Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nebra Sky Disc

Brandy333

https://www.ancient.eu/article/235/the-nebra-sky-disc---ancient-map-of-the-stars/

This disc was discovered in 1999 and is from the Bronze-Age, dating back to 1600 BC.   It is thought to be the earliest known source of astronomical knowledge in the world.   The belief is that it was a guide for planting crops.   Some think it originated from ancient aliens.  There are symbols on it depicting the sun, moon and stars, so whoever made it had knowledge of the cosmos.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

There are symbols on it depicting the sun, moon and stars, so whoever made it had knowledge of the cosmos.

Whoever made it had spotted that there were various celestial orbs - sun, moon and stars - in the terrestrial sky.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

Whoever made it had spotted that there were various celestial orbs - sun, moon and stars - in the terrestrial sky.

That's right :D,  which forms part of the cosmos.

2 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

https://www.ancient.eu/article/235/the-nebra-sky-disc---ancient-map-of-the-stars/

This disc was discovered in 1999 and is from the Bronze-Age, dating back to 1600 BC.   It is thought to be the earliest known source of astronomical knowledge in the world.   The belief is that it was a guide for planting crops.   Some think it originated from ancient aliens.  There are symbols on it depicting the sun, moon and stars, so whoever made it had knowledge of the cosmos.

So, are you proposing any sort of conversation about the disc by starting this thread, or is it just some version of virtual show and tell where you haven't done very much research for the telling part?

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Windowpane said:

The ancient aliens didn't get around much......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

So, are you proposing any sort of conversation about the disc by starting this thread, or is it just some version of virtual show and tell where you haven't done very much research for the telling part?

--Jaylemurph

I thought it was an interesting topic, and other topics, for which intelligent people would find of interest as myself, but I see that there are no individuals here beside myself that fit that bill.   So long and goodbye.  

Edited by Brandy333
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

I thought it was an interesting topic, and other topics, for which intelligent people would find of interest as myself, but I see that there are no individuals here beside myself that fit that bill.   So long and goodbye.  

This is the ancient mysteries and alternative history forum. Starting a thread here r usually means you're proposing some alternative possibilities of history or objects. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

First off thanks for sharing. an enjoyable read.

Second, if it’s any consolation these dudes would boo Santa Claus on Christmas Day. 

<_<

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Second, if it’s any consolation these dudes would boo Santa Claus on Christmas Day. 

<_<

:tu:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Windowpane said:

8 hours ago, Piney said:

The ancient aliens didn't get around much......

No, no, you've had the wool pulled over your eyes, Piney!

By placing representations of the sun, moon and stars alone on the Nebra Sky Disc, the ancient aliens were effectively concealing their knowledge of other parts of the cosmos ...

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

Hi Brandy

We have discussed this disc at other times over the years that I have been here. A search of the forum may be of benefit to you.

jmccr8

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Brandy333 said:

It is an interesting topic but to be fair you didn't really give a point for discussion. The rest of the post is just unnecessary sorry.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Brandy333 said:

Watch the screen door on your way out.

Harte

• Like 3

That's a bit rude. 

She posted to the wrong forum and the usual lot jumped on her like she was coming in with the collected works of Sitchin von Hancock. Y'all need to dial it back some. 

• Like 3

I should have held the screen door open for her.

Harte

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShadowSot said:

That's a bit rude. 

She posted to the wrong forum and the usual lot jumped on her like she was coming in with the collected works of Sitchin von Hancock. Y'all need to dial it back some. 

I just... there are forum rules and policies and practices. A culture, if you will (although I know that word is kind of fraught 'round here). I think it behooves people to be aware of those before posting, in the same way you wouldn't go to New Orleans and scream out, "What a dump! Why built a city in a swamp!" After all, it /is/ a discussion forum, and the OP -- who's got more than a few posts and a few months here under her belt -- left literally nothing to discuss! If she had been a brand-new user or had left so much as a "what do you guys think?" I would never have posted.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

On March 28, 2018 at 8:01 PM, Captain Risky said:

First off thanks for sharing. an enjoyable read.

<_<

Only if he's late. I cannot abide delayed toys.

• Like 6

for those that don't know what the Nebra Sky disc looks and why its so unique here it is...

Image result for nebra sky disc

Image result for nebra sky disc

• Like 4

It appears to be a cool item that still is not fully understood.

I doubt it really could be used as a map of the sky, but it could symbolically be used to tell stories and such, I suppose. Maybe even Creation Myths. 

How big is this thing? Is it big enough that it could have been strapped across a round shield? The holes would have made it easy to strap it onto a round backing of wood.

EDIT: Oh, Captain Risky's link says it is only a third of a meter across, so about a foot wide. Probably too small to be a shield cover.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Jayle's Drooly Basset Master Hounds deliberately planted this disc under the king's loo in Atlantis. God knows how it got here.

• Like 2

I was reading up on what kind of culture might have produced this disc.... And came up with the Unetice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unetice_culture

And what shows up on the Wiki page for Unetice as an example item of the culture?

220px-Nebra_Scheibe.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

It appears to be a cool item that still is not fully understood.

I doubt it really could be used as a map of the sky, but it could symbolically be used to tell stories and such, I suppose. Maybe even Creation Myths. 

How big is this thing? Is it big enough that it could have been strapped across a round shield? The holes would have made it easy to strap it onto a round backing of wood.

EDIT: Oh, Captain Risky's link says it is only a third of a meter across, so about a foot wide. Probably too small to be a shield cover.

Since it was found with 2 swords and a axe head it could be a ceremonial shield boss. The outer wood and leather long rotted away.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

in the same way you wouldn't go to New Orleans and scream out, "What a dump! Why built a city in a swamp!"

That explains why I started off on such a bad foot there.  My Aunt Sissy would scarcely talk to me.   But I told her to come and see us in Houston.  It is at least 30' above sea level most times and we concreted over the swamp.  Don't know where all of the mosquitoes came from.

• Like 2