Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Kota

Cases that stick with you

16 posts in this topic

Kota

Personally, there’s a few cases that have stuck with me over my years of online researching, we don’t have a lot of this type of thing where I’m from so I’m curious - what ones have stuck with you?

• Darlie Routier 
  • Cheryl Ann Commesso
  • Monique Daniels
  • Addie Hall and Zach Bowen 
  • Elizabeth Short 
  • Like 5

ouija ouija

Hi Kota, welcome to UM. :) I have to admit I haven't heard of any of the cases you mention. I love discussing crimes here and trying to solve them. Currently, I'm interested in the deaths of Rebecca Zahau and Max Shacknai at the Spreckel's Mansion in Coronado which is in the news at the moment. I'm interested in this case because it seems to me that someone is going to get away with murder under the guise of suicide. Also, it seems that we will never know what happened to Max, which is frustrating.

I'm still interested in the Jonbenet Ramsey case which is also frustrating because it appears we will never know the truth. Same thing with Sherri Papini who went missing for three weeks; I'd love to know the truth in that case. I found the Casey Anthony case fascinating because it was the first time I was able to follow a case right from the first 911 call, through all the police interviews and then everything that went on in court.  Yet another case where we will never know the truth, I'm afraid.

Then there's the deaths of eight members of the Rhoden family in Pike County, Ohio. The trail seems to have gone cold there so I suppose it could be years before someone comes up with a confession ...... if they ever do.

But the case that touched me the most was that of Warriena Wright who 'fell' to her death from Gable Tostee's balcony. Warriena was from New Zealand but was visiting Australia's Gold Coast. Gable Tostee got away with that and I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before he kills again.

• Like 4

Kota

The Jonbennet Ramsey case along with the Casey Anthony one interest me too! 

Id love to see the Jonbennet one solved but I don’t think it’ll ever happen :(

Im from New Zealand so the Warriena Wright case was all over the news! It was crazy, it’s terrifying to think they met on Tinder, me and my long term partner met on there, so scary to think of the people using it!!

• Like 1

ChaosRose

Elizabeth Short most definitely. 

Also, I've never been able to get over the Manson murders, especially Sharon Tate. 

Such a beautiful young soon to be mother...and for what?

There were details I heard about the murders. How victims begged for their lives, cried for their mothers as they were being stabbed...how Sharon begged for the life of her unborn child. 

Some things are just too horrible to have happened. 

• Like 3

PhoebeIzabella

The case of Rebecca Zahow/Max Shacknai has really affected me. I believe his death wasn't an accident and that her's wasn't a suicide

• Like 1

ouija ouija

Kota, I started this topic 18mths ago:

The thing that stood out for me was the position of Warriena's feet when she was dangling from/being held over the balcony. A witness from the flat immediately below Tostee's claimed Warriena's feet were pointing away from the building and I felt that this would be impossible unless she was being held, by Tostee, over the balcony. Do you remember anything about that?

Regi

The case in which I've been most entralled is commonly referred to as The West Memphis Three.

• Like 2

Regi
On 3/29/2018 at 2:11 AM, Kota said:

Personally, there’s a few cases that have stuck with me over my years of online researching, we don’t have a lot of this type of thing where I’m from so I’m curious - what ones have stuck with you?

• Darlie Routier 
  • Cheryl Ann Commesso
  • Monique Daniels
  • Addie Hall and Zach Bowen 
  • Elizabeth Short 

The Short case is bizarre merely because of the condition of the body, but other than that, what about it?

As for the others on your list, I don't think I know about any those cases, but as for Darlie Routier, what is it about that case that "sticks" with you?

Kota
On 4/3/2018 at 4:07 AM, regi said:

The Short case is bizarre merely because of the condition of the body, but other than that, what about it?

As for the others on your list, I don't think I know about any those cases, but as for Darlie Routier, what is it about that case that "sticks" with you?

The short case; due to the disappearance of evidence and the theories of possible cover ups, it’s not merely due to the body, there’s so many things that have gone “missing” in the evidence lockup.

and the Routier case, I dunno, there’s so much that makes me think YES she’s guilty, but little inconsistent pieces here and there continue to strike me a little, I can’t make up my mind about it.

Kota
On 4/2/2018 at 11:16 PM, ouija ouija said:

Kota, I started this topic 18mths ago:

The thing that stood out for me was the position of Warriena's feet when she was dangling from/being held over the balcony. A witness from the flat immediately below Tostee's claimed Warriena's feet were pointing away from the building and I felt that this would be impossible unless she was being held, by Tostee, over the balcony. Do you remember anything about that?

I don’t actually!! With how everything is I’m not surprised I missed something like that but I’ll definitely look into it! That’s such a massive piece of info I can’t believe I haven’t heard it before!

• Like 1

Regi
13 hours ago, Kota said:

The short case; due to the disappearance of evidence and the theories of possible cover ups, it’s not merely due to the body, there’s so many things that have gone “missing” in the evidence lockup.

Re: the Short case, I actually don't recall theories of possible cover-ups or anything about missing evidence. Anyway, I asked simply because to me, the case is fundamentally no different than any other case involving the mutilation of a body.

13 hours ago, Kota said:

and the Routier case, I dunno, there’s so much that makes me think YES she’s guilty, but little inconsistent pieces here and there continue to strike me a little, I can’t make up my mind about it.

Well, I don't know what you find inconsistent, but it's a matter of weighing that against all other evidence which is consistent.

Grimscythe

The case of Ronald Gene Simmons is the one that sticks with me. Not because there was anything off about it (well, there were some pretty messed up things going on), but because of its proximity. Also, my family knew several of the victims - it was a shooting spree in Russellville, AR.

• Like 2

Regi
14 hours ago, Grimscythe said:

The case of Ronald Gene Simmons is the one that sticks with me. Not because there was anything off about it (well, there were some pretty messed up things going on), but because of its proximity. Also, my family knew several of the victims - it was a shooting spree in Russellville, AR.

That's an unusual case! Among other things, Simmons refused to appeal his conviction, chose the method of his execution and was executed a mere 2 1/2 years after he'd committed the murders! http://www.rivervalleyleader.com/life_in_the_river_valley/article_3fab88f0-8fda-11e4-9c08-b3bd14fc427a.html

Skulduggery

The skull found on the sidewalk on Marcy Street in Akron, Ohio.

Stuck with me for some reason (what a great mental image), and I still follow it whenever it's mentioned on news sites (not often). It doesn't look like it'll be solved anytime too soon.

• Like 2

Regi

What gets to me the most in any case is when I know the victim must have experienced sheer terror. Needless to say, it's an aspect I try to not even think about.

• Sad 1

The Caspian Hare

The Long Island Serial Killer (possibly active right now)

https://www.longisland.com/long-island-serial-killer.html

Amongst the beautiful beach dunes and picturesque homes lining Long Island’s South Shore lay a deep, dark, and tragic underbelly; within this suburban utopia lay the most awful of secrets that have finally been laid bare for all the world to see, save the identity of the culprit who committed the crimes. We speak of none other than the infamous Long Island Serial Killer – also known as the Gilgo Beach Killer or the Craigslist Ripper – an unidentified individual allegedly responsible for the murder of  between 10 and 17 women – and one man – and the subsequent dumping of their bodies along the Ocean Parkway over a period of nearly 20 years.

• Like 2