Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is religion

Rummage

No I dont believe in jesus christ  bad **** hapoens

I dont believe in any religion 

I only believe you can change who I am 

What is it about me what makes me think the picture is bigger then my perception is 

Well, good for you. But I think you're wrong.

The case for christianity has never been stronger.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Thanks 1

Religion (of any flavor or creed) is one man's (or group of men) attempt to convince the populace that they know what god wants.

As far as I'm concerned, 'religion' is the world's oldest profession, rather than prostitution, although the two do share a lot of  common traits.

And at least prostitution offers fair value for your money, and is a more honest business

• Like 5

On 3/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

I hope "the case" is more than "might in numbers".

10 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

I lost my faith in shaving and converted to Beardism. 

Heretic! If god had wanted us hairy she would have..... ah hel, never mind. :wacko:

• Like 6

14 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

:lol: athiest

jmccr8

Nope, he's a beardthiest.:lol:

I have no idea what the real topic of this thread is.:huh:

• Like 6

Religion is a control method very similar to the Santa Claus reward/punishment system, but it's aimed at gullible adults instead of children. Do as you are told you get the reward(heaven). Disobey and you get the lumps of coal(hell). Parents walk their kids into church and by time the Santa story loses its luster, the kids are getting baptized and taking communion. Never question. Just have obedience and blind faith.

They don't really teach much about "God", just parables and moral guidelines according to them. "God" is love, now drink this symbolic blood and give us your money.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 9

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:48 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

How so?

• Like 2

Religion is early humanity's attempt to understand that which they could not. Lightning, rainstorms, droughts, disease; all of these things were impossible to understand without more advanced tools. So, people made up mythologies to explain such things. The case for religions has never been weaker than it is right now, as we consistently prove them both wrong and superfluous.

• Like 6

A method of controlling masses.   

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Podo said:

Religion is early humanity's attempt to understand that which they could not. Lightning, rainstorms, droughts, disease; all of these things were impossible to understand without more advanced tools. So, people made up mythologies to explain such things. The case for religions has never been weaker than it is right now, as we consistently prove them both wrong and superfluous.

I think this might be a tad misleading. The god's were created by people to explain natural phenomena. The someone organized it, created rules and regulations. Taking a simple belief and turning it into a spiritual government for controlling the masses. Through both superstition and fear. Because it's easier to rally a group of fearful people behind the will of a god rather than a man. Especially if they've been deeply indoctrinated into it.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, nephili said:

"God" is love

If god was actually love. Not only would it be a chemical reaction in the brain, but a simple idea to follow. There would be no need for religion. If they choose to live by love, then they are doing the true will of 'god'. This is just an idea. 

• Like 4

On 28/03/2018 at 10:50 AM, MysticWolf said:

I hope "the case" is more than "might in numbers".

We live in a individualistic, self-centered society. The Christ philosophy has never been more relevant for people who want to make a difference, offer their lives in the service of others. Whether some people understand and apply these values outside the Church is not important IMO.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 1

On 30/03/2018 at 2:34 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

We live in a individualistic, self-centered society. The Christ philosophy has never been more relevant for people who want to make a difference, offer their lives in the service of others. Whether some people understand and apply these values outside the Church is not important IMO.

The people making advances in education and medicine are not quoting the bible. People flying planes into buildings are. 

• Like 3

Religion is a 'comfort zone' for some people and I'll never begrudge them that.

I'm an apatheist and couldn't care less about people's beliefs nor in the existence of God.

For some, it provides them with comfort and guidance. Who am I to judge?

God is ephemeral, good people aren't.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8100811

• Like 5

What is religion?

1. Increasingly unnecessary due to understanding and education. Society functions fine without it.

2. Mostly archaic or modern day crackpot - nothing supernatural, just a bunch of people making up reasons for others to do stuff.

3. Untestable and ephemeral - deliberately so, when proven incorrect 'its just a metaphor', yet when shown to be right it's the 'exact words of God'.

4. Contentious - Too many faiths, too many contradictions between them and too many people assuming their version is correct to ever be anything but.

5. Dangerous - Many an atrocity on Earth can be attributed to those seeking rewards in the afterlife.

6. Disruptive - Stops certain technological & medical advancement because 'you shouldn't play God'.

7. Reinforces egocentric behaviour. Help me God, listen to me and help those other people God, rearrange the universe to suit me God because I say prayers to you. 

I'm sure I missed some but that's the general gist of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, I'mConvinced said:

What is religion?

1. Increasingly unnecessary due to understanding and education. Society functions fine without it.

2. Mostly archaic or modern day crackpot - nothing supernatural, just a bunch of people making up reasons for others to do stuff.

3. Untestable and ephemeral - deliberately so, when proven incorrect 'its just a metaphor', yet when shown to be right it's the 'exact words of God'.

4. Contentious - Too many faiths, too many contradictions between them and too many people assuming their version is correct to ever be anything but.

5. Dangerous - Many an atrocity on Earth can be attributed to those seeking rewards in the afterlife.

6. Disruptive - Stops certain technological & medical advancement because 'you shouldn't play God'.

7. Reinforces egocentric behaviour. Help me God, listen to me and help those other people God, rearrange the universe to suit me God because I say prayers to you. 

I'm sure I missed some but that's the general gist of it.

Who says my observance of eating Hostess Cup Cakes frosted chocolate cake with creamy filling with the original Squiggle is not a worthy Religion in these bedlam times?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, davros of skaro said:

Who says my observance of eating Hostess Cup Cakes frosted chocolate cake with creamy filling with the original Squiggle is not a worthy Religion in these bedlam times?

No one, no one at all...

*Gently presses the button that activates his Killacult9000 destructobot*

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

No one, no one at all...

*Gently presses the button that activates his Killacult9000 destructobot*

1 Samuel 1:3b

"3b Now this man used to go up year by year from his town to worship and to sacrifice to the LORD of Hostess at Shiloh,"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, davros of skaro said:

1 Samuel 1:3b

"3b Now this man used to go up year by year from his town to worship and to sacrifice to the LORD of Hostess at Shiloh,"

*Relentless trundling, grinding, slicing noise that appears to be getting closer*

• Like 4