Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Enormous' wildcat found in Aberdeenshire

Commander CMG

Looks like an typical domesticated cat to me.   4 foot long would be huge though.  

• Like 5

Clearly a domestic cat, maybe a big one but i just laughed seeing the video... but still, Felis silvestris silvestris look like a feral domestic cat...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Looks like an typical domesticated cat to me.   4 foot long would be huge though.  

They do look like a domestic cat but larger, they have a distinctive black tipped tail and generally quite a stocky feline... very elusive and difficult to see even when you know they are in the area.. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Clearly a domestic cat, maybe a big one but i just laughed seeing the video... but still, Felis silvestris silvestris look like a feral domestic cat...

It might look like a feral domestic cat., but 100% definitely a Wildcat.. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I believe the Sottish Wildcat is the last remaining species of wild feline in the British Isles.

2014-11-30_ScottishWildcat_ROW1327571424

I believe you are correct, given non of the other wildcat sightings and photo's have been proven, I loved the Lynx but the Scottish Wildcat is definitely "The Spirit of the Highlands" 

• Like 4

Pal N, are  you on here somewhere? 

I can't see wherethey're getting the 4' from, but it's a beautiful animal. 

7 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Pal N, are  you on here somewhere? 

I can't see wherethey're getting the 4' from, but it's a beautiful animal. 

I am assuming the food that was spread on the tree trunk is at a marked position, where they can get an accurate size of the puddy cat? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ohelemapit said:

I am assuming the food that was spread on the tree trunk is at a marked position, where they can get an accurate size of the puddy cat? 

Don't know, but this'll be making it's appearance on the pro groups soon, and I'll let you know what they say. Personally, and this comes from the fully authoratitive position of someone who knows sod all about the species, I think it's probably smaller. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Don't know, but this'll be making it's appearance on the pro groups soon, and I'll let you know what they say. Personally, and this comes from the fully authoratitive position of someone who knows sod all about the species, I think it's probably smaller. 

I think you are correct, probably a little smaller but not much.. It would be an educated guess even for any Authoritative figure, unless they could measure that "tree trunk"... Beautiful specimen non the less. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ohelemapit said:

I think you are correct, probably a little smaller but not much.. It would be an educated guess even for any Authoritative figure, unless they could measure that "tree trunk"... Beautiful specimen non the less. 

Exactly, however big it turns out to be isn't the point. The main thing is that we still have a wild felid in the British Isles and this is a great opportunity to see it in its environment in a non intrusive and considered way. 

I do sometimes get hung up on minor details what I should have said right from the start is thanks for posting this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

Exactly, however big it turns out to be isn't the point. The main thing is that we still have a wild felid in the British Isles and this is a great opportunity to see it in its environment in a non intrusive and considered way. 

I do sometimes get hung up on minor details what I should have said right from the start is thanks for posting this. 

I fully agree, I never get hung up with the minor details of the outdoors, I have spent most of my life outdoors and in the wilderness, even now, I spend at least 7 hours a day out in the woods but mainly on the Haworth Moors with the dogs.I always, take time out to say hello to the Sun, even during the "Beats from the East" when she was beaten back by it, the pack and I always try to socialize with the sheep and deer... I never take my surrounding for granted, too many people don't appreciate what surrounds them. 

• Like 1

Just heard over on the FT that thus animal's size is considered to be exceptional by at least one expert, Dr Paul O'Donoghue, the group's scientific advisor. According to him, he'd never seen one approaching its size before. Unfortunately I don't have the source for thus quote, but it comes from a reliable poster. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Just heard over on the FT that thus animal's size is considered to be exceptional by at least one expert, Dr Paul O'Donoghue, the group's scientific advisor. According to him, he'd never seen one approaching its size before. Unfortunately I don't have the source for thus quote, but it comes from a reliable poster. 

I don't need a source mate, I am pretty positive its a big "puddy cat". Thanks for the info though, really appreciate it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Here's a couple of sources where he is quoted...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/28/scottish-wildcat-nicknamed-beast-may-largest-ever-seen/

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/03/28/scottish-wildcat-nicknamed-the-beast-caught-on-camera/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Cheers Stiff..nice find.. love the comment in the first link? "Some people say that the wildcat doesn't exist anymore"... I was watching night footage and daylight footage last week with 3 cats in it lol  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essan said:

The tail is the main giveaway - domestic cats have much thinner, tapered tails.   That's definitely a wildcat.

http://www.scottishwildcataction.org/about-wildcats/how-to-identify-a-scottish-wildcat/

I've got a cat with a lot of Maine Coon in him and his tail puts that guy's to shame.  :lol:  I'll see if my wife has a photo on her FB page.

Edited by Merc14

You people are nuts.  That thing is a cat.  Like the one the lives in your house.  It doesn't even look very big. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ohelemapit said:

They do look like a domestic cat but larger, they have a distinctive black tipped tail and generally quite a stocky feline... very elusive and difficult to see even when you know they are in the area.. 

Does it have a scientific name for its species?  

When I grew up in Missouri, we had a cat that was a bobcat/ housecat mix.   It was pretty good size.   I had a sister-in-law that was afraid of it so much that she rarely came over.   When we moved away, we left it there because it mostly lived off the land anyway.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Does it have a scientific name for its species?  

When I grew up in Missouri, we had a cat that was a bobcat/ housecat mix.   It was pretty good size.   I had a sister-in-law that was afraid of it so much that she rarely came over.   When we moved away, we left it there because it mostly lived off the land anyway.  

The Scottish wildcat (Felis silvestris grampia), or Highlands tiger,

• Like 2