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2018 at 2:04 PM, XenoFish said:

I think this might be a tad misleading. The god's were created by people to explain natural phenomena. The someone organized it, created rules and regulations. Taking a simple belief and turning it into a spiritual government for controlling the masses. Through both superstition and fear. Because it's easier to rally a group of fearful people behind the will of a god rather than a man. Especially if they've been deeply indoctrinated into it.

Fair, yeah, it's the organized aspect that is the threatening part.

• Like 5

Religions are the codification of personal individual beliefs into a standardised set of group beliefs, rules and laws.

it s the difference between going out and having a kick of the footy with friends, or even by yourself,  and signing up to play with a competitive team, in a sport  bound by rules penalties etc or becoming a paid up team supporter with all the colours, gear and paraphernalia.. 

if you want to know why anyone would join a religion, ask yourself why people join sporting teams, as players or supporters. 

Edited by Mr Walker

On 02/04/2018 at 10:26 PM, Scudbuster said:

Oh yea, like it really has some true meaningful significance in the grand scheme of things......

God.... and his galaxy?.jpg

Are you acting under the assumption that Christianity teaches that only humans are the chosen people of god?  Biblically, we are the lost sheep, requiring extra care and work from god,  while all the other civilizations remain safely in the fold, having chosen to remain with the shepherd.  

1 hour ago, Scudbuster said:

Anyone that follows the bible is truly lost - its just a collection of stories, legends, fables, misogyny, slavery, etc. It was put together by those very fearful of the unknown and deep in a vacuum of scientific knowledge.........matter of fact, there was none. It should have been retired into the dustbins of history a long time ago. 

And yet, using a combination of biblical wisdoms, humanist principles, and common sense, I have lived a life of many decades without fear, hate, anger.   Without depression,  anxiety, loneliness. In symbiosis with my society and physical environment and with all my physical and emotional/psychologically needs completely met.

Becsue human minds are capable of knowing and questioning, they require knowledge and answers.  Science does not provide all the answers  that humans ask of themselves,   such,as what is my purpose in life who should i chose to be what are my duties and responsibility as a self aware and powerful being on this planet.  

A life filled with love joy happiness respect and content   The secret is understanding the true nature of life, self, and the universe.

That all we have and all happiness or grief comes from within us, not from outside, and that thus  fears, anger ,love, hate,  and compassion are nothing but constructs we build and hold onto.

it is not the material world but the world of our spirit and mind which  guides us

I understand what you are saying but it is too simplistic and  often untrue. For at least a millennia, western civilization, and much of the world has be based upon christian values and teachings These have their failings but have worked for the benefit of many 

2 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

Anyone that follows the bible is truly lost - its just a collection of stories, legends, fables, misogyny, slavery, etc. It was put together by those very fearful of the unknown and deep in a vacuum of scientific knowledge.........matter of fact, there was none. It should have been retired into the dustbins of history a long time ago. 

What do you think about the bible's first philosophical question?/ Which is more important to humans; wisdom or knowledge?  Can humans live happily safely and productively in a materialistic society with all their physical needs met OR do we require the needs generated by our self awareness of life, our own nature and drives  etc., to be met ,in order to be happy and psychologically well? 

2 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

Hey Mr. Walker - let me expand a bit on my thoughts. Those folks back then, the ones that contributed to the bible, these individuals IMO were not dumb or anything of that nature. They certainly provided some savvy and sage advice in their writings when it came to human nature and behavior. What they totally lacked (through no fault of their own) was any ability to make observations,  collect information, and make any scientific judgements based on these activities.  Therefore, they had to fill in the holes with their own imagination and personal desires for the world to be what they wanted to to be. I don't fault them for that, they did the best they could to explain everything with what little they had. And again, I think they had some sound observations about human behavior.....but that came from what was observed here on terra firma, and what took place/is taking place out there in the universe, well that's a whole other story. 

IMO they had those abilities which are available to all humans.  What they lacked was the basic background knowledge or data about things which modern men take for granted.

We learn from the past via others, books, etc And every modern person is taught facts and knowledge.

Our minds are no difernt to those ancients. it is just that we have data to build upon Take a modern child and bring it up without knowledge and it will see the world through its own mind just as those people did, and construct its own understandings  When you lack data, rational thinking and logic cannot provide accurate factual answers. Science and technologies have slowly built up our current knowledge and data about our world which enable us to use logic and rational thinking to find more accurate answers 

On 3/25/2018 at 9:21 PM, Rummage said:

I only believe you can change who I am 

What?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 12:46 AM, Mr Walker said:

if you want to know why anyone would join a religion, ask yourself why people join sporting teams, as players or supporters. 

And gangs......

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Exactly- back then, they knew nothing from an observational/scientific standpoint- so they filled in the gaps with their own wild suppositions, imaginations, and fantasies. I'm not faulting them, I would probably have done the same thing. But that's why the stories from back then should have died out a long, long, time ago.

And a lot of people still do fill in the gaps, seeming to find some kind of comfort and solace in ideas that have no basis in fact.

