Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cases that stick with you

Kota

Personally, there’s a few cases that have stuck with me over my years of online researching, we don’t have a lot of this type of thing where I’m from so I’m curious - what ones have stuck with you?

• Darlie Routier 
  • Cheryl Ann Commesso
  • Monique Daniels
  • Addie Hall and Zach Bowen 
  • Elizabeth Short 
  • Like 7

Hi Kota, welcome to UM. :) I have to admit I haven't heard of any of the cases you mention. I love discussing crimes here and trying to solve them. Currently, I'm interested in the deaths of Rebecca Zahau and Max Shacknai at the Spreckel's Mansion in Coronado which is in the news at the moment. I'm interested in this case because it seems to me that someone is going to get away with murder under the guise of suicide. Also, it seems that we will never know what happened to Max, which is frustrating.

I'm still interested in the Jonbenet Ramsey case which is also frustrating because it appears we will never know the truth. Same thing with Sherri Papini who went missing for three weeks; I'd love to know the truth in that case. I found the Casey Anthony case fascinating because it was the first time I was able to follow a case right from the first 911 call, through all the police interviews and then everything that went on in court.  Yet another case where we will never know the truth, I'm afraid.

Then there's the deaths of eight members of the Rhoden family in Pike County, Ohio. The trail seems to have gone cold there so I suppose it could be years before someone comes up with a confession ...... if they ever do.

But the case that touched me the most was that of Warriena Wright who 'fell' to her death from Gable Tostee's balcony. Warriena was from New Zealand but was visiting Australia's Gold Coast. Gable Tostee got away with that and I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before he kills again.

• Like 5

The Jonbennet Ramsey case along with the Casey Anthony one interest me too! 

Id love to see the Jonbennet one solved but I don’t think it’ll ever happen :(

Im from New Zealand so the Warriena Wright case was all over the news! It was crazy, it’s terrifying to think they met on Tinder, me and my long term partner met on there, so scary to think of the people using it!!

• Like 1

Elizabeth Short most definitely. 

Also, I've never been able to get over the Manson murders, especially Sharon Tate. 

Such a beautiful young soon to be mother...and for what?

There were details I heard about the murders. How victims begged for their lives, cried for their mothers as they were being stabbed...how Sharon begged for the life of her unborn child. 

Some things are just too horrible to have happened. 

• Like 4

The case of Rebecca Zahow/Max Shacknai has really affected me. I believe his death wasn't an accident and that her's wasn't a suicide

• Like 2

Kota, I started this topic 18mths ago:

The thing that stood out for me was the position of Warriena's feet when she was dangling from/being held over the balcony. A witness from the flat immediately below Tostee's claimed Warriena's feet were pointing away from the building and I felt that this would be impossible unless she was being held, by Tostee, over the balcony. Do you remember anything about that?

• Like 2

On 3/29/2018 at 2:11 AM, Kota said:

Personally, there’s a few cases that have stuck with me over my years of online researching, we don’t have a lot of this type of thing where I’m from so I’m curious - what ones have stuck with you?

• Darlie Routier 
  • Cheryl Ann Commesso
  • Monique Daniels
  • Elizabeth Short 

The Short case is bizarre merely because of the condition of the body, but other than that, what about it?

As for the others on your list, I don't think I know about any those cases, but as for Darlie Routier, what is it about that case that "sticks" with you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:07 AM, regi said:

The Short case is bizarre merely because of the condition of the body, but other than that, what about it?

As for the others on your list, I don't think I know about any those cases, but as for Darlie Routier, what is it about that case that "sticks" with you?

The short case; due to the disappearance of evidence and the theories of possible cover ups, it’s not merely due to the body, there’s so many things that have gone “missing” in the evidence lockup.

and the Routier case, I dunno, there’s so much that makes me think YES she’s guilty, but little inconsistent pieces here and there continue to strike me a little, I can’t make up my mind about it.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:16 PM, ouija ouija said:

Kota, I started this topic 18mths ago:

The thing that stood out for me was the position of Warriena's feet when she was dangling from/being held over the balcony. A witness from the flat immediately below Tostee's claimed Warriena's feet were pointing away from the building and I felt that this would be impossible unless she was being held, by Tostee, over the balcony. Do you remember anything about that?

