Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An experiment...

Ufo_Guy

Alright so to start of, I'm not as ignorent as I used to be a a child. Long ago I came across empathy and had a particular interest in it. It's been too long to remember if it was just my child like desire to be different or whatever but I remember believing that I had this ability.

Fast forward to today. Lately I have been having a specific thought come into my head after years of not thinking about it that empathy could be one reason with my crippling depression and anxiety. I think this might, possibly, have an event because it seems to get worse when I'm surrounded by someone having a fit, such as my wife.

Now to my experiment. I'm just as skeptical as anyone do I don't want people giving advice unless they are willing to help, o don't need more skeptics. I need some way for me to know if that it's possible that empathy is contributing to my depression. So I'm asking for ideas on how I can separate my own emotions from others to see if my plight improves. Any other advice on controlling empathy is also welcome, thanks 

• Like 1

With power comes responsibility. We suppose to show empathy towards each other in everything we do. It is a virtue afterall. The fact it comes with depressions and all the drama is because you expect the same to be returned to you. You would feel so much much better if you continue to display this quality while minimizing expectation in return.

• Like 1

With power comes responsibility. We suppose to show empathy towards each other in everything we do. It is a virtue afterall. The fact it comes with depressions and all the drama is because you expect the same to be returned to you. You would feel so much much better if you continue to exhibit characteristics, unconditional.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Anxiety_Potato said:

Now to my experiment. I'm just as skeptical as anyone do I don't want people giving advice unless they are willing to help, o don't need more skeptics. I need some way for me to know if that it's possible that empathy is contributing to my depression. So I'm asking for ideas on how I can separate my own emotions from others to see if my plight improves. Any other advice on controlling empathy is also welcome, thanks 

Emotions are the energy of thought. Energy follows thought. Powerful thoughts that repeat and repeat and repeat summon powerful Energy. Once you understand this at a fundamental level you can become more mindful of thoughts and how it is us entertaining them that can breed positive or negative energy in our lives..

So, yeah, If I were you I'd start with thoughts, what they are, how to control them, how to use the Mental Laws to clean up the energy in your life.

Here's a good place to start. http://barbaraberger.typepad.com/10_mental_laws_mental_technology.pdf

• Like 1

Superior advice already given. It comes to me to add the need to love yourself just enough to find balance with the outgo. 

This will help with the depression as you work with letting go of the negative sludge that can build up.

Peace.

People need to be careful when offering advice on depression. There can be many causes and as someone who suffered (and it really is suffering) 30 years of clinical depression I can tell you it is important to rule out a neurochemical disorder.

Keep heart and know that depression is curable. You have already taken one of the hardest steps and recognised that you have it, many never get that far.  The most important thing now is for you to try and identify the source and you should definitely seek medical advice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 8:58 PM, Anxiety_Potato said:

Alright so to start of, I'm not as ignorent as I used to be a a child. Long ago I came across empathy and had a particular interest in it. It's been too long to remember if it was just my child like desire to be different or whatever but I remember believing that I had this ability.

Fast forward to today. Lately I have been having a specific thought come into my head after years of not thinking about it that empathy could be one reason with my crippling depression and anxiety. I think this might, possibly, have an event because it seems to get worse when I'm surrounded by someone having a fit, such as my wife.

Well I'll just let you know that you're not alone.  Sometimes I get such strong impressions from others that I break out into a cold sweat. 

I'll give you a more mundane example of "overbleed" from other's thoughts.  Just last week for some reason the odd idea popped into my head to plant tomatoes very early in my region.  Just stupidly early really, early April while frost dangers still linger.  I thought "wow, all my gardener friends will think I've finally lost it".  But for some reason I remained determined, and planned to go out and plant tomatoes in the next couple of days.  The very next day I went to a friend's house who also is an avid local gardener.  As I approached the door, right out front, in a pot that I'd given them a plant in last season, was a very healthy looking...tomato plant!  This friend would NEVER make the 'mistake' of planting a tomato so early.  Turns out this friend had been thinking the same weird thought I had been thinking the day before 'sure, why not try stupidly early tomatoes this year' as an experiment.

I could go on and on with examples like this that range from the mundane to deep and sometimes scary emotions.  My rule of thumb is if a very odd idea or emotion suddenly pops in on you with no logic to explain it, then it may be overbleed.  Sifting out what is what is an art form.  When it comes to emotions what happens to me is this sudden imposition is usually accompanied, like I said, by a cold sweat and just a feeling that it's coming from without.  When this happens, try this: Calm your mind right away and without prejudice, say to yourself " this MAY not be coming from me".  Then gently let your mind wander and try to see if a face or a name appears to you.  Sometimes when I do this, I see the person's face or just feel a signature impression of their personality, if that makes sense?  Above all, don't panic or invest in the emotion.  Just relax and let it wash by you without assuming it's your own right away. 

And all that being said, when it comes to depression in general, try this:  Whenever you're feeling low, force yourself to acknowledge between 5-10 things in the day or week before that are positive and good.  Say to yourself '#1 is...#2 is..."  Actually number them out.  When you catch yourself sinking low again, repeat the exercise as often as needed.  It's as good as a back rub or a cup of chamomile tea.  Also, use lavender oil or flowers crushed and rubbed under your nose.  Or any appealing aromatic.  Smells can really go deep into your brain to jog and fix good memories and feeling of happiness via association.

Edited by SSilhouette

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, Anxiety_Potato said:

You have the ability to put yourself in someone else's position? An ability that most other people have. Perhaps you don't know what empathy is?

On 3/30/2018 at 9:37 AM, I'mConvinced said:

People need to be careful when offering advice on depression. There can be many causes and as someone who suffered (and it really is suffering) 30 years of clinical depression I can tell you it is important to rule out a neurochemical disorder.

Keep heart and know that depression is curable. You have already taken one of the hardest steps and recognised that you have it, many never get that far.  The most important thing now is for you to try and identify the source and you should definitely seek medical advice.

+1   Thank you for saying it.  It is a cruel disorder and untreated it can rob a person of all light and joy.  It is NOT something to be taken lightly.

• Like 1