It often seems that for every one person who sees/hears/experiences something they don't understand (and seek to find answers), there are ten who  cry out: "Ohmagerd! Aliens! Angels! Ghosts! God!" as the only possible solution without even glancing at a more rational or logical cause. 

If one is predisposed to accept the highly unlikely, other more mundane solutions will be rejected.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All human born to choose, not stuck up
"Dr. Froylan Alvarado Guemez Pierre Teilhard de Chardin of the Jesuit order.
Born in Orcines, on May 1, 1881 and died in New York on April 10, 1995. It was the French theologian, philosopher & paleontologist who built an integrated vision of science and mysticism with his thought; of the evolution of spirit and thought.
25aa.png Religion is not just one, there are hundreds.
25aa.png Spirituality is one.
25aa.png Religion is for those who sleep.
25aa.png Spirituality is for those who are awake.
25aa.png Religion is for those who need someone to tell them what to do and want to be guided.
25aa.png Spirituality is for those who pay attention to their inner voice.
25aa.png Religion has a set of dogmatic rules.
25aa.png Spirituality invites us to reason about everything, to question everything.
25aa.png Religion threatens and frightens.
25aa.png Spirituality gives inner peace.
25aa.png Religion speaks of sin and guilt.
25aa.png Spirituality says, "learn from error".
25aa.png Religion represses everything and in some cases it is false.
25aa.png Spirituality transcends everything, it brings you closer to your truth!
25aa.png Religion speaks of a god; It is not God.
25aa.png Spirituality is everything and, therefore, it is in God.
25aa.png Religion invents.
25aa.pngSpirituality finds.
25aa.png Religion does not tolerate any question.
25aa.pngSpirituality questions everything.
25aa.png Religion is human, it is an organization with men's rules.
25aa.png Spirituality is Divine, without human rules.
25aa.png Religion is the cause of divisions.
25aa.pngThe spirituality unites.
25aa.png Religion is looking for you to believe.
25aa.png Spirituality you have to look for it to believe.
25aa.png Religion follows the precepts of a sacred book.
25aa.png Spirituality seeks the sacred in all books.
25aa.png Religion feeds on fear.
25aa.png Spirituality feeds on trust and faith.
25aa.png Religion lives in thought.
25aa.png Spirituality lives in Consciousness.
25aa.png Religion deals with doing.
25aa.png Spirituality has to do with the Self.
25aa.png Religion feeds the ego.
25aa.png Spirituality drives to transcend.
25aa.png Religion makes us renounce the world to follow a god.
25aa.png Spirituality makes us live in God, without renouncing us.
25aa.png Religion is a cult.
25aa.png Spirituality is meditation.
25aa.png Religion fills us with dreams of glory in paradise.
25aa.png Spirituality makes us live the glory and paradise here and now.
25aa.png Religion lives in the past and in the future.
25aa.png Spirituality lives in the present.
25aa.png Religion creates cloisters in our memory.
25aa.png Spirituality liberates our Consciousness.
25aa.png Religion makes us believe in eternal life.
25aa.png Spirituality makes us aware of Eternal Life.
25aa.png Religion promises life after death.
25aa.png Spirituality is to find God in our interior during life and death.
-We are not human beings who go through a spiritual experience.-
-We are spiritual beings that we go through a human experience.-"
In the end choose be slave or
freedom, simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, DRAGYN RAKEN said:

All human born to choose, not stuck up
"Dr. Froylan Alvarado Guemez Pierre Teilhard de Chardin of the Jesuit order.
Born in Orcines, on May 1, 1881 and died in New York on April 10, 1995. It was the French theologian, philosopher & paleontologist who built an integrated vision of science and mysticism with his thought; of the evolution of spirit and thought.
25aa.png Religion is not just one, there are hundreds.
25aa.png Spirituality is one.
25aa.png Religion is for those who sleep.
25aa.png Spirituality is for those who are awake.
25aa.png Religion is for those who need someone to tell them what to do and want to be guided.
25aa.png Spirituality is for those who pay attention to their inner voice.
25aa.png Religion has a set of dogmatic rules.
25aa.png Spirituality invites us to reason about everything, to question everything.
25aa.png Religion threatens and frightens.
25aa.png Spirituality gives inner peace.
25aa.png Religion speaks of sin and guilt.
25aa.png Spirituality says, "learn from error".
25aa.png Religion represses everything and in some cases it is false.
25aa.png Spirituality transcends everything, it brings you closer to your truth!
25aa.png Religion speaks of a god; It is not God.
25aa.png Spirituality is everything and, therefore, it is in God.
25aa.png Religion invents.
25aa.pngSpirituality finds.
25aa.png Religion does not tolerate any question.
25aa.pngSpirituality questions everything.
25aa.png Religion is human, it is an organization with men's rules.
25aa.png Spirituality is Divine, without human rules.
25aa.png Religion is the cause of divisions.
25aa.pngThe spirituality unites.
25aa.png Religion is looking for you to believe.
25aa.png Spirituality you have to look for it to believe.
25aa.png Religion follows the precepts of a sacred book.
25aa.png Spirituality seeks the sacred in all books.
25aa.png Religion feeds on fear.
25aa.png Spirituality feeds on trust and faith.
25aa.png Religion lives in thought.
25aa.png Spirituality lives in Consciousness.
25aa.png Religion deals with doing.
25aa.png Spirituality has to do with the Self.
25aa.png Religion feeds the ego.
25aa.png Spirituality drives to transcend.
25aa.png Religion makes us renounce the world to follow a god.
25aa.png Spirituality makes us live in God, without renouncing us.
25aa.png Religion is a cult.
25aa.png Spirituality is meditation.
25aa.png Religion fills us with dreams of glory in paradise.
25aa.png Spirituality makes us live the glory and paradise here and now.
25aa.png Religion lives in the past and in the future.
25aa.png Spirituality lives in the present.
25aa.png Religion creates cloisters in our memory.
25aa.png Spirituality liberates our Consciousness.
25aa.png Religion makes us believe in eternal life.
25aa.png Spirituality makes us aware of Eternal Life.
25aa.png Religion promises life after death.
25aa.png Spirituality is to find God in our interior during life and death.
-We are not human beings who go through a spiritual experience.-
-We are spiritual beings that we go through a human experience.-"
In the end choose be slave or
freedom, simple.