I don’t actually!! With how everything is I’m not surprised I missed something like that but I’ll definitely look into it! That’s such a massive piece of info I can’t believe I haven’t heard it before!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kota said:

The short case; due to the disappearance of evidence and the theories of possible cover ups, it’s not merely due to the body, there’s so many things that have gone “missing” in the evidence lockup.

Re: the Short case, I actually don't recall theories of possible cover-ups or anything about missing evidence. Anyway, I asked simply because to me, the case is fundamentally no different than any other case involving the mutilation of a body.

13 hours ago, Kota said:

and the Routier case, I dunno, there’s so much that makes me think YES she’s guilty, but little inconsistent pieces here and there continue to strike me a little, I can’t make up my mind about it.

Well, I don't know what you find inconsistent, but it's a matter of weighing that against all other evidence which is consistent.

• 4 weeks later...

The case of Ronald Gene Simmons is the one that sticks with me. Not because there was anything off about it (well, there were some pretty messed up things going on), but because of its proximity. Also, my family knew several of the victims - it was a shooting spree in Russellville, AR.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Grimscythe said:

The case of Ronald Gene Simmons is the one that sticks with me. Not because there was anything off about it (well, there were some pretty messed up things going on), but because of its proximity. Also, my family knew several of the victims - it was a shooting spree in Russellville, AR.

That's an unusual case! Among other things, Simmons refused to appeal his conviction, chose the method of his execution and was executed a mere 2 1/2 years after he'd committed the murders! http://www.rivervalleyleader.com/life_in_the_river_valley/article_3fab88f0-8fda-11e4-9c08-b3bd14fc427a.html

• Like 1

The skull found on the sidewalk on Marcy Street in Akron, Ohio.

Stuck with me for some reason (what a great mental image), and I still follow it whenever it's mentioned on news sites (not often). It doesn't look like it'll be solved anytime too soon.

• Like 3

What gets to me the most in any case is when I know the victim must have experienced sheer terror. Needless to say, it's an aspect I try to not even think about.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

The Long Island Serial Killer (possibly active right now)

https://www.longisland.com/long-island-serial-killer.html

Amongst the beautiful beach dunes and picturesque homes lining Long Island’s South Shore lay a deep, dark, and tragic underbelly; within this suburban utopia lay the most awful of secrets that have finally been laid bare for all the world to see, save the identity of the culprit who committed the crimes. We speak of none other than the infamous Long Island Serial Killer – also known as the Gilgo Beach Killer or the Craigslist Ripper – an unidentified individual allegedly responsible for the murder of  between 10 and 17 women – and one man – and the subsequent dumping of their bodies along the Ocean Parkway over a period of nearly 20 years.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, Regi said:

Re: the Short case, I actually don't recall theories of possible cover-ups or anything about missing evidence. Anyway, I asked simply because to me, the case is fundamentally no different than any other case involving the mutilation of a body.

If I remember right when some of the police were following up on Mark Hansen/Leslie Dillon, they were essentially made to abandon that line of inquiry.  Despite the fact it was looking pretty damning for them (i.e. they found a bloody bathtub and bedclothes at a motel the two were at).  I seem to recall something about Dillon possibly erasing hotel entries so that the motel room couldn't be definitively linked to them.  Something like that.  I'm convinced one of those two are guilty although not sure which.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 3:11 AM, Kota said:

She was actually a cousin of one of my neighbors when I was growing up.  She was up at their house a few times and my parents were good friends with them so I was up at their house a lot.  So weird to be able to say I sort of (not really) knew someone who got killed... in a pretty gruesome way too.

• Like 2

I'm mostly into older crime, not so much the newer ones.  In general, 1950s is kind of my cut off.  Chalk it up to being a history major in college, I dunno.  But mine would be:

•  Villisca and the Midwest Axe Murders, also the series in Texas/Louisiana at the same time
  •  Theodore Coneys ("Spiderman of Denver")
  •  The Toledo Clubber
  •  The murder of Mabel Mayer
  •  David Shearer, it was in the town where I went to college, nearly all the documentation has vanished and it's a bit doubtful if it was even a murder at all, it's just a quest of mine to see if I can track down any of the other documents.
  •  Alonzo Robinson
Edited by SecularHaze77
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

The "one" sticks to me is a combination of two. I believe to be linked. 