?????????????????????????

I can't make heads nor tales of this. It just seems like a theist who thinks he's somehow transcended other theists.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

George Carlin summed religion up perfectly in this quote ...

"“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!"

The most advaced cilvilization that ever occupied this planet, the Ancient Egyptians, did not have a word for religion.

19 minutes ago, JamieDarke said:

George Carlin summed religion up perfectly in this quote ...

"“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!"

The most advaced cilvilization that ever occupied this planet, the Ancient Egyptians, did not have a word for religion.

Eh most advanced? How so, and in what way?

Explain Ra, Amun and Isis. Then later Aten?

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 8:23 PM, danydandan said:

Eh most advanced? How so, and in what way?

Explain Ra, Amun and Isis. Then later Aten?

Ah citizen DanDanDan ... The pyramids for staters dude. I know  and understand why it is difficult for believers to doubt what is written in their bible and I sympathise with you. I will explain Ra, Amun, Isis and Amen if you first  explain the Christian doctrine of the Trinity which hold that your god is three persons. The father, the son and the holy spirit. One god in three divine persons. Wow ... far out man!

I'm sure you can do it.

9 minutes ago, JamieDarke said:

Ah citizen DanDanDan ... The pyramids for staters dude. I know  and understand why it is difficult for believers to doubt what is written in their bible and I sympathise with you. I will explain Ra, Amun, Isis and Amen if you first  explain the Christian doctrine of the Trinity which hold that your god is three persons. The father, the son and the holy spirit. One god in three divine persons. Wow ... far out man!

I'm sure you can do it.

Ever hear the line "assumptions are the mother of all **** ups?"

I'm not religious. I'm Agnostic so I can't explain God to anyone as I don't know anything about God.

Have you been to the pyramids? I have, they are epic from a long distance but up close they are nothing an advantaged civilisation should be proud of other than their sheer size. Ever been to New York? Now that amazing no matter where to stand. Ever heard of the Panama canal I doubt the ancient Egyptians would be able to build that

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

My assumption was based on your signature quotes. Also that in Ireland people are usually either Catholic or Protestant.  My mistake and I tender an apology for my "mother of all ...ups."

Have a nice day!

4 minutes ago, JamieDarke said:

My assumption was based on your signature quotes. Also that in Ireland people are usually either Catholic or Protestant.  My mistake and I tender an apology for my "mother of all ...ups."

Have a nice day!

So your not going to explain why you think a civilisation that existed nearly 5000 years ago are more advanced than where we are now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

So your not going to explain why you think a civilisation that existed nearly 5000 years ago are more advanced than where we are now?

It's just all so romantical.            

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It's just all so romantical.            

Newgrange is amazing.

Just now, danydandan said:

Newgrange is amazing.

My personal opinion is that Ireland and Southern England is the Celtic heartland and that the Celts spread from west to east. Ancient are those lands.

24 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

My personal opinion is that Ireland and Southern England is the Celtic heartland and that the Celts spread from west to east. Ancient are those lands.

There was an article I read awhile ago from a professor in Trinity college that suggests that Tara, or The Hill of Tara was the epicenter for the Celtic kingdom so to speak. He suggested that if you took a map of the ancient Celtic kingdom and turned it 90 degrees that Tara is in it's centre, which I found interesting. The Hill of Tara is where the ancient kings of Eire sat before and after the Celts. Newgrange is a stones throw away from The Hill of Tara and so in Knowth and other important Celtic sites. The Boyne Valley is ripe with History, you can forget about Ancient Egypt, Ancient Ireland is more interesting and with the ancient east and atllantic way being to prominent it's leading to more discoveries.

http://www.megalithicireland.com/Caherlehillan Early Christian Site.html

https://mythicalireland.com/ancient-sites/the-hill-of-tara-teamhair/

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

The Celts also had ocean-going ships of surprising sophistication, long before the Mediterranean peoples ventured out beyond the Pillars of Hercules.                                                              http://dark-age-boats.co.uk/britishromanboats.php

• Like 1