Have you seen the movie DEVILS KNOT and the entire 1st season of TRUE DETECTIVE ? There's so many things they have in common. The area. And the time lines. If you haven't watched them back to back & taken notes on them. Don't nay-say me on this. 

In a month or so I should have a laptop again and will be happy to explain more of my why's on this but to do long entries on a phone I find a pain. 

3 hours ago, RedddWing said:

The "one" sticks to me is a combination of two. I believe to be linked. 

Have you seen the movie DEVILS KNOT and the entire 1st season of TRUE DETECTIVE ? There's so many things they have in common. The area. And the time lines. If you haven't watched them back to back & taken notes on them. Don't nay-say me on this. 

In a month or so I should have a laptop again and will be happy to explain more of my why's on this but to do long entries on a phone I find a pain. 

I look forward to your analysis on this topic. As I've followed the WM3 case for...YEARS and did not see any significant parallels between season 1 of TD and that case. Season 3 definitely did it's best in the beginning to mimic it however.

i like many of the classics and then many i liked were solved, or at least at a dead end, my ADD will make me loose interest if the mystery is solved or its so dead that its just one of those where every few years some attention junkie wanting $$$ writes a book how their xxxx was the unknown killer or?

but here is the one that keeps poking at me,

i realize no one is known to be actually harmed in any way this could very well be a huge hoax, i might be askew on my thinking here but it really sets off my OCD this one hasnt been explained, dedunked, solved, its hard for me to grasp no one has popped up and known for sure proven who those kids are is this real or fake.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:39 PM, Kota said:

The Jonbennet Ramsey case along with the Casey Anthony one interest me too! 

Id love to see the Jonbennet one solved but I don’t think it’ll ever happen :(

Im from New Zealand so the Warriena Wright case was all over the news! It was crazy, it’s terrifying to think they met on Tinder, me and my long term partner met on there, so scary to think of the people using it!!

I don't follow much of this stuff but I know the Jon Benet Ramsey story and I am sure the brother or some family friend killed her.  The whole family is wack/crazy and I may be wrong, but it seemed like they were protecting someone and I think it makes the most sense that it was the big brother.  Maybe he was jealous of the attention she got and considering the way they treated the girl it is likely they also treated the son as if he was an adult as well.

P.S. maybe I should have said "sick" instead of wack/crazy

Edited by Desertrat56

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't follow much of this stuff but I know the Jon Benet Ramsey story and I am sure the brother or some family friend killed her.  The whole family is wack/crazy and I may be wrong, but it seemed like they were protecting someone and I think it makes the most sense that it was the big brother.  Maybe he was jealous of the attention she got and considering the way they treated the girl it is likely they also treated the son as if he was an adult as well.

P.S. maybe I should have said "sick" instead of wack/crazy

well, wording aside i wont judge what you want to call them, my feeling i got was like some salems lot stepford wifes kind of twilight zone version of a real family,

i too had serious thoughts about brother or father, or both, my guess is they didnt "treat" the son much at all and basically he lived in a shadow of the sister,

resentment, jealousy? even perhaps sex crime who knows but if your theory is correct then i would think both father and mother would have to be involved in the cover up part, son if not involved in her death might not have been involved in the coverup, the mother passed away dad started another family i dont know about son, but i doubt we will ever learn the truth.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, the13bats said:

well, wording aside i wont judge what you want to call them, my feeling i got was like some salems lot stepford wifes kind of twilight zone version of a real family,

i too had serious thoughts about brother or father, or both, my guess is they didnt "treat" the son much at all and basically he lived in a shadow of the sister,

resentment, jealousy? even perhaps sex crime who knows but if your theory is correct then i would think both father and mother would have to be involved in the cover up part, son if not involved in her death might not have been involved in the coverup, the mother passed away dad started another family i dont know about son, but i doubt we will ever learn the truth.

If you have ever lived in a "stepford wives" community you would know how sick it is.  Sick is the only appropriate word in my opinion.  Go spend a month in Midland, Texas and you will find yourself surrounded by Stepford wives and their misogynist husbands, preachers etc.